Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://apnews.com/article/omicron-changing-news-outlets-covid-data-da9272f7c4c8a109c3bfb56bed9e9c76

NEW YORK (AP) — For two years, coronavirus case counts and hospitalizations have been widely used barometers of the pandemic’s march across the world.
But the omicron wave is making a mess of the usual statistics, forcing news organizations to rethink the way they report such figures.
“It’s just a data disaster,” said Katherine Wu, staff writer who covers COVID-19 for The Atlantic magazine.
The number of case counts soared over the holidays, an expected development given the emergence of a variant more transmissible than its predecessors.
Yet these counts only reflect what is reported by health authorities. They do not include most people who test themselves at home, or are infected without even knowing about it. Holidays and weekends also lead to lags in reported cases.
If you could add all those numbers up — and you can’t — case counts would likely be substantially higher.

Throughout the media, there has been more caution in use of official case counts.
An NBC News story on Monday about the skyrocketing number of COVID cases relied on a one-week average of case counts. A Tuesday story simply referred to a “tidal wave” of cases.
During its coverage of a Senate hearing with health experts on Tuesday, the case counts CNN flashed onscreen were two-week averages. MSNBC used a variety of measurements, including a listing of the five states with highest reported numbers over the past three days.
On its website’s “Guide to the Pandemic,” The Washington Post used a seven-day average of cases and compared that number to last Tuesday’s, showing a 56% increase. The New York Times used a daily count in an online chart, yet also included a two-week trend in both cases and deaths.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Funny cartoon I came across
this # will never be known. it will be described in History as "an estimated blank to blank number of people died worldwide" They will never know the true number. It will be talked about just like World War II type numbers. Just change a few of those words/numbers around and you have the way COVID death rates will be talked about historically in the future

For example
An estimated total of 70–85 million people perished, or about 3% of the 1940 world population (est. 2.3 billion). Deaths directly caused by the war (including military and civilian fatalities) are estimated at 50–56 million, with an additional estimated 19–28 million deaths from war-related disease and famine.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Dr. Anthony "follow the science" Fauci and others, didn't want to follow the science. I'm shocked.

--------------------------------------

Leading British and US scientists thought it was likely that Covid accidentally leaked from a laboratory but were concerned that further debate would harm science in China, emails show.

An email from Sir Jeremy Farrar, director of the Wellcome Trust, on February 2 2020 said that “a likely explanation” was that Covid had rapidly evolved from a Sars-like virus inside human tissue in a low-security lab.

The email, to Dr Anthony Fauci and Dr Francis Collins of the US National Institutes of Health, went on to say that such evolution may have “accidentally created a virus primed for rapid transmission between humans”.

But a leading scientist told Sir Jeremy that “further debate would do unnecessary harm to science in general and science in China in particular”. Dr Collins, the former director of the US National Institutes of Health, warned it could damage “international harmony”.

Viscount Ridley, co-author of Viral: the search for the origin of Covid, said: “These emails show a lamentable lack of openness and transparency among Western scientists who appear to have been more interested in shutting down a hypothesis they thought was very plausible, for political reasons.”

Advertisement
In the emails, Sir Jeremy said that other scientists also believed the virus could not have evolved naturally. One such scientist was Professor Mike Farzan, of Scripps Research, the expert who discovered how the original Sars virus binds to human cells.

Scientists were particularly concerned by a part of Covid-19 called the furin cleavage site, a section of the spike protein which helps it enter cells and makes it so infectious to humans.

Summarising Professor Farzan’s concerns in an email, Sir Jeremy said: “He is bothered by the furin site and has a hard time (to) explain that as an event outside the lab, though there are possible ways in nature but highly unlikely.

“I think this becomes a question of how do you put all this together, whether you believe in this series of coincidences, what you know of the lab in Wuhan, how much could be in nature - accidental release or natural event? I am 70:30 or 60:40.”

Later emails showed that by February 4, Sir Jeremy had revised his estimate of a laboratory leak to 50:50, while Professor Eddie Holmes, of the University of Sydney, gave a 60:40 estimate in favour of an accidental release.

