Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Your lame liberal attempt at shaming those who choose not to be an early adopter of a new vaccine for a new virus, without providing you with specific examples for justification won’t work here.
I'll phrase it differently, what would be a sufficient number? They have 15k people in the real vaccine condition for Moderna and about 20k for Pfizer, the two mRNA platforms and leading candidates. NIH is also running the Moderna trial, not the company itself. We will have more than 6 months of data on those 35k people by the time its publicly available. Also, there will be more than a million people who receive this before you are even able to sign up (unless you are over 65 or a healthcare worker). Sincere question, if that's not sufficient, then what is?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Ah, I ask a very basic question and you have no answer so jump straight to name-calling.
And, this is health, not partisan politics. Calling discussion of the safety risks of vaccination "liberal" or "conservative" just shows the depths of delusion that many of the people in this country have reached.

And, you will have to show me how asking a question about the opinion you gave about needing more population to determine safety is "shaming." Wow, is that the level of snowflake that you have achieved? That is mighty safe-space worthy. I'm really sorry I asked you a question about how you reached your conclusion that you stated so confidently as if there was actually a logical rationale behind it. In the event that I am stupid enough to attempt to discuss something with you in the future, I'll be sure to be more delicate so that you can handle it without the obvious angst my very simple question has caused you.
Your lame liberal attempt at shaming those who choose not to be an early adopter of a new vaccine for a new virus, without providing you with specific examples for justification won’t work here.
I provided my reasoning for not being an early adopter, and it was very clear. I can’t help it if you don’t understand. So why else would you push it further and request examples unless it’s just to stir the stink pot? Just acknowledge you don’t agree and leave it at that, geez Louise.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I'll phrase it differently, what would be a sufficient number? They have 15k people in the real vaccine condition for Moderna and about 20k for Pfizer, the two mRNA platforms and leading candidates. NIH is also running the Moderna trial, not the company itself. We will have more than 6 months of data on those 35k people by the time its publicly available. Also, there will be more than a million people who receive this before you are even able to sign up (unless you are over 65 or a healthcare worker). Sincere question, if that's not sufficient, then what is?
I don’t have a specific number, it’ll just be when I feel more comfortable with it. I’m blessed my health allows it and certainly don’t judge anyone who chooses to get it. Just like when I won’t purchase the new model of a car or many other things new to the market.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I don’t have a specific number, it’ll just be when I feel more comfortable with it. I’m blessed my health allows it and certainly don’t judge anyone who chooses to get it. Just like when I won’t purchase the new model of a car or many other things new to the market.
Unfortunately there are 10's of if not 100's of Thousands of people out there who will refuse to get it, because they have listened to stupid people on the internet and believe that COVID is all a hoax to get them to take a vaccine provided by the Govt that will have a microchip in it and it is all a ploy to microchip the entire World Population.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I provided my reasoning for not being an early adopter, and it was very clear. I can’t help it if you don’t understand. So why else would you push it further and request examples unless it’s just to stir the stink pot? Just acknowledge you don’t agree and leave it at that, geez Louise.
Because I have had this discussion with vaccine researchers and the vaccine issues that have been found throughout our history have been found in phase three trials. There is no major vaccine issue that required release to the masses to figure out. I wanted to know why you thought it was important this time when it hasn't been in the past?

Instead, I have found the typical know-it-all who is completely clueless about why he is even saying what he is saying. So, once that is questioned, you go directly to insults instead of actually considering learning something.

"I can't help if you don't understand." LOL. The only thing I can't understand is how you can discuss vaccination with two doctors and think your completely unsupported opinion is strong enough to stand on its own. But, the more you talk the more I can understand how you can think that.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
But what about those who've had the virus and have antibodies? If immunity does last a year or two minimum then why be forced to vaccinate?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
We do not know that immunity lasts one year. It appears the immune response to the vaccine is better than the immune response to having had the virus.
One study of 6000 people with a bunch tested multiple times over 7 months or so, showed very high viral memory response similar to many diseases that create multi year immunity.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
One study of 6000 people with a bunch tested multiple times over 7 months or so, showed very high viral memory response similar to many diseases that create multi year immunity.

And, other people have gotten it more than once in a shorter time frame than that.

As I said, we do not know.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/1334909938817249282
Now she wants to work on it, when Trump literally days he would sign a relief bill today was free of any stand of items so as to not delay the relief. But she refused. She was more worried about making Trump look bad and getting some pork attached, than helping citizens. Nope we are supposed to believe she wants to help because it's so important it be done quickly.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
You didn't have to state it. You are doing it right now.
And to that point EXACTLY I direct your attention to your post 16,217 where you state: “As I said, we do not know.” On a large scale you DON’T know what the results of the reaction will be to the new vaccine, so please don’t try to tell us non-Physicians how we should and should not approach this situation. I gave you my reason why I’m delaying, not that it’s any of your business, so mind your own.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
And to that point EXACTLY I direct your attention to your post 16,217 where you state: “As I said, we do not know.” On a large scale you DON’T know what the results of the reaction will be to the new vaccine, so please don’t try to tell us non-Physicians how we should and should not approach this situation. I gave you my reason why I’m delaying, not that it’s any of your business, so mind your own.
Seriously, WTF are you so dang defensive? I have not in any way told you what to do. Show me where I said anything like that at all. All I did was question your rationale because it would take something that, to my knowledge, has not happened in history. You are right, that doesn't mean it can't. Just like if someone said that they won't walk outside because a meteor might hit them I cannot say that it won't and I would not tell them they have to go outside. But, it would not be unreasonable to say. "Maybe you could explain what makes you think a meteor is going to hit you?"

