Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Remember Occupy Wall Street? I was in Pittsburgh when that insanity was going on. No COVID-shutdowns needed, same bunch of idiots.
View attachment 83668

Remember the riots in Baltimore after Freddie Gray was killed? That was all pre-COVID-shutdowns.
View attachment 83669

Remember the Ferguson protests? "Hands up don't shoot!" Did not need any shutdowns for them to happen.
View attachment 83670

Remember the LA riots after the Rodney King verdict? Where there any shutdowns then?
View attachment 83671

You are speculating, and your speculations are pretty thin. You are connecting dots that aren't connected. It's ludicrous.
Remember we didn't have depression era unemployment when any of that happened. It's going to get worse not better if the economy doesn't start and people don't get back to work.

Mar 11, 2006
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1283861043056345088
I agree he is overstepping. It is certainly fair for Gov Kemp to not impose a statewide mask requirement, but I don’t think he should take-away local control of towns making ordinances. Requiring a mask does not harm statewide commerce.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I agree he is overstepping. It is certainly fair for Gov Kemp to not impose a statewide mask requirement, but I don’t think he should take-away local control of towns making ordinances. Requiring a mask does not harm statewide commerce.
he has already said he doesn't think any city has the authority or power to implement mask ordinances and now he made it official was an EO.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Because “cases” are defined as people who test positive for this virus it is
critical that tests are sensitive (positive in those infected with the virus) and specific ( negative in those without the virus).
However from the beginning a massive jumble of untested tests have been used to define “cases”.
Below is a short summary from a clinical laboratory testing site for pathologists I visit regularly.

"As of July, the WHO FIND database lists nearly 750 methods for COVID19 testing. The FDA has given EUA to 27 antibody methods, but listed 68 companies on their "do not distribute" list. On the openFDA data site, 7 methods achieved the requisite performance, but 23 methods did not. It's becoming clear that the VAST MAJORITY of methods are INAPPROPRIATE FOR PATIENT CARE.”

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...-outbreaks/ar-BB16PvQW?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

"But the bottom line is, we know what to do to stop the current outbreak," he added. "Now we have very, very good models that in the hot areas, these red zones that have high cases, that have high percentages increasing, it's very, very important to really close indoor bars."

He said that between 50% and 70% of new cases are traced to a single bar in some areas and "secondary spread from that." He added that the same concerns apply to indoor restaurants, as well, and they should be operating at 25% capacity.

"Being indoors, in close quarters, over long periods of time, is just a recipe for spread," he said, adding that outdoor seating for restaurants and bars is "probably really safe."
In the "hot zones," almost 90% of people should be wearing masks "when they're interacting with other people" to bring the spread under control, he said.

"If we have that degree of compliance with these simple measures, our models say that's really as good as shutting it down," he added. "These simple facts can really shut down the outbreak without completely shutting down your local area."

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Nebraska did the same thing and it's becoming an issue. Our outbreaks aren't skyrocketing, but they're beginning to tick up in our population centers and our mayors/city councils can't enact an ordinance requiring facemasks as a means of preventing a large spike. A spike that would, given its timing, almost certainly shut down our schools. The governor directly tied state COVID funding to the issue. I don't think he'll rescind the decision either.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
he has already said he doesn't think any city has the authority or power to implement mask ordinances and now he made it official was an EO.
I think some of the resistance is rooted in avoiding the inevitable lawsuits, which you're going to see as a 2nd shutdown in areas becomes reality. This was inevitable & was pointed out during the first lockdown, where people were largely compliant.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...g-services/ar-BB16Poyn?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

Three northern California churches have gone to federal court to challenge the state's ban on singing and chanting in houses of worship, arguing that it unfairly singles out religious services while ignoring protests against police brutality.

The suit said Newsom refused to apply the restrictions on gatherings to protesters against police brutality. Instead, the governor "explained 'we have a Constitution, we have a right to free speech,' and further stated that 'we are all dealing with a moment in our nation's history that is profound and pronounced ... Do what you think is best,'" according to the complaint seeking an injunction against the ban.

Mar 11, 2006
This crisis just highlights that both political parties have people making bad decisions.

* Republican Gov preventing local control and cities not able to apply ordinances that they think are good for their citizens
* Republicans that think COVID is a myth
* Democrat Mayors that specifically exempt protesting for contact tracing
* Democrat Gov who place more restrictions on worshipping and ignore and encourage protesting

Let me preface that I don’t at all think that the US death rate from COVID is due Democrat leadership. But if the data I am showing below (updated thru yesterday) was reversed — it would be all over the MSM.

1) Just counting the 24 US states led by a Dem Governor, the death rate per capita is worse than France and just below Italy.
2) Just counting the 26 US states led by a Rep Governor, the death rate per capita is roughly even to Canada.
3) The death rate per capita is the 24 states led by a Dem Gov, is more than twice that of a Republican Gov.
4) Of note: In terms of ranking of the 50 states, Oklahoma’s death rate per capita improved in ranking comparison over the last 60-days more than all but two states. Oklahoma was 25th and now ranks 39th. (It could be a region thing as Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas tank 38, 39, aNd 40)

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
To further add to the mix, hell, look at California & Florida and how similar their numbers are despite having almost opposite approaches to handling it.

This crisis just highlights that both political parties have people making bad decisions.

* Republican Gov preventing local control and cities not able to apply ordinances that they think are good for their citizens
* Republicans that think COVID is a myth
* Democrat Mayors that specifically exempt protesting for contact tracing
* Democrat Gov who place more restrictions on worshipping and ignore and encourage protesting

Let me preface that I don’t at all think that the US death rate from COVID is due Democrat leadership. But if the data I am showing below (updated thru yesterday) was reversed — it would be all over the MSM.

1) Just counting the 24 US states led by a Dem Governor, the death rate per capita is worse than France and just below Italy.
2) Just counting the 26 US states led by a Rep Governor, the death rate per capita is roughly even to Canada.
3) The death rate per capita is the 24 states led by a Dem Gov, is more than twice that of a Republican Gov.
4) Of note: In terms of ranking of the 50 states, Oklahoma’s death rate per capita improved in ranking comparison over the last 60-days more than all but two states. Oklahoma was 25th and now ranks 39th. (It could be a region thing as Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas tank 38, 39, aNd 40)