Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ccine-doses-they-re-coming-say-u-s-drugmakers
U.S. Will Have Enough Vaccine for 130 Million People by End of March
On Tuesday, Johnson & Johnson said it will be ready next month to ship 20 million doses of its one-shot vaccine. That adds to a coming surge in vaccine availability, according to a Bloomberg analysis of drugmaker promises.

Along with vaccines from Pfizer Inc. and Moderna Inc., which both require two doses, the delivery targets through next month will be enough to fully vaccinate 130 million Americans.

View attachment 89074
just need to get enough people to take one of them. After reading this thread, I have serious doubts.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
just need to get enough people to take one of them. After reading this thread, I have serious doubts.
I still contend that we'll start to see problems with that as soon as April. I think it will be open to the general public around then, but not completely because of manufacturing improvements. As you get into lower risk groups, you'll see larger pockets of people not signing up and will need to open it to others. I'd love to be wrong though.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
There are lines to get the vaccine everywhere. I don’t think the bulk of people don’t want it. I have concerns but will end up getting it at some point. What is hurting the vaccine now is cases are falling everywhere and there hasn’t been enough people vaccinated for the vaccine to be the main reason.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
65 million vaccine doses given in the USA as of this am. Does anyone know if the cdc will adjust it's negative test requirement for travel into the country for folks who have both vaccines? That would incentivize many travelers to get the vaccine...would have me and most of my friends.

Last edited:

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Dude this is a weird and reaching argument as the vaccines around the world (there are several) will likely be the MAIN thing that helps to end the state of “emergency.” These things have been tested and found effective all over the planet. Almost all our and the worlds major science and medical institutions agree in this. Can you see how, if you are wrong on this, you could be adding to the problem by posting things to disparage people to get the vaccine on a public message board? We honestly need as many to get it as possible and as a conservative who wants the economy to open and to throw my mask in the trash I see it as the BEST and Quickest way to that goal. Btw I had zero side effects to the second dose four weeks ago save a sore arm and a tiny bit of fatigue. General advice....Afraid of “side effects”? You are freaking @Deere Poke, Don’t be a wimp they are very minor.
Whats weird and reaching about it. It's not a vaccine it's gene therapy, a very controlled and watched emerging science. Even in Moderna and Pfizer papers they aren't 100% sure how it's going to work against an in the wild virus. People have an immune response to a genetically engineered look alike spike protein. The whole thing is a giant experiment with no idea what the long term effects may be. Look into some of the unforeseen long term effects that have happened with gene therapy to date. It will give you pause about recommending this treatment to people in low risk groups. The first thing you have to understand is this is not a vaccine heck Pfizer and Moderna tell you that.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
When will the AstraZeneca vaccine get emergency approval by the FDA?
When their US trial finishes and they have decent clinical trial data. Their original clinical trial had a massive mistake. They caught it before it got in people's arms, but their better efficacy happened in the people who got the doses with the mistake, rendering their data hard to interpret.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Whats weird and reaching about it. It's not a vaccine it's gene therapy, a very controlled and watched emerging science. Even in Moderna and Pfizer papers they aren't 100% sure how it's going to work against an in the wild virus. People have an immune response to a genetically engineered look alike spike protein. The whole thing is a giant experiment with no idea what the long term effects may be. Look into some of the unforeseen long term effects that have happened with gene therapy to date. It will give you pause about recommending this treatment to people in low risk groups. The first thing you have to understand is this is not a vaccine heck Pfizer and Moderna tell you that.
I understand your fear, as it's ABSOLUTELY been stoked by the anti vax community in blogs and websites and podcast designed to make money and scare people and to provide additional notoriety for their owners. But, sadly you don't understand that what you are saying is actually repeating false claims...the thing was tested against the virus over and over and over and in the "wild" in massive studies on human participants, this is just FACT. Bottom line, you are going to believe whatever you have sunk your mind and your biases into...I'll just tell you, it's NOT true what you are reading and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the politics of the moment.

The quicker you understand that the better off you will be emotionally with this thing. These two vaccines that use the rna tech were developed by the companies who did it in order to get this infection under control asap. We have been taking vaccines for years and these two were also studied quite extensively before being released for several years, not months...all the government did was eliminate some paper work in the process and streamlined it so we could end the pandemic sooner.