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
So combining this with the earlier post, why not base it on actual evidence rather than a feeling? If you were to set a super high bar of seeing no reactions, not even some fatigue (a common immunological response) among the vast majority of participants, I could understand that. I'm not sure I follow the rationale for basing it in a feeling over evidence.

I get that your conversation here has gotten heated, but you do see the problem with putting your opinion out on a message board and then saying "my opinion is none of your business", right? Even more so to a medical professional who is elbow deep in severe COVID patients everyday, where people's decision on a vaccine is quite directly affects him. If you don't want pushback or a discussion on it, why post it?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
[QUOTE="steross, post: 4163032, member: 147 All I did was question your rationale because it would take something that, to my knowledge, has not happened in history.[/QUOTE]
One last time, follow the bouncing ball because seriously, it shouldn’t be that difficult to grasp, especially from a “Doctor” such as yourself (allegedly). You didn’t question my rationale, you tried to make some point through a sarcastic request for “a historical example of a vaccine-related concern”. Two previous posts clearly show why I’m hesitant to be one of the first in the population to receive the injection. It’s simple, that’s it.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Okay “Doctors”, I’ll turn it around. Please direct me to the medical evidence that discloses waiting for an undetermined period of time to receive this new vaccine is an imminent health risk and not a recommended decision for a relatively healthy 57 year old male with no significant adverse health condition. If you have such evidence, I’ll apologize and move on. If you don’t, simply tell me that.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Okay “Doctors”, I’ll turn it around. Please direct me to the medical evidence that discloses waiting for an undetermined period of time to receive this new vaccine is an imminent health risk and not a recommended decision for a relatively healthy 57 year old male with no significant adverse health condition. If you have such evidence, I’ll apologize and move on. If you don’t, simply tell me that.
Not taking an available and accessible to you vaccine during a global pandemic that the vaccine is designed to stop is by its very nature an increase to your imminent health risk.

At that point 2 new groups emerge. Vaccinated and Non Vaccinated. And the increased health risks would by the definition of those two groups automatically fall on the Non Vaccinated

However, if that is a decision you chose to take, then all the best to you

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I'm pretty sure Trump would get it too if he had not already had the disease. Oh, and if I was "W" I'd double up no hand sanitizer after putting that hand where it is in this photo.
Trump (and Stitt for that matter) SHOULD get it as well with the other former POTUS. No one knows exactly how long immunity last after you get it. There are over 14.2 million people in the US who have had COVID (which is increasing at a rate of 200K+ per day right now) will need to get it as well.

There are documented cases of people catching it twice, so we KNOW you can get it more than once

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm pretty sure they are giving the vaccine in the UK starting Tuesday, December 8th! Just watch them for a few weeks or a month and then decide what to do. They have 800,000 doses ready to go...enough for the two shots to 400K people. Our hospital in Tulsa receives shipments either next Friday OR Monday the 14th...got our deep freezer today. I'm assuming we will start administering the first vaccine shots on Monday or Tuesday the 14th or 15th. Crossing my fingers that we can get the crazy (i.e. covid) out of our society worldwide ASAP!

My opinion is that once we get the assisted living centers, healthcare professionals and high risk individuals done it's pretty much OVER in terms of high risk people and we can BURN our stinking mask and start freaking living again. Those who are afraid should wait and see with the vaccine maybe until mid-January or so...those who are afraid with underlying conditions should get the vaccine as soon as they are no longer afraid. The vaccine isn't planting a chip in your body it's giving you something to fight the disease if you should encounter it. The left has been telling us FOREVER that once we have a vaccine we will be ready to re-open...I can't believe people on the "right" wouldn't get the vaccine and hold their nose in it too force them to re-open. That's what I'm going to do...as it's logical and sane.

I'm 55 and take meds for high blood pressure, but if I was 57 and had no adverse health conditions I'd be even less afraid to take it as we will have the UK's experience as a lab rat. Btw, the pastor at the Park Church got it and nearly died and he's younger than both of us. You want the nation open, I suggest you open up your information search to more avenues besides only partisan ones. When there was NOT a worldwide shutdown pandemic I could get on board with the anti vaccine people on the freedom argument, but this is an emergency and we need to participate and END this once and for all. IF you want to do your part as a conservative you will get the vaccine and burn your mask. It's over for you once you do that. We all should want it OVER!

Last edited: