Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1366868985627742210
This is prepublication, so please don't share it, but this is something I've written that's about to be published (part of a much larger work):

As we discussed in the earlier section on vaccines, there remains a concern about the use of fetal tissue cell cultures (derived from aborted fetuses) in vaccine development, of particular concern to religious conservatives. However, of the first two COVID-19 vaccine candidates from Moderna and Pfizer, neither have used fetal tissue cell cultures in their actual production (though fetal cell cultures were used in early testing). Some other vaccine candidates, such as the Johnson and Johnson product, have used fetal cell lines in both early testing and in subsequent production.16-19 Current guidelines from many religious authorities recommend the use of such vaccines in spite of these concerns, based on the utilitarian idea that widespread immunization resulting in herd immunity is a desirable goal (see earlier discussion on moral complicity).​

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
As someone who is pro life it’s our responsibility to conserve and protect all life. Not to rank the importance of each life. I must say that it’s a bit of a dilemma and not cut and dry in the case of this particular vaccine. That said, I can appreciate that the bishops have made this distinction and will steer their flock to the vaccines that have actually shown to not use fetal tissue on their research. This isn’t telling them not to take it at all (as that wouldn’t be sort of a contradiction on their pro life stance) it simply points to which is preferred.

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
As someone who is pro life it’s our responsibility to conserve and protect all life. Not to rank the importance of each life. I must say that it’s a bit of a dilemma and not cut and dry in the case of this particular vaccine. That said, I can appreciate that the bishops have made this distinction and will steer their flock to the vaccines that have actually shown to not use fetal tissue on their research. This isn’t telling them not to take it at all (as that wouldn’t be sort of a contradiction on their pro life stance) it simply points to which is preferred.
Yes because Catholic bishops have shown to care about the health and safety of children.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yes because Catholic bishops have shown to care about the health and safety of children.
I'm not Catholic and was horrified by their sex scandal among some of their leaders, but I don't let what stupid and sinful humans do dictate how I view my Christian faith. These two things are not alike, but feel free to judge them in a myopic way.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Bottom line: 78.6 million doses of vaccines have been given as of this am in the US. New case numbers are at June lows as of today on the state. We are nearing the end of this hopefully.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
A couple questions.
Did your Dad get an anti body test or have a positive covid test?
I got the vaccine...both courses and it was a nothing burger...same for my wife...My parents got it and they are over 80 and both had NO complications. My sister same. Over 50 million Americans are likely to have gotten the vaccine by the end of the week and VERY VERY few will say what your Dad said about it. To my knowledge we have lost 0 people of the 43 million people who have already taken it but have lost over 400,000 people out of about 28 million infections.

In sports terms in numbers of death...that works out to basically 400,000 deaths from the virus to 0 from the vaccine.

Bottom line, you are playing with your life (and maybe the life of others) by not getting the vaccine. Honestly, and I hate to say this, but it's a ignorant and unwise choice you are making.
I took the first vaccine on Monday, I had COVID in October. The vaccine has kicked my butt, I should have done the antibody test. My wife had COVID when I did as did my mom. They had no reactions

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Got my appt scheduled for dose 1. If you haven't seen yet, Chickasaw nation extended their vaccine eligibility to ALL educators (child care, elementary/middle/high, college, vocational, etc.) and their family members (age appropriate) regardless of tribal status. My wife got her 1st dose this morning through her school district but they only offered to employees.

I know I'm "skipping the line" by doing this since I'm technically phase 3 but I feel I deserve a pass with our newborn due in less than 2 weeks... If it weren't for that I would have just waited until my phase was active.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
I took the first vaccine on Monday, I had COVID in October. The vaccine has kicked my butt, I should have done the antibody test. My wife had COVID when I did as did my mom. They had no reactions
my first dose of Moderna also kicked my @$$, which I previously noted in this thread. (must have had it in Nov when I had to be quarantined, but never got tested). My reactions (which started about 14 hrs after shot) to first dose were shaking chills - which lasted a couple of hours, headache, and sluggish, also had a high temperature but didn't last long. My "sickness" from shot lasted right at 24 hours.
It appears to me the vaccines attack people differently, much like the actual Covid seems to do...

Mar 11, 2006
my first dose of Moderna also kicked my @$$, which I previously noted in this thread. (must have had it in Nov when I had to be quarantined, but never got tested). My reactions (which started about 14 hrs after shot) to first dose were shaking chills - which lasted a couple of hours, headache, and sluggish, also had a high temperature but didn't last long. My "sickness" from shot lasted right at 24 hours.
It appears to me the vaccines attack people differently, much like the actual Covid seems to do...
I had COVID in early Dec. Got the Moderna first vaccine this Saturday --- had no adverse effects. Arm mildly sore on Sunday.

Wife got first Pfizer on Friday and also had did not have a negative reaction. (She, however, never had Covid)

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Pretty much the same for me

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
Hahaha you need me to explain it you, hahaha ok.
Yes, please specifically tell me how my sarcastic comment on the Catholic Church and its attempt to have a moral position on abortion while protecting sexual abusers for years has anything to do with teachers. Please, I'll wait. You can even use small words if you think that's all I'll be able to comprehend.