Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Gawd, so many whiny, selfish people out there.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...lers-may-soon-disappear/ar-AAWXaE6?li=BBnb7Kz

More than 250 travel-related organizations, including Delta, United, American and Southwest airlines and the Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Omni and Choice hotel chains, sent a letter to the White House on May 5 asking the government "to expeditiously terminate the inbound testing requirement for vaccinated air travelers." The letter pointed out that Germany, Canada, the United Kingdom and other countries no longer test incoming passengers for Covid, and that many American workers are returning to normal routines—so why not international travel?

There are also inconsistencies in the testing policy. People traveling to the U.S. from Mexico or Canada by land don’t need to show a negative COVID test, for example, while air travelers do.
Travel industry officials say Commerce Sec. Gina Raimondo—whose job is to advocate for American businesses—is pushing for an end to the testing rule. But Biden administration COVID policy is driven by the White House, where Ashish Jha recently replaced Jeff Zients as the national COVID response coordinator. Jha, presumably, would need to sign off on the withdrawal of the COVID testing rule, with Biden’s approval. So far, he hasn't.

Roughly 2 million people per day now fly domestically without a mask requirement, while the number of international travelers who must pass a COVID test is about one-tenth as many. Vaccines and boosters, meanwhile, have slashed the odds of serious illness for those who get COVID.
“There’s no reason for a pre-departure testing requirement,” says Tori Barnes, executive vice president for public affairs and policy as the U.S. Travel Association. “We need to be globally competitive as a country. All other countries moving toward an endemic stage.”

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Preventing the flu by vaccination is superior to "natural immunity" gained by catching the flu.

Flu Vaccines Reduce MACE, Especially In Patients With Recent ACS, Research Indicates

TCTMD (5/6, Maxwell) reported that “flu vaccines can reduce major cardiovascular events [MACE] by as much as one-third compared with placebo, according to a new meta-analysis” published in JAMA Network Open, “with the largest benefit seen in those with recent ACS.”

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Biden Administration Warning US Could See COVID-19 Surge This Fall, Winter

The Washington Post (5/6, A1, Abutaleb, Achenbach) reported, “The Biden administration is warning the United States could see 100 million coronavirus infections and a potentially significant wave of deaths this fall and winter, driven by new Omicron subvariants that have shown a remarkable ability to escape immunity.” This “projection, made Friday by a senior administration official...is part of a broader push to boost the nation’s readiness and persuade lawmakers to appropriate billions of dollars to purchase a new tranche of vaccines, tests and therapeutics.”

Politico (5/8, Farrow) reports COVID-19 cases “surged during the last two winters and are likely to again this year – unless the country can prepare and act...said” White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha.

The Hill (5/6, Sullivan) also reported.

Sep 3, 2010

The Washington Post (5/6, A1, Abutaleb, Achenbach) reported, “The Biden administration is warning the United States could see 100 million coronavirus infections and a potentially significant wave of deaths this fall and winter, driven by new Omicron subvariants that have shown a remarkable ability to escape immunity.” This “projection, made Friday by a senior administration official...is part of a broader push to boost the nation’s readiness and persuade lawmakers to appropriate billions of dollars to purchase a new tranche of vaccines, tests and therapeutics.”

Politico (5/8, Farrow) reports COVID-19 cases “surged during the last two winters and are likely to again this year – unless the country can prepare and act...said” White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha.

The Hill (5/6, Sullivan) also reported.
Better get those mail in ballots ready:thumbup:

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
From APhA Pharmacy Today:

FDA rebukes Pfizer CEO's suggestion to take more Paxlovid if COVID-19 symptoms return
By Zoey Becker
May 5, 2022 06:30am

The FDA rebuked Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla’s proposed solution to reports that some patients experienced a relapse of COVID-19 symptoms after treatment with the company's antiviral Paxlovid.

After reports said some patients who took Paxlovid rebounded and started feeling symptoms again, the CEO told Bloomberg that patients can take another course, “like you do with antibiotics.”

“Paxlovid does what it has to do: It reduces the viral load,” Bourla, Ph.D., told Bloomberg in an interview. “Then your body is supposed to do the job.”

The FDA isn't on board with the suggestion.

“There is no evidence of benefit at this time for a longer course of treatment … or repeating a treatment course of Paxlovid in patients with recurrent COVID-19 symptoms following completion of a treatment course,” John Farley, M.D., director of the Office of Infectious Diseases, said in a post.

About 80,000 US COVID-19 patients have sought treatment with the antiviral as of April 22, CNBC reports. It’s not clear how many patients have had a COVID-19 rebound after taking the full course of the treatment, but many reports of rebounds have surfaced in the last week, puzzling doctors.

Pfizer received an emergency use authorization from the FDA in December to sell its antiviral, the first of its kind to fight COVID-19. Since then, the U.S. has ordered 20 million courses and is working to bolster the pill’s availability. The drug is heavily endorsed by the Biden administration and was even prescribed to Kamala Harris. Despite the accolades, it's not in as high demand as anticipated, and it recently was found ineffective for post-exposure protection.

The pill is prescribed as a five-day course, and its directions read that it is “not authorized for use for longer than 5 consecutive days.”

Paxlovid garnered Pfizer $1.5 billion in sales in the first quarter, and the company forecasts $22 billion in global sales from the product this year.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

They are saying that we'll have more cases this winter....than we've officially had for the ENTIRETY of the pandemic up to that point?

1652133966431.png

If there were a million cases a day, every day, from Oct 1st to Jan 1st, you'd only have 92 million. At the peak of Omicron, we hit 900K cases/day and those levels only lasted a week. And now we have vaccines and prior infections to help blunt the spread.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. And this is from someone who is vaccinated and boosted. This appears to be complete and utter bunk. That many infections in that short amount of time would overwhelm the hospitals. It would be like the entire pandemic plus 15% all smashed into a 100 day window.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
They are saying that we'll have more cases this winter....than we've officially had for the ENTIRETY of the pandemic up to that point?

View attachment 95608

If there were a million cases a day, every day, from Oct 1st to Jan 1st, you'd only have 92 million. At the peak of Omicron, we hit 900K cases/day and those levels only lasted a week. And now we have vaccines and prior infections to help blunt the spread.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. And this is from someone who is vaccinated and boosted. This appears to be complete and utter bunk. That many infections in that short amount of time would overwhelm the hospitals. It would be like the entire pandemic plus 15% all smashed into a 100 day window.
Nothing like fear to control the population

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

View attachment 95608

Depends on whether you mean confirmed cases or other estimates. There's a good chance we had around 100 million omicron cases. Optimistically we caught about 25% of cases from that wave and probably down between 10 and 20%. That means we peaked at over 2.5 million cases per day and up to 8 million per day. On the other hand, if they mean confirmed and reported cases, there's zero chance we get close to 100 million.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Nothing like fear to control the population
The government goes off models. During all of this some models were way off and some were right.

I'd guess this one is way off. I'm guessing the 100 million mark includes the 50 million or so who take a home test and don't report it plus the estimates of people who get a minor illness and stay at home for a couple of days instead of going to work.

This is playing out the way it should. From an evolutionary standpoint the virus doesn't want to kill people. It can't spread if you get really sick and die. It spreads when you think you have allergies and give it to someone else at work. Will there be 100 million cases? I doubt it but it's plausible. Will we see the chaos from the last two years? No. The current variant is easily transmissable but we've seen the variants become less and less likely to cause significant cases. Plus you have a vaccinated/natural immunity population and it's probably a good chance we will have an effective COVID shot by October so we should not worry about a winter surge.

This is the new flu. I've had minor interruptions in my life because of that and with COVID it will be the same. It's going to be an annual booster and by fall schools and businesses will have the same protocol if you catch a random bug.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
The government goes off models. During all of this some models were way off and some were right.

I'd guess this one is way off. I'm guessing the 100 million mark includes the 50 million or so who take a home test and don't report it plus the estimates of people who get a minor illness and stay at home for a couple of days instead of going to work.

This is playing out the way it should. From an evolutionary standpoint the virus doesn't want to kill people. It can't spread if you get really sick and die. It spreads when you think you have allergies and give it to someone else at work. Will there be 100 million cases? I doubt it but it's plausible. Will we see the chaos from the last two years? No. The current variant is easily transmissable but we've seen the variants become less and less likely to cause significant cases. Plus you have a vaccinated/natural immunity population and it's probably a good chance we will have an effective COVID shot by October so we should not worry about a winter surge.