Advertisement
The emails also show that Bob Garry, of the University of Texas, was unconvinced that Covid-19 emerged naturally.

“I just can’t figure out how this gets accomplished in nature,” he said.

Professor Andrew Rambaut, from the University of Edinburgh, also said that furin cleavage site “strikes me as unusual”.

He added: “I think the only people with sufficient information or access to samples to address it would be the teams working in Wuhan.”

The new details came to light after members of the US Republican House Oversight Committee were granted access to the documents, after complaining that their content had been heavily redacted when released under Freedom of Information requests.

The emails were sent in response to a teleconference between 12 scientists including Sir Patrick Vallance, the Government's chief scientific adviser, on February 1.

The emails show that by February 2 2020, scientists were already trying to shut down the debate into the laboratory leak theory.

An email from Dr Ron Fouchier to Sir Jeremy said: “Further debate about such accusations would unnecessarily distract top researchers from their active duties and do unnecessary harm to science in general and science in China in particular.”

Advertisement
Dr Collins, former director of the NIH, replied to Sir Jeremy stating: “I share your view that a swift convening of experts in a confidence-inspiring framework is needed or the voices of conspiracy will quickly dominate, doing great potential harm to science and international harmony.”

Institutions which held the emails have repeatedly resisted efforts to publish their content.

The University of Edinburgh recently turned down an Freedom of Information request from The Telegraph asking to see Prof Rambaut’s replies, claiming “disclosure would be likely to endanger the physical or mental health and safety of individuals”.

James Comer, the Republican congressman who secured the unredacted emails, said it showed that experts like Dr Fauci had taken the Wuhan lab leak theory “much more seriously” than they had let on.

Sir Jeremy has been approached for comment but had not replied at the time of publication.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...d-covid-leaked-wuhan-lab-feared-debate-could/

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.planet-today.com/2022/01/we-failed-danish-newspaper-apologizes.html?m=1

WE HAVE STARED at the oscillations of the number pendulum when it came to infected, hospitalized and died with corona. And we have been given the significance of the pendulum's smallest movements laid out by experts, politicians and authorities, who have constantly warned us about the dormant corona monster under our beds. A monster just waiting for us to fall asleep so it can strike in the gloom and darkness of the night.
THE CONSTANT mental alertness has worn out tremendously on all of us. That is why we - the press - must also take stock of our own efforts. And we have failed.

WE HAVE NOT been vigilant enough at the garden gate when the authorities were required to answer what it actually meant that people are hospitalized with corona and not because of corona. Because it makes a difference. A big difference. Exactly, the official hospitalization numbers have been shown to be 27 percent higher than the actual figure for how many there are in the hospital, simply because they have corona. We only know that now.
OF COURSE, it is first and foremost the authorities who are responsible for informing the population correctly, accurately and honestly. The figures for how many are sick and died of corona should, for obvious reasons, have been published long ago, so we got the clearest picture of the monster under the bed.
IN ALL, the messages of the authorities and politicians to the people in this historic crisis leave much to be desired. And therefore they lie as they have ridden when parts of the population lose confidence in them.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
After hearing from 'science' for two years now, you've got alot of people that realize that science in action is full of well-meaning people trying their best, but also that the information they're presenting is their best educated guess at that moment, and that's it. It's not evil or nefarious (aside from Fauci and Collins seeking to actively discredit other scientists) generally, but it's understood that they don't necessarily know.

When you feed people line after line, contradict your own guidelines multiple times, you're going to lose the implicit trust in the science. This has caused far, far more harm than any podcast ever will.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/d...ul-covid-19-claims/ar-AASML1W?ocid=entnewsntp

In an open letter published Monday, more than 270 medical professionals urge Spotify to stop “enabling its hosted media to damage public trust in scientific research and sow doubt in the credibility of data-driven guidance.” Rogan, whose show reaches an estimated audience of 11 million people an episode, has repeatedly downplayed the need for coronavirus vaccines and used his platform to flirt with misinformation about covid-19.