Bottom line, look at the data and the numbers of infections, hospitalizations and death rates from covid right now...they are ALL going down fast...this is the result of partial herd immunity on the population due to the vaccine outpacing the number of infections confirmed in the entire pandemic. The fact that you don't want to call it a vaccine is also one of their main talking points on these anti vax websites, that way you can be against it and not labeled an anti-vaxer...

Bottom line you better damn well be wrong about your fears and the stuff you have put in your mind...otherwise my wife, me, my parents, my doctors, my kids and nearly everyone I know is going to be in a world of hurt from getting these vaccines which most of them have already gotten...add to them the 65 million plus additional Americans who have already taken at least one shot and you see what I'm saying. Honestly man, I just don't know why people don't want to end the virus and get on with life...but people that argue against this thing are doing exactly the opposite of helping to get on with life.

All that being said wait for the J&J vaccine if you are afraid of the new ones OR Just get the virus. Bottom line we need as many people vaccinated or get infected as possible to get this thing in the rear view mirror. Don't keep it going by being falsely informed and then spreading that "information" on public websites.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
When their US trial finishes and they have decent clinical trial data. Their original clinical trial had a massive mistake. They caught it before it got in people's arms, but their better efficacy happened in the people who got the doses with the mistake, rendering their data hard to interpret.
So did the WHO not care about this? They are rolling out AstraZeneca in Europe already.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I understand your fear, as it's ABSOLUTELY been stoked by the anti vax community in blogs and websites and podcast designed to make money and scare people and to provide additional notoriety for their owners. But, sadly you don't understand that what you are saying is actually repeating false claims...the thing was tested against the virus over and over and over and in the "wild" in massive studies on human participants, this is just FACT. Bottom line, you are going to believe whatever you have sunk your mind and your biases into...I'll just tell you, it's NOT true what you are reading and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the politics of the moment.

The quicker you understand that the better off you will be emotionally with this thing. These two vaccines that use the rna tech were developed by the companies who did it in order to get this infection under control asap. We have been taking vaccines for years and these two were also studied quite extensively before being released for several years, not months...all the government did was eliminate some paper work in the process and streamlined it so we could end the pandemic sooner.

Bottom line, look at the data and the numbers of infections, hospitalizations and death rates from covid right now...they are ALL going down fast...this is the result of partial herd immunity on the population due to the vaccine outpacing the number of infections confirmed in the entire pandemic. The fact that you don't want to call it a vaccine is also one of their main talking points...

Bottom line you better damn well be wrong about your fears and the stuff you have put in your mind...otherwise my wife, me, my parents, my doctors, my kids and nearly everyone I know is going to be in a world of hurt from getting these vaccines which most of them have already gotten...add to them the 65 million plus additional Americans who have already taken at least one shot and you see what I'm saying. Honestly man, I just don't know why people don't want to end the virus and get on with life...but people that argue against this thing are doing exactly the opposite of helping to get on with life.

All that being said wait for the J&J vaccine if you are afraid of the new ones OR Just get the virus. Bottom line we need as many people vaccinated or get infected as possible to get this thing in the rear view mirror. Don't keep it going by being falsely informed and then spreading that "information" on public websites.
Yep sounds about right. https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2021/02/18/pfizer-moderna-vaccines-study-covid-variants/

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Dude, I know some of the volunteers who took the vaccine in the trials. It WAS absolutely tested on humans in the real world and still is. The fact that they are ALSO testing it against genetically enhanced versions of the virus variant has nothing to do with that. https://www.cbs17.com/news/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-works-well-in-big-real-world-test/
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-works-big-real-world-76094997
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...accine-found-94-effective-real-world-14276192
heres one from way back when they started human testing
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covi...-covid-vaccine-tested-on-humans-shows-promise

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
I still contend that we'll start to see problems with that as soon as April. I think it will be open to the general public around then, but not completely because of manufacturing improvements. As you get into lower risk groups, you'll see larger pockets of people not signing up and will need to open it to others. I'd love to be wrong though.
I gotta say...they aren't exactly doing a good job of selling this thing. Everyone on this board is saying life gets back to normal once we all get the vaccine. That's not what Fauci has said at all. You still have to wear masks, you still aren't supposed to go to restaurants and gather indoors etc...They should be saying the exact opposite.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
So did the WHO not care about this? They are rolling out AstraZeneca in Europe already.
WHO doesn't approve vaccines like that. Europe has their own regulatory body. Also, AZ has to submit an application for authorization, which they haven't to avoid the possibility of denial. It's not a certainty, but the possibility is strong enough that they're delaying their submission until they have US data. Plus, AZ did their first trial in Europe making the EU more comfortable that it's effective in that context (demographics, strains, etc.). They haven't finished their US trial and can't make the same argument.

drbwh

Federal Marshal
Sep 20, 2006

Bottom line, look at the data and the numbers of infections, hospitalizations and death rates from covid right now...they are ALL going down fast...this is the result of partial herd immunity on the population due to the vaccine outpacing the number of infections confirmed in the entire pandemic. The fact that you don't want to call it a vaccine is also one of their main talking points on these anti vax websites, that way you can be against it and not labeled an anti-vaxer...

Lots of misinformation in this post. I’m not even going to try to address it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drbwh

Federal Marshal
Sep 20, 2006
Dude this is a weird and reaching argument as the vaccines around the world (there are several) will likely be the MAIN thing that helps to end the state of “emergency.” These things have been tested and found effective all over the planet. Almost all our and the worlds major science and medical institutions agree in this. Can you see how, if you are wrong on this, you could be adding to the problem by posting things to disparage people to get the vaccine on a public message board? We honestly need as many to get it as possible and as a conservative who wants the economy to open and to throw my mask in the trash I see it as the BEST and Quickest way to that goal. Btw I had zero side effects to the second dose four weeks ago save a sore arm and a tiny bit of fatigue. General advice....Afraid of “side effects”? You are freaking @Deere Poke, Don’t be a wimp they are very minor.
Dude, you are wasting your time. They all can’t get it fast enough.

drbwh

Federal Marshal
Sep 20, 2006
New, highly transmissible Covid-19 variants "stand to reverse" the nation's control of the pandemic and could "undermine all of our efforts" against the disease if the virus is left to proliferate in different parts of the globe, the head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.
Top U.S. health officials have warned in recent weeks that the emergence of highly contagious variants, particularly the B.1.1.7 strain that emerged in the U.K., could reverse the current downward trajectory in infections in the U.S. and delay the nation's recovery from the pandemic.
The problem isn't isolated to the United States. As the coronavirus spreads, it makes huge numbers of copies of itself, and each version is a little different from the one before it, experts say. As more people become infected, the more likely it is that problematic mutations will arise.
"Even if you were not necessarily leaning towards wanting to be part of the global health effort, we need to because all of the efforts that we're doing, that we are moving forward here in this nation, could be potentially undermined in a heartbeat from these variants emerging," CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky told the National Academy of Medicine and the American Public Health Association on Wednesday.
Scientists aren't surprised by the emergence of the variants and have reiterated that the currently available vaccines should still work against them, though they might not be as effective as they are against the original "wild" strain.

Moderna said on Wednesday that it shipped doses of a booster shot that specifically targets the variant spreading in South Africa, known as the B.1.351 strain, to the National Institutes of Health.
"We know this virus knows no geographic borders and addressing this reality is more pressing than ever before, given the rapid proliferation of Covid-19 variants that stand to reverse the progress that has been made to control this pandemic," Walensky said.
The U.S. is reporting a weekly average of roughly 71,562 new Covid-19 cases per day, a 12% decline compared with a week ago and a significant drop from when average new cases in the U.S. peaked at close to 250,000 cases per day in early January, according to a CNBC analysis of data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
While not every country is reporting similar declines, global Covid-19 cases in the U.S. have dropped for six consecutive weeks as of Sunday, according to the World Health Organization's latest situation report published on Tuesday.
The decline is welcome news as countries race to administer their initial doses of Covid-19 vaccines. While some nations have been administering vaccines since December, however, some are just beginning to receive their initial shots.
The first shipment of vaccines delivered through the World Health Organization's COVAX program arrived in Ghana on Wednesday. Some experts have previously said equitable vaccine distribution may be too late since wealthier nations have made their own deals with vaccine manufacturers, claiming their initial supply of doses.
"The Covid-19 pandemic has been a stark reminder of how interconnected we are as a global community," Walensky said.

https://apple.news/AufmNXF6-T1a3RPe_spAAWQ

Starting the old propaganda machine to prepare everyone for the “new normal” and yearly covid vaccines