This is the new flu. I've had minor interruptions in my life because of that and with COVID it will be the same. It's going to be an annual booster and by fall schools and businesses will have the same protocol if you catch a random bug.
Unreported home tests are part of the report

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

I'm OK with all of this except the virus doesn't need you to stay alive once it spreads to a new host. It will continue spreading as long as it finds a new host regardless of what else happens. We should likely see milder and milder infections as long as mutations don't get too fast and extreme, but that has more to do wirh robust immune responses from repeat exposures rather than the virus needing us to stay alive. You could argue that the virus doesn’t need to kill you in that scenario either because selective pressure means that it only needs to mutate just enough to find another host in order to continue spreading. Omicron is an example of not needing to become more lethal whereas delta was an example of increased lethality not reducing spread.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Cover-up led to 400 million COVID vaccines being trashed, congressional report says

WASHINGTON (AP) — Executives at contract vaccine manufacturer Emergent BioSolutions covered up quality control problems that led to more than 400 million doses of coronavirus vaccines needing to be trashed, congressional investigators said in a report Tuesday.

The number of destroyed doses was far higher than previously thought, and senior executives had been warned for years that its quality systems were deficient, according to the House committee report.
"Despite major red flags at its vaccine manufacturing facility, Emergent's executives swept these problems under the rug and continued to rake in taxpayer dollars," said Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y.​

The report said inexperienced staff and high turnover rates contributed to vaccine contamination.
The problem-plagued Baltimore factory was shut down by the Food and Drug Administration in April 2021 due to the contamination. The company was forced to trash what was thought to be the equivalent of tens of millions of doses of vaccine it was making for Johnson & Johnson. The bulk vaccine had been contaminated with an ingredient for AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine, which was being made in the same factory.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration allowed Emergent to resume COVID-19 vaccine production in August 2021. Emergent received $330 million in taxpayer funds before the federal government terminated the contract in November, the report said.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
To be fair, you're also assuming that they actually have it there and this isn't just NK being NK.
This. It's North Korea so you really can't trust anything they say.

Also North Korea style lockdowns are effective. We think we did a lockdown 2 years ago but we kinda half a$$ed it so hindsight says it didn't do much good here. North Korea has the power to do things to their people that would make China blush. If they confine everyone to their homes and don't give a smurf if people starve and unfortunately all COVID are fatal then they will eradicate it.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/eligible-wait-cdc-saying-think-193254625.html

Erin Prater
Fri, May 13, 2022, 1:32 PM

The government wants you to wait on getting that fourth vaccine shot, and it won’t say exactly why.
Americans eligible for a second COVID booster shot—including those 50 and older and the immunocompromised—may want to consider waiting before getting a fourth jab, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday, as it launched an online tool to help individuals determine if they qualify.

Per the agency’s booster guidance website, updated Friday, those who are eligible for a second booster should consider how likely they are to get “very sick” from the virus based on preexisting health issues and potential community exposure.

“If you are eligible, can you wait?” asks the guidance, urging those who have had COVID-19 in the past three months or who feel “that getting a second booster now would make you not want to get another booster in the future” to consider holding off.

Updated guidance encourages those eligible to think again based on “the benefits and risks of a second booster,” but does not expound. The CDC did not respond to questions from Fortune on Friday as to what the potential risk and benefits are of a second booster, in particular, or whether there are concerns about the continued efficacy of current vaccines, especially in light of immune-evading Omicron subvariants.
It also failed to respond to questions about potential supply concerns, given a lack of renewed COVID funding by Congress. The government is running out of money to fund its efforts to combat the virus, and a $22.5 billion March ask by the Biden administration to fund, among other things, boosters and variant-specific vaccines, was pared down to $10 billion. But it’s still stuck in limbo, caught up in immigration politics, The Hill reported this week.

Meanwhile, Politico reported Friday that the White House is preparing to ration COVID vaccines in light of the continued funding impasse.

“Among the sacrifices being weighed are limiting access to its next generation of vaccines to only the highest-risk Americans—a rationing that would have been unthinkable just a year ago, when the White House touted the development and widespread availability of vaccines as the clearest way out of the pandemic,” Politico’s Adam Cancryn wrote, adding that White House officials are “increasingly concluding that these types of difficult choices will soon have to be made.”

A March 15 White House memo warned that Congress’ failure to fund additional COVID efforts “will have severe consequences as we will not be equipped to deal with a future surge.”
U.S. COVID cases have risen steeply in recent weeks, and hospitalizations have also been on the rise. Earlier this month the White House warned of a coming surge this fall and winter that could more than double the amount of COVID infections the U.S. has recorded thus far.
“Without funding, the United States will not have enough additional boosters or variant-specific vaccines, if needed, for all Americans,” the March White House memo warned.