“Though Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform, the company presently has no misinformation policy,” the group wrote in the letter, which was first reported by Rolling Stone this week. “Throughout the covid-19 pandemic, Joe Rogan has repeatedly spread misleading and false claims on his podcast, provoking distrust in science and medicine.”

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
After hearing from 'science' for two years now, you've got alot of people that realize that science in action is full of well-meaning people trying their best, but also that the information they're presenting is their best educated guess at that moment, and that's it. It's not evil or nefarious (aside from Fauci and Collins seeking to actively discredit other scientists) generally, but it's understood that they don't necessarily know.

When you feed people line after line, contradict your own guidelines multiple times, you're going to lose the implicit trust in the science. This has caused far, far more harm than any podcast ever will.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/d...ul-covid-19-claims/ar-AASML1W?ocid=entnewsntp

In an open letter published Monday, more than 270 medical professionals urge Spotify to stop “enabling its hosted media to damage public trust in scientific research and sow doubt in the credibility of data-driven guidance.” Rogan, whose show reaches an estimated audience of 11 million people an episode, has repeatedly downplayed the need for coronavirus vaccines and used his platform to flirt with misinformation about covid-19.

“Though Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform, the company presently has no misinformation policy,” the group wrote in the letter, which was first reported by Rolling Stone this week. “Throughout the covid-19 pandemic, Joe Rogan has repeatedly spread misleading and false claims on his podcast, provoking distrust in science and medicine.”
I don't agree with taking him off, but his show has been a parade of the misinformation and vaccine distrust luminaries. People still pushing HCQ, pushing IVM, saying it's a "mass psychosis", misrepresenting or outright lying about VAERS data, etc. So, in that sense, they aren't wrong. Rogan has always been into fringe "science" and conspiracy theories of many stripes, so that's not surprising.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I don't agree with taking him off, but his show has been a parade of the misinformation and vaccine distrust luminaries. People still pushing HCQ, pushing IVM, saying it's a "mass psychosis", misrepresenting or outright lying about VAERS data, etc. So, in that sense, they aren't wrong. Rogan has always been into fringe "science" and conspiracy theories of many stripes, so that's not surprising.
Just did a case with an Anesthesiologist yesterday saying she didn't understand why IVM hasn't been looked into further. Her words, but she says there's enough there to look into it further. Work weekly with a Neurosurgeon who says the same exact thing.

I don't pretend to know one way or the other, but Fauci and Collins' known takedown of dissenting voices is definitely of interest to me. When we knew so little, why was there a need for a smear campaign of other scientists suggesting other options?

Glad you agree on not taking him off. I do find it rich that a group that's obviously been offering their best educated guess is triggered enough to want to completely shut down dissenting opinions. It'd be interesting to see what would happen on both sides of the aisle if we cared so much about 'misinformation' when it came to our elected officials.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Just did a case with an Anesthesiologist yesterday saying she didn't understand why IVM hasn't been looked into further. Her words, but she says there's enough there to look into it further. Work weekly with a Neurosurgeon who says the same exact thing.

I don't pretend to know one way or the other, but Fauci and Collins' known takedown of dissenting voices is definitely of interest to me. When we knew so little, why was there a need for a smear campaign of other scientists suggesting other options?

