Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I don’t have a television to watch the news.

Myself, and others, point out the error of your comment and now I'm the problem? LOL
What error? I'm not saying YOUR the problem, I'm saying MANY of us Americans are caught in a trap that says someone else is the problem...when the problem is really a lack of compromise and blaming the other guy and saying he/she is evil, instead of trying to work things out...This is a major issue for both extremes of the political spectrum, while I believe it's still NOT an issue for most Americans who typically fall more in the middle, OR, at least, believe in compromise.

Regarding Covid...if you can, folks, get your shot or boster...OR if you get covid treat is agressively. All of those things SHOULD keep you out of the hospital. HOPEFULLY we are all headed for a better year regarding the pandemic than the last one...We need a end in site.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
What error? I'm not saying YOUR the problem, I'm saying MANY of us Americans are caught in a trap that says someone else is the problem...when the problem is really a lack of compromise and blaming the other guy and saying he/she is evil, instead of trying to work things out...This is a major issue for both extremes of the political spectrum, while I believe it's still NOT an issue for most Americans who typically fall more in the middle, OR, at least, believe in compromise.
I quote "The enemy of America's future is divisiveness and you, and anyone else..."

Perhaps you didn't mean it the way you said it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Unfortunately that data doesn’t capture the very large number of people who now just go obtain their own test kit and test positive.
Also, something to keep in mind, those with the vaccine who might get it don't get very sick so they don't 1. know they had it 2. it's so fast they are fine in a day or so so they don't test....Example, I don't know what I had the other day...I tested negative. I'm 100% now, but I'm NOT convinced that what I had wasn't covid. So, I'm agreeing that the data isn't perfect...but what I think we should all be able to look at and agree upon is that vaccines reduce the effects of the covid virus for the vast majority of people who get them. Those who don't get the rna vaccines seem to have a much worse time with covid virus for some reason...even those, in my family experience, who had previous infection (which is weird to me, i.e. doesn't make sense with natural immunity and all). Extended family member has it now for 2nd time, unvaccinated, sick going on three weeks now...got the anti bodies the other day...we are hoping that helps even if a little late.

Bottom line, I think vaccines are a big tool in the fight against Covid, while at the same time think only Tool's use it as a way to discriminate against their fellow Americans (i.e. vaccine mandates and passports are downright discrimination against Americans who choose not too (for whatever reason) get the vaccine). Even though I think it's the right choice, I still believe 100% it should be one.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I quote "The enemy of America's future is divisiveness and you, and anyone else..."

Perhaps you didn't mean it the way you said it.
Finish the sentence...
"The enemy of America's future is divisiveness and you, and anyone else who watches the "news" these days is unwittingly eating America's poison pill. It's time to pull back, realize the only savior for America's future is cooperation and understanding that is only made possible by the political center.."

None of this means you the enemy of America's future...just read the rest of it.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Finish the sentence...
"The enemy of America's future is divisiveness and you, and anyone else who watches the "news" these days is unwittingly eating America's poison pill. It's time to pull back, realize the only savior for America's future is cooperation and understanding that is only made possible by the political center.."

None of this means you the enemy of America's future...just read the rest of it.
I did read it all.

"The enemy of America's future is divisiveness and you, and anyone else who watches the "news".."

If you didn't mean me (and like I said perhaps you didn't mean it the way you typed it) you would have said "The enemy of America's future is divisiveness and anyone who watches the "news".."

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I did read it all.

"The enemy of America's future is divisiveness and you, and anyone else who watches the "news".."

If you didn't mean me (and like I said perhaps you didn't mean it the way you typed it) you would have said "The enemy of America's future is divisiveness and anyone who watches the "news".."
The point I’m making is that if “you” (collective) watch divisive media you are an unwitting victim of the culture of division and taking americas poison pill. I’m NOT blaming all the “you’s” out there…I’m blaming the poison pill and those feeding it to “you.” NOT just you …but those who are fooled on all sides of politics into believing one or the other side is just outright evil…thing is, neither side is evil, both sides want better for the country, they are just shitty at compromise..btw, my written English sucks…that’s why I married an English major…but I have to fly on my own on this board…sorry I offended…was not intended

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
The point I’m making is that if “you” (collective) watch divisive media you are an unwitting victim of the culture of division and taking americas poison pill. I’m NOT blaming all the “you’s” out there…I’m blaming the poison pill and those feeding it to “you.” NOT just you …but those who are fooled on all sides of politics into believing one or the other side is just outright evil…thing is, neither side is evil, both sides want better for the country, they are just shitty at compromise..btw, my written English sucks…that’s why I married an English major…but I have to fly on my own on this board…sorry I offended…was not intended
I get your point and understand what you were saying, you've explained that. All is good.

