Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Friend of mine is a teacher at a local school district. She sent a pic of her classroom with the tape line on the floor that marks how far apart she is supposed to place the desk.. individual desks

She is expected to have 35 students every hour for 5 hrs during the day. She said it is not possible to fit 35 desks in this space with 6ft distance

View attachment 84971
Covid has put nearly all of the education system in a no-win position. Students, admin, teachers, parents......everyone. There's no "right" approach unless you could wave a magic wand that allows everyone equal access to a safe, stable home with reliable internet, parents that care enough to make their kids complete their assignments, etc....

About the only people setup to weather this are people who were already doing EPIC or other homeschooling and/or people who have the resources to do that now. But my guess is that well over half the kids in most schools don't have that level of support outside of an in-school setup for a multitude of reasons.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Covid has put nearly all of the education system in a no-win position. Students, admin, teachers, parents......everyone. There's no "right" approach unless you could wave a magic wand that allows everyone equal access to a safe, stable home with reliable internet, parents that care enough to make their kids complete their assignments, etc....

About the only people setup to weather this are people who were already doing EPIC or other homeschooling and/or people who have the resources to do that now. But my guess is that well over half the kids in most schools don't have that level of support outside of an in-school setup for a multitude of reasons.
As I was discussing with another poster, the studies that will come from this are going to be enlightening. With all the various approaches out there, it will be easy to see the comparative effectiveness of each. Especially given how much work has already gone into studying this. The learning curve should be shortening for researchers which will help a lot. I just heard on NPR that there is an expectation that a big amount of federal dollars for research could be coming soon which is also a plus.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
As I was discussing with another poster, the studies that will come from this are going to be enlightening. With all the various approaches out there, it will be easy to see the comparative effectiveness of each. Especially given how much work has already gone into studying this. The learning curve should be shortening for researchers which will help a lot. I just heard on NPR that there is an expectation that a big amount of federal dollars for research could be coming soon which is also a plus.
This is a horrible event, but I was just talking with my wife recently about the innovation that has/will come out of this. This is going to be a watershed moment for reinventing business, education, and other aspects of our economy and society. I think there are many dimensions of our lives that will never be the same.

It’s like the old Hemingway line from The Sun Also Rises.
“How did you go bankrupt?"
“Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.”

Change is often the same way.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
This is a horrible event, but I was just talking with my wife recently about the innovation that has/will come out of this. This is going to be a watershed moment for reinventing business, education, and other aspects of our economy and society. I think there are many dimensions of our lives that will never be the same.

It’s like the old Hemingway line from The Sun Also Rises.
“How did you go bankrupt?"
“Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.”

Change is often the same way.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1294000285094948869

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
Started with a family of 4, 3 of whom travelled or went to work while symptomatic, and they have identified 200 contacts to this point.
It is amazing how fantastically quickly this damn thing spreads

For those wondering what the effects of the R0 looks like. This is IT. 3 people decided to travel or work and now 200 people are affected if not MORE

It is also a lesson in how important contact tracing is. What if those 200 contacts had never been made aware they were one of the 200
Affected, but not infected. Until you know that, you can't calculate the R0 though right?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
For those wondering what is holding up the latest round of COVID talks. Dems want 25 Billion for the USPS to handle additional mail in ballots for COVID in the relief package. Trump will not give that funding because he says expanding mail in ballots will cause fraud.

It has NOTHING to do with the American people and helping them through this time. It is Dems and Republicans arguing over voting measures.

Dems and Republicans aren't worried about providing assistance to you or your family. They are worried about votes and nothing else

Except the Dems have halted all talks as they take a tax payer provided "break".

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
See...I read an article yesterday that said lock downs can help slow things down but there is really nothing that is going to contain this. It's just got to run its course...so the U.S. could potentially be ahead of the curve.
the unknown here is how long does immunity last after you get it...and can you catch it again...and if so..how long before you can catch it again.

We are running the first course of this race. There may be 2, 4, 12 more courses to run....we do not know. There could be 0. It may be a one and done thing (however most experts think it will be a seasonal thing at some point). It is possible the US is ahead of the curve for the 1st course of this, but maybe sprinting toward something worse. We just don't know
I'm praying that it mutates out of the human transmission and jumps back to animals only.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/business/status/1293955742316277760
India probably had even more deaths that they aren't reporting. I don't trust the numbers from them or China. Also a few african nations are always a little suspect due to their dictators.