Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Trump (and Stitt for that matter) SHOULD get it as well with the other former POTUS. No one knows exactly how long immunity last after you get it. There are over 14.2 million people in the US who have had COVID (which is increasing at a rate of 200K+ per day right now) will need to get it as well.

There are documented cases of people catching it twice, so we KNOW you can get it more than once
At least they should make a statement that they would get it if they hadn't already contracted it. I'm not sure I would get it if I just had Covid in October like the POTUS, that would be taking a vaccine away from someone who has no immunity whatsoever...immunity has to last longer than that or what's the use of the vaccine that build immunities? You can read and find whatever the heck you want out in the ether world, but the vast majority won't get the virus twice in a matter of months...the body typically "learns" how to combat illness once you have had it and that should last for some amount of time much greater than a month or so. Right doctors?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Okay “Doctors”, I’ll turn it around. Please direct me to the medical evidence that discloses waiting for an undetermined period of time to receive this new vaccine is an imminent health risk and not a recommended decision for a relatively healthy 57 year old male with no significant adverse health condition. If you have such evidence, I’ll apologize and move on. If you don’t, simply tell me that.
Define imminent. Also, a health risk for what? Death? Hospitalization? Catching it and spreading it?

If you want to talk "recommended", that's what the trials are for. Their efficacy measures are exactly designed to tell you about relative risk. No vaccine in a period of about one month resulted a roughly 1% chance of catching it, but that changes based on prevalence of community spread which got higher after they did the latest round of data analyses. The chances of catching it with a vaccine were less than .1%. Risk of any side effects above general fatigue and soreness was 0 out of 35k when looking at trial data. Seems pretty clear that even waiting a few months with wide community spread is riskier than not getting it. Both vaccines now have detailed reports on safety and efficacy that are publicly available.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Not taking an available and accessible to you vaccine during a global pandemic that the vaccine is designed to stop is by its very nature an increase to your imminent health risk.

At that point 2 new groups emerge. Vaccinated and Non Vaccinated. And the increased health risks would by the definition of those two groups automatically fall on the Non Vaccinated

However, if that is a decision you chose to take, then all the best to you
Honestly I understand what you are saying here, but we already have two distinct groups...those who have immunities and those who don't. Most with immunities in their blood got it from having Covid already. That's how I understand it anyway. So we will have three groups, those with immunity already, those with the vaccine created immunity, and those without either. IMHO, those who have already had it and have antibodies present should go to the back of the list for the vaccine and the vaccine should be given to those who have no antibodies in their blood. Isn't that the point of a vaccine? To build something you already have if you have had covid in the past 100 days or so makes no logical sense. That would be like having the flu and getting a flu shot right after it...that makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Right now community spread is at 1 Million cases every 5 days.
Which is .3% of the population. Meaning, it's 1% within about 15 days and that's with less testing than you get in one of these trials. Not directed at you, but I get that it feels scary to do something new. It's just that the data on this were so overwhelmingly positive, it really should be a clear decision. I'd understand being a bit more hesitant about the Oxford one, especially because they screwed up manufacturing to such an extent that they created an entirely new treatment arm. Plus, the screw up arm was the one that was supposedly more effective (they got permission to do this before giving shots and knew those shots weren't what was intended originally). Pfizer and Moderna data were completely different though. It really should be an easy decision.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
The statistician I’ve been following since last December has predicted almost all of this and the human/political reaction to within 85% accuracy. He makes new data releases every two weeks for the last 11 months. I knew Oklahoma would lock down in January and no one listened to me in my family. He has about a 6-10 week curve in predictions on every continent, reasoning, past history and local cultures.

I’ve was pleased to have a such a heads up warning mainly on the panic rush for produce and the like. To top off preparations was very beneficial to withstanding 2020. His latest predictions just aren’t good. At all. The announcement that the new administration won’t enforce masks or enforce a country wide lockdown and with fake news or too much news also added by in, the predictions are that 2021 will be WORSE! Much worse. He doesn’t want to look too far forward but says the old normal of global movement is at least 3-5 years out. Latest estimate for the US was possibly 1%~3% infected. Estimates 25-45% will take vaccine. Leaving us with rising numbers well into spring. Just thought I’d point out that the one source that I’ve trusted this entire pandemic says we haven’t seen nothing yet.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
The statistician I’ve been following since last December has predicted almost all of this and the human/political reaction to within 85% accuracy. He makes new data releases every two weeks for the last 11 months. I knew Oklahoma would lock down in January and no one listened to me in my family. He has about a 6-10 week curve in predictions on every continent, reasoning, past history and local cultures.

I’ve was pleased to have a such a heads up warning mainly on the panic rush for produce and the like. To top off preparations was very beneficial to withstanding 2020. His latest predictions just aren’t good. At all. The announcement that the new administration won’t enforce masks or enforce a country wide lockdown and with fake news or too much news also added by in, the predictions are that 2021 will be WORSE! Much worse. He doesn’t want to look too far forward but says the old normal of global movement is at least 3-5 years out. Latest estimate for the US was possibly 1%~3% infected. Estimates 25-45% will take vaccine. Leaving us with rising numbers well into spring. Just thought I’d point out that the one source that I’ve trusted this entire pandemic says we haven’t seen nothing yet.
Care to share your resource with the rest of us?

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I'm pretty sure they are giving the vaccine in the UK starting Tuesday, December 8th! Just watch them for a few weeks or a month and then decide what to do. They have 800,000 doses ready to go...enough for the two shots to 400K people. Our hospital in Tulsa receives shipments either next Friday OR Monday the 14th...got our deep freezer today. I'm assuming we will start administering the first vaccine shots on Monday or Tuesday the 14th or 15th. Crossing my fingers that we can get the crazy (i.e. covid) out of our society worldwide ASAP!
Darn, at first I thought you met get crazy people out of society like Alex Jones. During a talk at the Georgia Guidestones Monument he said that the new mRNA covid vaccines will modify your DNA and turn you into a GMO creature. While I don't wish him death, I wish Jones would come down with covid bad enough to be in the hospital for a while to shut him up.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Not taking an available and accessible to you vaccine during a global pandemic that the vaccine is designed to stop is by its very nature an increase to your imminent health risk.

At that point 2 new groups emerge. Vaccinated and Non Vaccinated. And the increased health risks would by the definition of those two groups automatically fall on the Non Vaccinated

However, if that is a decision you chose to take, then all the best to you
Again, everyone in this discussion appears to be reading more into my approach than is there. I neither stated nor implied I wouldn’t ever receive the vaccination, didn’t even come close to it. The only thing I said was that I was waiting, that I wouldn’t be an “early adopter”. Translation: If it becomes widely available to the general public on March 1, 2021, I might hold back until late summer to see how those before me fared with both doses.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Darn, at first I thought you met get crazy people out of society like Alex Jones. During a talk at the Georgia Guidestones Monument he said that the new mRNA covid vaccines will modify your DNA and turn you into a GMO creature. While I don't wish him death, I wish Jones would come down with covid bad enough to be in the hospital for a while to shut him up.
I'm curious what a GMO creature is? I have a cousin I just spoke with today who believes something similar. She's very sweet but interesting in that she has some very odd beliefs and thinks that "AI's" are in the vaccine. A lot of people who have been abused, sadly, have interesting theories and it's sad actually that folks fall for things like that. Fear is a strange motivator and gives some people purpose. I think some will be unwilling to let go of the virus on both ends of the political spectrum. I'm personally very happy to see it be gone soon. God help us if we let fear win this time.

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Again, everyone in this discussion appears to be reading more into my approach than is there. I neither stated nor implied I wouldn’t ever receive the vaccination, didn’t even come close to it. The only thing I said was that I was waiting, that I wouldn’t be an “early adopter”. Translation: If it becomes widely available to the general public on March 1, 2021, I might hold back until late summer to see how those before me fared with both doses.
I'll assume this is genuine. Unless you are a healthcare worker, live in a nursing home, or are 65+ (you already said you aren't), you cannot be an early adopter. Even if it's open to the general public on March 1, millions of people will have already gone before you.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I'll assume this is genuine. Unless you are a healthcare worker, live in a nursing home, or are 65+ (you already said you aren't), you cannot be an early adopter. Even if it's open to the general public on March 1, millions of people will have already gone before you.
My use of the term “early adopter” is relative, relative to my own peer group.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Why would you? He clearly reads into what is written and decides what he thinks instead of what you say. Absolutely not worth the effort.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

I sure hope your source is very wrong. It's been such great news that we have several vaccines...and, in the past, this has been the cure. The problem is people aren't ready to let go of fear...go get the vaccine and let's end this thing. I'm hopeful that we have FAR more than 25% participation and the latest polls say we are more like 60% willing to take it now...and steadily rising by the day. IF we get the older and immune compromised the vaccine then we really really need to open things up again. IF those who die from this are vaccinated and everyone else get's it...that's how we get herd immunity. Not sure why that would not allow global movement for 3-4 years unless there is an anterior reason for that delay besides covid...which we will have licked.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
My wife and I have agreed that we won't delay getting the vaccine on purpose, but will definitely be "last in line" voluntarily. We're fortunate enough to be young, healthy, working from home 100%, and have a child not in school yet, so we can isolate easily with few ill effects. We will eventually get it, but also don't mind being some of the later groups of people that will get the vaccine.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
There are great places for that line. This isn’t it.
i didn’t misread your insults at all. I asked you to back up a reason . You couldn’t, and became a pissy child. That is the cliff notes.
And to show how pissy and childish you are, I tell you that @docjoctoo and I are both docs and you put it in quotes.
Pathetic and insecure.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
My wife and I have agreed that we won't delay getting the vaccine on purpose, but will definitely be "last in line" voluntarily. We're fortunate enough to be young, healthy, working from home 100%, and have a child not in school yet, so we can isolate easily with few ill effects. We will eventually get it, but also don't mind being some of the later groups of people that will get the vaccine.
See, that is a very good point. I’m sort of wondering the same. I’m an ER doc but have had it so Have at least some immunity. Should I wait? Problem is I don’t know how long it lasts and I am very, very exposed.