Most of us, even though we disagree on the path, want many of the same things. Certainly there are some issues we don't agree on and may never agree on, but most of us are willing to (and do) not let it interfere in our daily lives and friendships.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Natural immunity more potent than vaccines during US Delta wave: CDC study

https://news.yahoo.com/natural-immunity-more-potent-vaccines-200205306.html

The study could however be impacted by an effect known as "selection bias," since it excluded people who died, who were overwhelmingly unvaccinated.

Well, that is an odd thing to decide to exclude. I guess it may protect you better, unless it lets it kill you, then you are dropped from the study so we don't know. Death would be a pretty important outcome of "protection," I would think.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
The study could however be impacted by an effect known as "selection bias," since it excluded people who died, who were overwhelmingly unvaccinated.

Well, that is an odd thing to decide to exclude. I guess it may protect you better, unless it lets it kill you, then you are dropped from the study so we don't know. Death would be a pretty important outcome of "protection," I would think.
I guess technically those who died didn't catch delta

This article doesn’t hold back about the true reason. Its right there in the headline. There are some very sick people working in this administration.

Florida's Monoclonal Antibody Clinics Close in Blow to Ron DeSantis

By Darragh Roche On 1/25/22 at 4:13 AM EST
Florida's monoclonal antibody sites are shutting down after the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) revoked emergency use authorization for the treatment19.

The Florida Department of Health has said all the state-run sites for administering the antibodies will close following the FDA's decision in what will be seen as a blow to Governor Ron DeSantis.

DeSantis, a Republican, has been an outspoken advocate of monoclonal antibodies as a COVID treatment and has been pressuring the federal government to provide more of them to his state.

Read more
New York Supreme Court Halts State's Mask Mandate for Schools, Elsewhere
Best of Newsweek via email

On Monday, the FDA revoked emergency use authorization for two monoclonal antibody treatments, produced by Regeneron and Eli Lilly respectively.

"Because data show these treatments are highly unlikely to be active against the omicron variant, which is circulating at a very high frequency throughout the United States, these treatments are not authorized for use in any U.S. states, territories, and jurisdictions at this time," the FDA said in a statement.

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHSS) notified state governments that it would halt distribution of the treatments and the Florida Department of Health said state-run sites for administering the antibodies would close.

"Florida disagrees with the decision that blocks access to any available treatments in the absence of clinical evidence. To date, such clinical evidence has not been provided by the United States Food and Drug Administration," the state's Department of Health said in a statement.

Governor DeSantis has been perhaps the nation's strongest advocate for monoclonal antibody treatments and has clashed with the federal government over providing them. He opened new monoclonal antibody treatment sites in Florida just last week.

Read more
The Republican slammed the FDA's decision in a statement on Monday.

"Without a shred of clinical data to support this action, Biden has forced trained medical professionals to choose between treating their patients or breaking the law," DeSantis said.

"This indefensible edict takes treatment out of the hands of medical professionals and will cost some Americans their lives. There are real-world implications to Biden's medical authoritarianism—Americans' access to treatments is now subject to the whims of a failing president," the governor said.

The statement from the governor's office also noted that, due to the FDA's decision, "the appointments for more than 2,000 Floridians to receive this treatment were canceled on January 25, 2022, alone."

DeSantis has been highly critical of the federal government's approach to monoclonal antibodies, including the decision to limit the number of the therapeutics available to Florida.

Federal authorities took control of the distribution of the antibodies in September and prevented states buying them directly from manufacturers— a move DeSantis criticized.

"They've always been playing games on this," the governor said in Jacksonville on Monday.

Critics have accused DeSantis of downplaying COVID-19 vaccines in favor of monoclonal antibody treatments. DeSantis' office has denied that is the case.

"With Omicron, you know, the vaccinations are not preventing infection," DeSantis said at a press conference earlier this month. He said at the time that it hadn't been "definitely shown at all" that monoclonal antibody treatment was ineffective against the Omicron variant.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
This article doesn’t hold back about the true reason. Its right there in the headline. There are some very sick people working in this administration.

