Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Did you read my post? The only ones being revoked are the ones that don't work against omicron. That's also obvious in the link I posted. The one thing Biden has more control over is distribution. That happened a month ago. Now, the FDA revoked the EUA of the ineffective mabs. You want the FDA to maintain authorization for something that doesn't work and for the government to keep paying money for it?
So we’re to the point of the only variant in the country now is omicron? Have we reached that point?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Why are the feds concentrating on ancillary things rather than cures?
By ancillary I mean test and mask...Neither of those things have a single thing to do with curing covid at this point in the pandemic we should HONESTLY be kinda past them. Everyone is or has been infected or will be infected...is what I'm reading. Why prevent it at this point...why not just cure it.

IMHO these things should be handed State to State...not top down by a distant Fed. Our system is set up to find best case...if you eliminate case studies you don't find best.
Except they're doing both, just the treatment side doesn't make the news. They helped Pfizer prepare to scale up production of paxlovid. The feds are buying and helping them distribute an expected 20 million doses of it by June. They're helping companies scale up for production of other drugs that aren't even out yet so that we have thousands of doses ready when approved. They're helping run clinical trials of other drugs.

If you don't believe me, read more on David Kessler and the White House COVID response team.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Except they're doing both, just the treatment side doesn't make the news. They helped Pfizer prepare to scale up production of paxlovid. The feds are buying and helping them distribute an expected 20 million doses of it by June. They're helping companies scale up for production of other drugs that aren't even out yet so that we have thousands of doses ready when approved. They're helping run clinical trials of other drugs.

If you don't believe me, read more on David Kessler and the White House COVID response team.
Ok, I just think things that were designed and failed to mitigate spread should be scrapped completely to end the focus on them by the media. Get kids in schools, stop worrying about masking and mandates for failed mitigations and focus squarely and only on cure and fast.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Only 3 to 5% is delta as of two weeks ago and there are very few places that can sequence the genome fast enough to make clinical decisions based on which variant you have. So, yeah, basically.
There are two variants of Omicron right now. Two cases of the 2nd variant confirmed in US last month but there is no indications from early research that say one causes more hospitalizations than the other.

However, both variants increasing in countries worldwide.
https://www.king5.com/article/news/...tate/281-2e28efb6-00ea-46ea-b543-c670be737272

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2013
Ok, I just think things that were designed and failed to mitigate spread should be scrapped completely to end the focus on them by the media. Get kids in schools, stop worrying about masking and mandates for failed mitigations and focus squarely and only on cure and fast.
Ok. I am reading what you are saying and I too believe we need more in our arsenal. I think I know what you are saying about a cure and fast and I’ve read enough from you to know that you speak from the heart and are vaccinated and wear masks when required. But the cure thing is an interesting thought.

Masks cost what? 5-10$ a piece. N95 & KN95 can prevent infection or in close quarters for up to 25 hours of continuous contact. But many won’t wear them. Why?

Vaccines cost $20-$200 and we can only get 1/3rd of the country to get to the point of 3 shots. Why?

Current antibody treatments cost north of $2000. Are just as new give or take a decade as the vaccine technology. They are developed, distributed and administered by the same players as the vaccine which is a reason by some who distrust the vaccine to not get jabbed.

It defies all conservative common sense that we won’t wear masks (especially in schools) and get fully vaccinated/boosted. It’s cheaper and it actually prevents spread. It’s a quicker way to completely reopening society. As long as we continue to be living walking Petri dishes and rely on a cure we won’t get out of this for a while.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Ok. I am reading what you are saying and I too believe we need more in our arsenal. I think I know what you are saying about a cure and fast and I’ve read enough from you to know that you speak from the heart and are vaccinated and wear masks when required. But the cure thing is an interesting thought.

Masks cost what? 5-10$ a piece. N95 & KN95 can prevent infection or in close quarters for up to 25 hours of continuous contact. But many won’t wear them. Why?

Vaccines cost $20-$200 and we can only get 1/3rd of the country to get to the point of 3 shots. Why?

Current antibody treatments cost north of $2000. Are just as new give or take a decade as the vaccine technology. They are developed, distributed and administered by the same players as the vaccine which is a reason by some who distrust the vaccine to not get jabbed.

It defies all conservative common sense that we won’t wear masks (especially in schools) and get fully vaccinated/boosted. It’s cheaper and it actually prevents spread. It’s a quicker way to completely reopening society. As long as we continue to be living walking Petri dishes and rely on a cure we won’t get out of this for a while.
Honestly, I don't know the answer and just want it over...like everyone else on Earth. Keep hoping it's gone in the morning...that we see no more death and destruction and that we can move on as a society to a happier more together time. Painting the other side of arguments as the enemy hasn't worked and only makes things worse. To that end, I agree with you on the vaccines and even mask when numbers are up...but I don't think all of America is going to get there and I'm against forcing them against their will, mostly because we cannot and we should not.

I think (once again, I don't know) the best way to end this should be mass immunity...natural or vaccinated. right? Does it not defy logic that this keeps going and going like the energizer bunny despite the fact we should be nearing immunity (both natural and vaccine produced). We are into this at 2 years now! Should this not be endemic by now, and if not now, then when?

Last edited:

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
So we’re to the point of the only variant in the country now is omicron? Have we reached that point?
Quit being political and just think about it for a sec. @OSUPsych is trying hard to help you and I'm curious, but a little pessimistic, that you can get there. This is what I do every day. I am fairly confident that I know more about this than anyone else on this board. I've consented a ton of patients for monoclonal abs against COVID-19. Quit trying to make this about idiot politicians and actually think about it in terms of experimental medicines and harms and benefits. The FDA can be stupid at times but they aren't trying to do political bidding, they are trying to prevent harm.

Here is a hint. Based on the limited data we have, for Mabs, there is an 85% risk reduction in hospitalization for those that can benefit. 1-2% risk of serious reaction for all that get it. We can't know when it is given who will benefit and who will react. The clear answer is in those numbers.

Add to that we are now prescribing Paxlovid and Molnupiravir that are pills and do not require nursing/monitoring time in our overtaxed health care system and still have effectiveness against omicron and is a no-brainer even without running numbers.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
But what about State Employees? How does a school keep the budget going like this? I think I saw that in the first week of State Employees being able to sub...135 out of 15K+ did across the state.
https://twitter.com/NewsOn6/status/1486341403751890947

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
But what about State Employees? How does a school keep the budget going like this? I think I saw that in the first week of State Employees being able to sub...135 out of 15K+ did across the state.
https://twitter.com/NewsOn6/status/1486341403751890947
Bartlesville did the same thing.

I would imagine it will only be the larger school districts that can do this.

Mar 11, 2006
Do teachers still have their pay decreased by the amount it takes to hire a sub once they run out of sick days?
Teachers, in the districts I know about, have their sick days accumulate each year. For example, many tenured teachers may have 100+ sick days available to them --- some very tenured teachers have been known to retire with a full years pay of sick days.

I am not sure if that is the case in all, or a majority of districts, --- but for many of the large districts in eastern OK --- that is a nice benefit to encourage retaining teachers.

Last year, although I don't believe this is in effect this year, teachers w/o available sick days were not docked pay ---- however that could well have been a local policy.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I'll have to check with my wife but I'm pretty sure once your out of sick days then they dock your pay... Like your FULL pay for the day, not what it takes to pay a sub.
Ok, confirmed with my wife that (at least in her district) that if they're out of sick days and take another day then they get docked their pay for the day which she said was $60/day.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Teachers, in the districts I know about, have their sick days accumulate each year. For example, many tenured teachers may have 100+ sick days available to them --- some very tenured teachers have been known to retire with a full years pay of sick days.

I am not sure if that is the case in all, or a majority of districts, --- but for many of the large districts in eastern OK --- that is a nice benefit to encourage retaining teachers.

Last year, although I don't believe this is in effect this year, teachers w/o available sick days were not docked pay ---- however that could well have been a local policy.
ahh the old, don't ever get sick and you will have TONS of sick time for the next Pandemic, Plan.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Once again, the frightening crazy stuff that paranoid conspiracy theorists put out against covid vaccines and masks largely explains why some people won't get vaccinated or resist masks. I don't think the government or mass media is doing a good job of debunking the nonsense. They seem to think it's best to largely ignore it.