Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
When do we get to stop taking the steps of mitigation like social distancing and wearing mask? Some in my community have already stopped this even without the vaccine (I know these are the problem ones that aren't contributing to open society, viral mitigation, and ability to travel). Yet in my home we haven't stopped our mitigation efforts despite our vaccine status. Shouldn't we get to stop at some point after our vaccinations like the ones who haven't even had or refuse to take it are? That is, for me, the main point of getting the vaccine and how I'm selling it to my unscientific friends...sure, I don't want to get the virus or spread it, but being that the virus isn't likely extremely dangerous (percentage wise) for me personally that wasn't the main reason I got on board so fast. The main reason was that I work in a hospital, to comply with doctors advice, AND mostly so that we can move on as a society. The question for me remains, when will society let us? AND why would people stubbornly refuse to be a part of this vaccine process to actually attempt to force that to happen?
Rack, As a pathologist (Lab Doctor) who is married a surgical nurse, who have worn face masks for hours at a time for most of our lives, we don't think wearing a mask as a" burden". We want to set an example to others who do not fully understand the value of always properly wearing a mask , keeping a safe distance and getting the vaccine just as soon as possible. Even now people are extremely careless about how they wear their masks, keeping safe distances, remain fearful of getting the vaccine.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Rack, As a pathologist (Lab Doctor) who is married a surgical nurse, who have worn face masks for hours at a time for most of our lives, we don't think wearing a mask as a" burden". We want to set an example to others who do not fully understand the value of always properly wearing a mask , keeping a safe distance and getting the vaccine just as soon as possible. Even now people are extremely careless about how they wear their masks, keeping safe distances, remain fearful of getting the vaccine.
Just speaking for myself here, wearing a mask is a little annoying but not a huge deal. More bothersome is trying to understand everyone who sounds like Kenny on Southpark. Some get pretty cute with their masks and they make it hard to understand. The biggest bummer is the way it's dampened the fun at events like college sports or build a bear.

As Rx points out it's not storming the beach at Normandy but it's okay to want our old life back.

Sep 3, 2010
S
Certiantly the purpose is midigation but as yet there is no evidence that it slows the spread of the virus.
For myself I suspect that everyone I meet May have the virus and act accordingly. If someone says he was tested and was found negative I know that does not exclude them from having the virus at at the present time. Plus the test they used may be wrong...and yet they are infected and emit the virus. If they say I took the test and it was positive I know the test may be wrongly positive...yet I still take the usual steps by keeping a safe distance , and by wearing my mask even, even after I am fully vaccinated.
So, at what point do you stop wearing a mask if ever?

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
S

So, at what point do you stop wearing a mask if ever?
The longer we allow this virus to hang around the more likely we are to see variants which will be more difficult to completely stamp out. I fear that when people begin to hear less and less about this virus they will be less likely to take the vaccine, wear masks and keep safe distances allowing the virus to change and infect more and more people once again.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yeah I do same, just wondering if you had a prediction on when you think we can and will return to semi normal daily life again?

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
There is big problem about too much ridiculous misinfo based upon flawed science going out against vaccines for COVID-19. Who knows how many people won't get vaccinated because of it?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Even prior to the tribes getting involved Oklahoma was knocking it out the park. Tribes helped as well after they got their allotments from IHS. Also, the tribes released it to the general public in many cases because of some lack of demand which indeed helped the overall numbers.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
got 2nd dose Moderna yesterday...as with the 1st dose, this one kicked my @$$ also! Same scenarios both times, took shot in AM, hit with chills around midnight, toss and turn all night cuz it feels like Hulk Hogan landed on me from the top ropes. Layed in bed most of day, with BAD headache, slight fever, and body aches. One interesting thing this time was when I was going to bed, I could barely move my arm above my head, it hurt like crazy, after the "chills" episode, the pain was barely noticeable in arm...weird.
I'm glad it's over...if "they" ever decide we need to take vaccines yearly or boosters, or whatever, count me out...I'll take my chances from now on! I stopped receiving flu shots many years ago, because it always kicked me down...
anyway, there it is...get your shots...not sure which one is better, but Moderna destroyed me, daughter got J&J and was "sick" for only a few hours....
It's really interesting to me how some people have these semi sever reactions to the shots while others have basically a little bit of a sore arm. Thankfully all me, my wife and parents had was a sore arm an a tiny bit of fatigue. I wonder if the folks who have sever reactions would have had worse covid? Honestly have not a clue on this...but it would be interesting to know.
Check blood types. Might be a similar situation. If any are O+/- then maybe less severe reactions like with covid.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Yeah I do same, just wondering if you had a prediction on when you think we can and will return to semi normal daily life again?
My guess is by July 4. Hopefully we will learn from this and be much better prepared for the next dangerous virus that we will face. But as someone said those who forget history are bound to repeat it.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
While y'all are high fiving each other, remember that some of us lost dear loved ones just before the vaccinations started.
I have sympathy for you and others who have suffered because of this pandemic. However, you have to be excited about the progress in vaccinations and rapid decline in case and deaths. They are preventing countless other deaths and will get us out of this mess.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I have sympathy for you and others who have suffered because of this pandemic. However, you have to be excited about the progress in vaccinations and rapid decline in case and deaths. They are preventing countless other deaths and will get us out of this mess.
Countless deaths could have been prevented with a better coordinated response. One of those countless deaths was my sister-in-law. But y'all go on high fiving each other.