Florida's Monoclonal Antibody Clinics Close in Blow to Ron DeSantis

By Darragh Roche On 1/25/22 at 4:13 AM EST
Florida's monoclonal antibody sites are shutting down after the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) revoked emergency use authorization for the treatment19.

The Florida Department of Health has said all the state-run sites for administering the antibodies will close following the FDA's decision in what will be seen as a blow to Governor Ron DeSantis.

DeSantis, a Republican, has been an outspoken advocate of monoclonal antibodies as a COVID treatment and has been pressuring the federal government to provide more of them to his state.

Read more
New York Supreme Court Halts State's Mask Mandate for Schools, Elsewhere
Best of Newsweek via email

On Monday, the FDA revoked emergency use authorization for two monoclonal antibody treatments, produced by Regeneron and Eli Lilly respectively.

"Because data show these treatments are highly unlikely to be active against the omicron variant, which is circulating at a very high frequency throughout the United States, these treatments are not authorized for use in any U.S. states, territories, and jurisdictions at this time," the FDA said in a statement.

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHSS) notified state governments that it would halt distribution of the treatments and the Florida Department of Health said state-run sites for administering the antibodies would close.

"Florida disagrees with the decision that blocks access to any available treatments in the absence of clinical evidence. To date, such clinical evidence has not been provided by the United States Food and Drug Administration," the state's Department of Health said in a statement.

Governor DeSantis has been perhaps the nation's strongest advocate for monoclonal antibody treatments and has clashed with the federal government over providing them. He opened new monoclonal antibody treatment sites in Florida just last week.

Read more
The Republican slammed the FDA's decision in a statement on Monday.

"Without a shred of clinical data to support this action, Biden has forced trained medical professionals to choose between treating their patients or breaking the law," DeSantis said.

"This indefensible edict takes treatment out of the hands of medical professionals and will cost some Americans their lives. There are real-world implications to Biden's medical authoritarianism—Americans' access to treatments is now subject to the whims of a failing president," the governor said.

The statement from the governor's office also noted that, due to the FDA's decision, "the appointments for more than 2,000 Floridians to receive this treatment were canceled on January 25, 2022, alone."

DeSantis has been highly critical of the federal government's approach to monoclonal antibodies, including the decision to limit the number of the therapeutics available to Florida.

Federal authorities took control of the distribution of the antibodies in September and prevented states buying them directly from manufacturers— a move DeSantis criticized.

"They've always been playing games on this," the governor said in Jacksonville on Monday.

Critics have accused DeSantis of downplaying COVID-19 vaccines in favor of monoclonal antibody treatments. DeSantis' office has denied that is the case.

"With Omicron, you know, the vaccinations are not preventing infection," DeSantis said at a press conference earlier this month. He said at the time that it hadn't been "definitely shown at all" that monoclonal antibody treatment was ineffective against the Omicron variant.
I'm sure this article is likely biased but if true that is some supreme BS right there. In the past year my understand was that this treatment was safe and effective. I've known many people who received this early in their infections with both Alpha and Delta and had very minor infections as a result. My own doctor was prescribing these procedures early on for treatment of both Alpha and Delta and my sister in law just received this Friday night for whichever strain she has...that next day she was feeling much improved...Bottom line, we need to be trying everything and making people well with whatever works. The FDA has overreached IMHO and this needs to be investigated and corrected. If this is true, why are we fighting our own citizens on their right to live?? In other news, Oklahoma has a weed store on every corner. States have rights, this needs to be overridden by the courts asap. All that being said, my understanding is that some counties in Florida do have some country run clinics still open for this treatment.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
As facts change with research and on the battle field experience we need to change our minds about certain things. Here's a few of them.

1. Vaccines seem to keep you out of the hospital in comparison to the unvaccinated. This is the main reason to take one. They don't seem to prevent you from getting the virus or spreading the virus but outcomes are better.

2. Because of #1 above we need to end all vaccine passport situations. Due to this information, those who choose to not get the vaccine are only more dangerous to themselves than to overall society (except in terms of hosptial staffing). The spread is going to happen between vaccinated (albeit it with better outcomes), as it is with unvaccinted.

3. It's illogical to continue to ask people for their papers in certain cities due to now proven wrong basic logic.

So what do we do...

1. Get your vaccine to keep yourself out of the hospital and to keep hospitals safe and open.
2. Lobby to have your local people stop vaccine passports and any other forms of discrimination that may be allowed in your city, state, or county.