Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 9, 2013
To all of our resident experts, at this point in time, how will we ever stop COVID? It seems to me that no matter what we do, no matter how many people get vaccines, no matter the medications developed, we will still have mutation after mutation. There are obviously parts of the world which do not have access to many of the luxuries we have here and it may continue to mutate and spread because of it. We've learned that the vaccines are only so effective and may have little to no effectiveness on the following mutation.

Most of the world has essentially dropped their guard and learning to live with the ever-presence of COVID floating around, but how will it end?
I have had similar thoughts and questions. I was at 2 dr’s yesterday. A primary care and a neurologist (who also happens to do rotations at an ER). Both had similar answers.

They both thought that we will continue to see surges and reductions like we have for the past 2 yrs. They both are hopeful that we are seeing w Ba5 a more transmissible virus. One that causes more people to actually get sick (less asymptomatic cases), but one that is less severe. The PC Dr said he is currently seeing more patients for CoVid but as of yesterday he didn’t know of a patient on a ventilator at SMC in the last couple of months (great news).

The neurologist is very positive about the new mRNA vaxes coming this fall that specifically target variants and believes we will see even more exciting news in the coming year on the vaccination front. Not just on CoVid but on other fronts.

They are both huge believers in vaccines, boosters and masking indoors. Despite seeing hundreds if not 1000’s of patients w CoVid, neither of them have had CoVid. In fact it was the neurologist who convinced us to return to indoor sporting events if we were masked.

Both believe that unless the virus takes a negative turn that we will still see certain at risk groups (elderly, health compromised and UNVAXED/BOOSTED) continue to get really sick and potentially die but that we should be able to continue to function as we do today. Both of them had this as a big caveat in that the virus can certainly mutate to something much worse but they both stressed “stay healthy, keep your shots up to date, watch positivity rates/new cases in your area and mask up indoors if #s dictate).

As to your point about vaccine effectiveness I specifically asked the neurologist that exact question. He said he is frustrated at the “cockroaches” who are using current effectiveness as a reason to not get vaccinated. Ba5 is genetically so far away from the strain that the vaccines were designed for that he thinks it’s a miracle that they are as effective at preventing hospitalization and death. His words were very choice bc he thinks that when science catches up in the next 3 months w variant specific vaccines and we continue to learn and adapt quicker to the mutations that those people talking down vaccines today bc “see I told you they don’t work” will essentially have blood on their hands. Natural selection at its finest.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
More of the sky is falling rhetoric from our “resident experts”. Proven wrong that masks were not materially effective and shutdowns were not necessary, yet here they now return to try and warn us that we’ll have blood on our hands without more vaccines and, wait for it, more mask mandates and shutdowns. :runaway:

Dec 9, 2013
More of the sky is falling rhetoric from our “resident experts”. Proven wrong that masks were not materially effective and shutdowns were not necessary, yet here they now return to try and warn us that we’ll have blood on our hands without more vaccines and, wait for it, more mask mandates and shutdowns. :runaway:
I’ll listen to a neurologist who has seen hundreds of patients w CoVid yet somehow wearing a mask never got it himself over a random dumbass message board poster.

We see him due to a medical condition affecting my wife. We have traveled all over the SW and after 10 yrs of searching for the correct diagnosis and after several misdiagnosis that advanced her condition we finally found him in OKC and he is hands down the best and most thoughtful dr we have encountered. When he tells us that due to my wife’s condition that we should watch #’s and mask up indoors or even avoid gatherings when #s dictate then we listen.

Nowhere did I say that either dr said the sky was falling or we should return to mask mandates. They are hopeful that life can continue as we are now. In fact if you would pull your pious head out of your ass you might read that I said the neurologist is the one who said to return to some normalcy. But that doesn’t fit the narrative that you’ve been fed and are too lazy to research for yourself. You are the living example of Proverbs 14:15.

Masking w the correct mask and when worn correctly absolutely protects. But again. I’ll listen to 2 drs that live in this everyday over you.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
The only thing proven in this post is that you are not only clueless you are arrogantly and rudely so.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
well if you don't like message board posters....just trust what is actually happening in Reality to see whats going on

Or actual Doctors and what they are dealing with Daily

https://twitter.com/JReinerMD/status/1547689113867784192

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I have had similar thoughts and questions. I was at 2 dr’s yesterday. A primary care and a neurologist (who also happens to do rotations at an ER). Both had similar answers.

They both thought that we will continue to see surges and reductions like we have for the past 2 yrs. They both are hopeful that we are seeing w Ba5 a more transmissible virus. One that causes more people to actually get sick (less asymptomatic cases), but one that is less severe. The PC Dr said he is currently seeing more patients for CoVid but as of yesterday he didn’t know of a patient on a ventilator at SMC in the last couple of months (great news).

The neurologist is very positive about the new mRNA vaxes coming this fall that specifically target variants and believes we will see even more exciting news in the coming year on the vaccination front. Not just on CoVid but on other fronts.

They are both huge believers in vaccines, boosters and masking indoors. Despite seeing hundreds if not 1000’s of patients w CoVid, neither of them have had CoVid. In fact it was the neurologist who convinced us to return to indoor sporting events if we were masked.

Both believe that unless the virus takes a negative turn that we will still see certain at risk groups (elderly, health compromised and UNVAXED/BOOSTED) continue to get really sick and potentially die but that we should be able to continue to function as we do today. Both of them had this as a big caveat in that the virus can certainly mutate to something much worse but they both stressed “stay healthy, keep your shots up to date, watch positivity rates/new cases in your area and mask up indoors if #s dictate).

As to your point about vaccine effectiveness I specifically asked the neurologist that exact question. He said he is frustrated at the “cockroaches” who are using current effectiveness as a reason to not get vaccinated. Ba5 is genetically so far away from the strain that the vaccines were designed for that he thinks it’s a miracle that they are as effective at preventing hospitalization and death. His words were very choice bc he thinks that when science catches up in the next 3 months w variant specific vaccines and we continue to learn and adapt quicker to the mutations that those people talking down vaccines today bc “see I told you they don’t work” will essentially have blood on their hands. Natural selection at its finest.
I appreciate your input.

I can't imagine that we would be able to develop and implement variant specific vaccines in a timely manner before the next mutation occurs. I guess each new vaccine would provide better protection against the next variant as oppose to the original vaccines though.

Dec 9, 2013
I appreciate your input.

I can't imagine that we would be able to develop and implement variant specific vaccines in a timely manner before the next mutation occurs. I guess each new vaccine would provide better protection against the next variant as oppose to the original vaccines though.
One thing I have read is that genetically, the latest version Ba5 is further away from the original Omicron that went through the US in Dec-Feb than the original omicron is from the original strain. Basically in 6-8 months CoVid has evolved genetically more than it did in the 1st 2 yrs.

I’m always looking for insight and thoughts so I appreciate when someone like yourself is doing likewise.

I know we have all pretty much gone on w life and other issues have taken focus, but this virus is still killing over 350 people/d in the US. We are losing more than 125,000 friends and family per year when we don’t have to. That’s a huge # for an alleged pro life nation.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
One thing I have read is that genetically, the latest version Ba5 is further away from the original Omicron that went through the US in Dec-Feb than the original omicron is from the original strain. Basically in 6-8 months CoVid has evolved genetically more than it did in the 1st 2 yrs.

I’m always looking for insight and thoughts so I appreciate when someone like yourself is doing likewise.

I know we have all pretty much gone on w life and other issues have taken focus, but this virus is still killing over 350 people/d in the US. We are losing more than 125,000 friends and family per year when we don’t have to. That’s a huge # for an alleged pro life nation.
Curioius as to what you mean by this?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
well if you don't like message board posters....just trust what is actually happening in Reality to see whats going on

Or actual Doctors and what they are dealing with Daily

https://twitter.com/JReinerMD/status/1547689113867784192
Based on those numbers, there’s a cumulative death rate of 1.1% which includes a period when numerous citizens were not yet vaccinated, and a current daily average of .33% with virtually no restrictions. Sorry you don’t understand the concept of risk.

Dec 9, 2013
Based on those numbers, there’s a cumulative death rate of 1.1% which includes a period when numerous citizens were not yet vaccinated, and a current daily average of .33% with virtually no restrictions. Sorry you don’t understand the concept of risk.
The declining death rate you mention is indeed a very positive indicator that science is helping us. You even imply that in your post so I would think you believe vaccines are saving lives. The data certainly backs that up.

If the data supports that vaccines are saving lives, why did you get irritated when I said that one of the drs I spoke w was frustrated that the current line of thought being peddled by some antivaxers could lead to fewer people getting vaxed/boosted in the future?

The neurologist was seeing the same data you cited. Vaccines have decreased the death rate. We all agree that is a good thing.

We also know that since vaccines were developed in late 2020 the virus has mutated to a new variant that is significantly different than the virus the vaccine was designed for. It’s truly a miracle that we are so quickly developing new vaccines to target variants.

So it’s only logical that drs/scientists would be frustrated that we have certain segments of population that dishonestly promote misinformation regarding the fact that the current vaccine has been remarkable at saving lives. Even variants that are so far removed from the original strain. The next step for consumers of that dishonesty is to question the effectiveness of nextgen vaccines. We already see fewer getting boosted and that dishonesty will cause even fewer to get boosted.

So using your numbers that show that vaccines are saving lives at a remarkable rate shouldn’t we be kicking to the curb those that continue to be dishonest about vaccines? How else would you describe those that spread lies about vaccines, influence people to not get vaxed/boosted which will ultimately cause unnecessary deaths? Won’t they have blood on their hands?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
The declining death rate you mention is indeed a very positive indicator that science is helping us. You even imply that in your post so I would think you believe vaccines are saving lives. The data certainly backs that up.

If the data supports that vaccines are saving lives, why did you get irritated when I said that one of the drs I spoke w was frustrated that the current line of thought being peddled by some antivaxers could lead to fewer people getting vaxed/boosted in the future?

The neurologist was seeing the same data you cited. Vaccines have decreased the death rate. We all agree that is a good thing.

We also know that since vaccines were developed in late 2020 the virus has mutated to a new variant that is significantly different than the virus the vaccine was designed for. It’s truly a miracle that we are so quickly developing new vaccines to target variants.

So it’s only logical that drs/scientists would be frustrated that we have certain segments of population that dishonestly promote misinformation regarding the fact that the current vaccine has been remarkable at saving lives. Even variants that are so far removed from the original strain. The next step for consumers of that dishonesty is to question the effectiveness of nextgen vaccines. We already see fewer getting boosted and that dishonesty will cause even fewer to get boosted.

So using your numbers that show that vaccines are saving lives at a remarkable rate shouldn’t we be kicking to the curb those that continue to be dishonest about vaccines? How else would you describe those that spread lies about vaccines, influence people to not get vaxed/boosted which will ultimately cause unnecessary deaths? Won’t they have blood on their hands?
Didn’t get irritated at anything you said because I wasn’t aware you said anything. My response was to Binman’s post full of data.

Dec 9, 2013
Uh, all of it? It’s just a broad, undefined statement. I thought maybe you had something specific in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vaccines, boosters, testing and antivirals save lives.

According to the latest cdc available statistics, Unvaxed are 8 times more likely than vaxed to die from CoVid.

Unvaxed are 17 times more likely than boosted to die from CoVid.

At current daily deaths from CoVid (350/d), US will experience more than 125,000 deaths in a 365 day period. Caveat in that the 350 deaths/d is likely to increase as we are at the beginning of another surge so that # could be between 150,000 and 200,000 in that same 365 day period.

If the unvaxxed/not boosted would do such a great majority of said 125,000 deaths would be avoided. That’s where the unnecessary comment comes into play.