Glad you agree on not taking him off. I do find it rich that a group that's obviously been offering their best educated guess is triggered enough to want to completely shut down dissenting opinions. It'd be interesting to see what would happen on both sides of the aisle if we cared so much about 'misinformation' when it came to our elected officials.
Just as an example, there are at least 85 active clinical trials on IVM for COVID listed on clinicaltrials.gov. I got that just from a quick and simple search and that's only among registered trials. There are now dozens of clinical trials with published data showing mixed results. The most you could argue is that there should be more investment, but with mixed results it's hard to argue it should be a high priority. Saying or intimating that it's not being looked at is either misinderstanding or misleading. Plus, even if NIH or a pharmaceutical company invested heavily in a trail, we're now at a point where the IVM proponents would only believe positive results and any negative results would be waved away because of the funding source. I give Joe credit for bringing on people who disagree with him, but he definitely has a lot of guests from the misinformation crowd with whom he very often clearly agrees with.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Just as an example, there are at least 85 active clinical trials on IVM for COVID listed on clinicaltrials.gov. I got that just from a quick and simple search and that's only among registered trials. There are now dozens of clinical trials with published data showing mixed results. The most you could argue is that there should be more investment, but with mixed results it's hard to argue it should be a high priority. Saying or intimating that it's not being looked at is either misinderstanding or misleading. Plus, even if NIH or a pharmaceutical company invested heavily in a trail, we're now at a point where the IVM proponents would only believe positive results and any negative results would be waved away because of the funding source. I give Joe credit for bringing on people who disagree with him, but he definitely has a lot of guests from the misinformation crowd with whom he very often clearly agrees with.
Yes, there are trials now. My point was that we know there was an active smear campaign of alternative points of view at a point when we still didn't know much about the virus. That's troubling, and has obviously eroded the credibility of the guy who's been the leading voice advising 2 administrations on how to handle this.

We will always have a misinformation crowd on any issue, but you can definitely argue that they've been given plenty of reasons to give a side-eye to anything Fauci says at this point.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
There’s been a rumbling among smokers for awhile now and they’re sharing their experiences so much that it was investigated. I don’t smoke anymore but I still enjoy Oklahoma’s fruit. As soon as I tested positive, we put it to the test. Out of 8 of us, I was the only one that didn’t need to go to the doctor nor need steroids nor need antibiotics. There’s a million different factors and I’m open to the idea that it’s a placebo effect. If I were to try that with a normal cold or flu, the pain from the smoke would be off the charts and it would exacerbate the conditions and duration. Completely backwards. Or maybe Covid just doesn’t enjoy a good mellow. And yes, this is our federal government site.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35007072/

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Yes, there are trials now. My point was that we know there was an active smear campaign of alternative points of view at a point when we still didn't know much about the virus. That's troubling, and has obviously eroded the credibility of the guy who's been the leading voice advising 2 administrations on how to handle this.

We will always have a misinformation crowd on any issue, but you can definitely argue that they've been given plenty of reasons to give a side-eye to anything Fauci says at this point.
None of that negates that Joe Rogan routinely brings on guests who spread misinformation and Joe often does himself. Your original response to that was that an anesthesiologist said IVM should be looked into, which at a minimum suggests that it isn't. Since we can agree that's not accurate, the anesthesiologist is spreading misinformation. Just because you view a public official with heavy skepticism, that doesn't give you license to spread misinformation, especially if you have to tools to avoid it. If anything, you have a responsibility to do better not worse or the same in the opposite direction.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
According to the hospital I work with/at, the vaccines still provide us the best protection from being hospitalized. This is/was the primary reason to get the shot, not to keep from getting the virus but by the vaccine teaching our bodies how to deal with it when we do get it. IMHO, we are ALL going to get OR have already had it at some point...IMHO, the likelihood of you being hospitalized with the vaccine is very low.

As of last Monday, we had 109 in patients with Covid, of those only 21 had the vaccine...of the 13 in ICU NONE of them had the vaccine. It is what it is, but it appears to me that the vaccine works. The number will be updated on Monday, but in our hospital, I've yet to see a reported case of someone in our ICU with the vaccine...I'm sure it's happened, but I've not seen it reported in our hospital anyway.

Does ok weed help...does Xanax help...does ivermectin help...do vitamins help? All may help, but I don't think we have a study that shows they help nearly as much as the vaccine in keeping people out of the hospital. Which has always been our goal, to keep the burden on our healthcare system low thus preventing death by covid and other things.

I do not believe in forced vaccination, but my message hasn't changed...go get your shot and stay out of the hospital...IF we get the virus fight the symptoms with known things that work...Ask your doctor what those things are...But bottom line, if you are vaccinated you don't have to stress nearly as much as someone who is not, because your covid experience (IMHO, we are all going to have or have had one) will be much more mild. It is what it is. At some point we are going to need to start treating covid like all the other things we deal with in health care...I'm hopeful that point is coming right after this current wave of Omicron.

Last edited: