Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Can't wait to see the actual study. This could be a really big deal.

https://thecanadian.news/2021/01/23...ffectiveness-of-colchicine-to-treat-covid-19/

A large study launched last March by the Montreal Heart Institute allows a “major breakthrough” in the treatment of COVID-19. Its results show that the anti-inflammatory drug colchicine is effective in treating the disease and preventing its complications. It is the first oral medicine proven to be effective in treating patients before they are admitted to hospital.

“We have just provided the planet with hope, exclaims the D.r Jean-Claude Tardif, principal investigator of the COLCORONA study and director of the research center of the Montreal Heart Institute (ICM). We finally have a first treatment that can help patients with COVID before their hospitalization to prevent hospitalizations, prevent intubations and prevent death. ”

In 4,159 patients proven to be diagnosed with COVID-19 using a PCR test, colchicine resulted in a 25% decrease in hospitalizations, a 50% decrease in the use of ventilation and a decrease in deaths by 44%. “It’s a major breakthrough,” says Dr Late.

Colchicine works to prevent the “major inflammatory storm” that affects the lungs and can send patients to hospital.

Colchicine is an anti-inflammatory drug commonly used in cardiology. It was discovered in the 19th century and initially used against gout. Some of its advantages are its low cost and few side effects. The Dr Tardif has been studying it for several years for heart disease and has shown that it reduces the risk of recurrence in cardiac patients by more than a quarter.

The study was launched by the ICM, with the help of a team from across the province last March. Among the more than 4000 participants, 3000 were in Quebec. The others were in the United States, Brazil, Spain and South Africa. Participants had to be diagnosed with COVID-19, be over 40, and be at least at risk of complications, such as diabetes or asthma.

This is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study that provides the highest level of certainty in scientific research.

This means that one group of patients received colchicine and another group received a placebo. Neither the patients nor the researchers knew who received what at the time of the study, ensuring reliable results.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Can't wait to see the actual study. This could be a really big deal.

https://thecanadian.news/2021/01/23...ffectiveness-of-colchicine-to-treat-covid-19/

A large study launched last March by the Montreal Heart Institute allows a “major breakthrough” in the treatment of COVID-19. Its results show that the anti-inflammatory drug colchicine is effective in treating the disease and preventing its complications. It is the first oral medicine proven to be effective in treating patients before they are admitted to hospital.

“We have just provided the planet with hope, exclaims the D.r Jean-Claude Tardif, principal investigator of the COLCORONA study and director of the research center of the Montreal Heart Institute (ICM). We finally have a first treatment that can help patients with COVID before their hospitalization to prevent hospitalizations, prevent intubations and prevent death. ”

In 4,159 patients proven to be diagnosed with COVID-19 using a PCR test, colchicine resulted in a 25% decrease in hospitalizations, a 50% decrease in the use of ventilation and a decrease in deaths by 44%. “It’s a major breakthrough,” says Dr Late.

Colchicine works to prevent the “major inflammatory storm” that affects the lungs and can send patients to hospital.

Colchicine is an anti-inflammatory drug commonly used in cardiology. It was discovered in the 19th century and initially used against gout. Some of its advantages are its low cost and few side effects. The Dr Tardif has been studying it for several years for heart disease and has shown that it reduces the risk of recurrence in cardiac patients by more than a quarter.

The study was launched by the ICM, with the help of a team from across the province last March. Among the more than 4000 participants, 3000 were in Quebec. The others were in the United States, Brazil, Spain and South Africa. Participants had to be diagnosed with COVID-19, be over 40, and be at least at risk of complications, such as diabetes or asthma.

This is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study that provides the highest level of certainty in scientific research.

This means that one group of patients received colchicine and another group received a placebo. Neither the patients nor the researchers knew who received what at the time of the study, ensuring reliable results.
Very interesting. I know it's not in the report, but any guesses on how it will perform across risk categories (e.g., age or with cardiovascular disease)? Given the anti inflammatory mechanisms, made me wonder.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Very interesting. I know it's not in the report, but any guesses on how it will perform across risk categories (e.g., age or with cardiovascular disease)? Given the anti inflammatory mechanisms, made me wonder.
Yea, that is why I hate the press-release-first way things are done these days. Put out the study at least at the same time if not a day before the press release. That said, this looks pretty good with good numbers and randomized as long as there isn't a lot of between-group differences which there usually isn't.
With that striking of a drop in death rate, you would presume it works well in high-risk groups.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/heal...OWisKvScb4-iroUm08dayvtFHddAWwIJHe5_t3drAwi44

I think the claims of this article are a little overdone for what was actually studied and found, but it is a good reminder that we cannot put all our eggs in one basket with this pandemic. Yeah, I am looking at you @Rack :D

(CNN)A new study suggests someone might be able to get infected with one of the new variants of the coronavirus even if they've had Covid-19 before or have been vaccinated.

The variant was first spotted in South Africa in October and has now been found in more than a dozen countries.
"I think we should be alarmed," said Penny Moore, associate professor at the National Institute for Communicable Diseases in South Africa and the senior author of the study.
"Based on Penny's data, it's likely that the vaccine is going to be somewhat less effective, but how much less effective we don't know," said David Montefiori, a virologist at Duke University Medical Center.

Mar 11, 2006
I am very pro-vaccine and will take the vaccine as soon as I am eligible (my wife and daughter have already received) ....but...

I think it is definitely worthy to discuss Hank Aaron. He famously took the vaccine Jan 6th to encourage others, specifically black Americans, to make he vaccine. He died two week later.
We also know a Florida doctor died ~2 weeks after receiving the vaccine. CDC.gov lists potential up to 148 deaths post-vaccine (have no clue how many or if any of deaths are truly due to vaccine). The concerning thing is the death rate post vaccine appears to be as much as 120x more than the flu vaccine.

I think statistically, since they are vaccinating the older and most vulnerable first, that 148 deaths out of xxM administered is probably not alarming. Because probably 148 out of this xxM population would have died anyway ....but it is still a potentially concerning development.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I am very pro-vaccine and will take the vaccine as soon as I am eligible (my wife and daughter have already received) ....but...

I think it is definitely worthy to discuss Hank Aaron. He famously took the vaccine Jan 6th to encourage others, specifically black Americans, to make he vaccine. He died two week later.
We also know a Florida doctor died ~2 weeks after receiving the vaccine. CDC.gov lists potential up to 148 deaths post-vaccine (have no clue how many or if any of deaths are truly due to vaccine). The concerning thing is the death rate post vaccine appears to be as much as 120x more than the flu vaccine.

I think statistically, since they are vaccinating the older and most vulnerable first, that 148 deaths out of xxM administered is probably not alarming. Because probably 148 out of this xxM population would have died anyway ....but it is still a potentially concerning development.
You are right that we can't tell anything really from that data because it's being focused on old and at risk people right now. It's also why we rely in clinical trial data. So far, deaths are reduced among those who get the vaccine vs those who don't and there's no evidence of an increase of non-covid deaths in the vaccine groups.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Yea, that is why I hate the press-release-first way things are done these days. Put out the study at least at the same time if not a day before the press release. That said, this looks pretty good with good numbers and randomized as long as there isn't a lot of between-group differences which there usually isn't.
With that striking of a drop in death rate, you would presume it works well in high-risk groups.
I'm a bit ambivalent about the news releases. The clinical trials I work on would never get press releases before a full manuscript was prepped, but I've never worked on anything anywhere near this scale of importance. If I were confident in the data, I'd be fine working with the science comms people to put out a release.

With the data and mechanism of action, it seemed like it would best help those high risk groups that are more likely to die from excessive immune/inflammatory responses. I'll be very interested to see those data. Hopefully, this is something that can be really effective with high risk groups and can be implemented with those that don't have easy access monoclonal antibodies.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/heal...OWisKvScb4-iroUm08dayvtFHddAWwIJHe5_t3drAwi44

I think the claims of this article are a little overdone for what was actually studied and found, but it is a good reminder that we cannot put all our eggs in one basket with this pandemic. Yeah, I am looking at you @Rack :D

(CNN)A new study suggests someone might be able to get infected with one of the new variants of the coronavirus even if they've had Covid-19 before or have been vaccinated.

The variant was first spotted in South Africa in October and has now been found in more than a dozen countries.
"I think we should be alarmed," said Penny Moore, associate professor at the National Institute for Communicable Diseases in South Africa and the senior author of the study.
"Based on Penny's data, it's likely that the vaccine is going to be somewhat less effective, but how much less effective we don't know," said David Montefiori, a virologist at Duke University Medical Center.
Yep, I'm guilty of that, but it should be a huge, and I mean, UUge...help in our fight against the virus and our way back to some normalcy. I think you agree with that. My "hope," which is what you are refereeing too, is that vaccines when coupled with the antibodies we form from infection, will, indeed, enable us to reduce death from the virus and return to at least mostly "normalcy" as a society. I.e. travel and gatherings "should" return to pre pandemic levels soon (like in the next several months or a year on the long term). Agreed?

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Todays vaccine count shows that we have given over 20,500,000 vaccines in the USA to date.
41,400,000 doses have been distributed so we have a supply to at least keep moving...need more
304,000 doses have been administered in Oklahoma
496,000 doses in supply so far in Oklahoma
2,000,000 plus doses have been given in California with Texas and Florida right behind.

Good number starting to add up.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
21,848,000 USA doses administered as of 1/24 7:34pm
Prediction...
By the end of the week the USA will have given more vaccine doses than positive confirmed cases total since the pandemic began.