Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
More I take it as...we often think about COVID issues and the issues surrounding it here in the US as a Republican Vs Democrat thing.

The reality is. The whole world is going through it right now and experiencing alot of the same reactions etc we see in the US......we blame it on D and R in our country but just dismiss it in others.

Hence..long story short...all this stuff surrounding COVID and peoples response and actions....Many times isn't a D or R thing.....it is just a human thing
Totally agree…it’s apolitical and I abhore our “news” (hype and sensationalism) media for making it political.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1481660437099917313

Of the 1,222 patients, 299 were fully vaccinated — a number Vanderbilt’s Edwards called “distressing” in her editorial.
“Although these rates have increased somewhat since the data in this study were compiled, as of December 1, 2021, only 60% of U.S. adolescents had received a single dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, and only 50% had been fully vaccinated,” she writes. “Vigorous efforts must be expended to improve vaccination coverage among all children and especially among those at highest risk for severe covid-19.”
Forty percent of the patients with a positive coronavirus rest result were admitted to the ICU. All but two were unvaccinated. And all but one of those who required life-supporting interventions, such as being put on a ventilator, were unvaccinated.
Kinda seems like vaccines work…who da thunk it…✌️

Sep 12, 2008
"Most Americans disapprove of President Joe Biden’s handling of the coronavirus, a Quinnipiac University Poll released Wednesday found.

The survey asked respondents, “Do you approve or disapprove of the way Joe Biden is handling – the response to the coronavirus?” Notably, the coronavirus stood as one of Biden’s leading issues heading into the 2020 presidential election.

However, the survey found a majority, 55 percent, disapproving of his handling of the pandemic, compared to 39 percent who approve of his handling. A majority of both Republicans (91 percent) and independents (55 percent) disapprove of his handling of the issue, but 73 percent of Democrats approve. "

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
IF you are traveling nationally, you should be fine, at least at this point in time...also many "experts" are expecting this to wane quite quickly, and my hope is that "they" (politicians in power positions) will respond without political motivation when the numbers do wane on hospitalizations and deaths...cases are what they are...hospitalizations and death has always been what we are trying to prevent. SO... unless you are a traveling to a country that requires it, you SHOULD be able to swing it...If I were you, and I am in terms of being a traveler, I would do everything in my power to make it happen (i.e. the trip). In the face of whatever obstacles may be thrown at you. IF one political side or the other really wants to see what freedom loving Americans will do to their party at election time...then they need to impose further travel restrictions in some weird attempt (against all logic) to lock society down again and further restrict travel for long periods of time. WE have to move on to treating this like any other illness very very soon. At what point do we treat this as endemic rather than pandemic? That's what we need answers on very soon (like middle of February soon). Also, where in the heck do you live that they won't allow your son to go to school due to his vaccination status when his doctor will put in writing that he should not take it??? Seriously bad Form if that is the case and they cannot make exceptions.
He's at PC North. He's being held out due to exposure. The time is extended due to vaccine status. It's not long enough to kick up a fuss.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Oklahoma reports more than 10,500 new COVID-19 cases, 53 additional deaths

The Oklahoma State Department of Health on Thursday reported 10,502 new COVID-19 cases across the state, bringing the total cumulative number of the state’s positive cases to 785,671.

According to the health department, Thursday’s seven-day rolling average for the number of new cases reported is 7,788.

WOW!

Sep 12, 2008
SCOTUS strikes down OSHA mandate, upholds another mandate.

The Supreme Court has stopped the Biden administration from enforcing a requirement that employees at large businesses be vaccinated against COVID-19 or undergo weekly testing and wear a mask on the job.

At the same time, the court is allowing the administration to proceed with a vaccine mandate for most health care workers in the U.S.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-court-halts-covid-19-193050385.html

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
In what way would it serve the Dem's politically to shut down the public? I agree that the shutdowns and forced compliance with vaccinations aren't working...however I do believe in the vaccines because they still limit the severity of the illness. However, it seems apparent to me that we are just going to all get this one way or another if we haven't already had it...and maybe even a second time if we already have...even if we are vaccinated. The argument for the vaccine was never to prevent infection 100% but to kickstart your defenses if you contracted it. Once again, I agree that the government can do little with mitigation tactics in a freedom loving society...they can however do what trump did and speed up processes to get medications to market in order to reduce the effect of the virus on public policy and to keep us moving forward as a society worldwide. Governments that restrict rather than advance science in order to beat this thing are my biggest beef...right or wrong...as a freedom loving person. However, I can forgive their error and direction in a time of utter confusion in how to deal with a pandemic. It's been confusing and sad, I've lost friends and acquaintances, lost a brother-in-law this year, not to covid, but in covid times. We are all in the same boat, let's attempt to be maybe a little less political about an apolitical topic. Biden or Trump before him, haven't stopped this thing...politics won't stop it, only unity of purpose will, which we have an, understandably, hard time achieving with our divisive "press."
The ends of the political spectrum have this problem in that they need the opposing party to be super evil masterminds who want to thwart free will and democracy - while also at the same time being stupid, incompetent blithering idiots who can't chew gum and walk at the same time.

They usually apply whichever façade suits the particular argument they are making at the moment.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
SCOTUS strikes down OSHA mandate, upholds another mandate.

The Supreme Court has stopped the Biden administration from enforcing a requirement that employees at large businesses be vaccinated against COVID-19 or undergo weekly testing and wear a mask on the job.

At the same time, the court is allowing the administration to proceed with a vaccine mandate for most health care workers in the U.S.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-court-halts-covid-19-193050385.html
No surprise there. I'm probably in the minority for this board, but I'm glad the healthcare one stuck.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
https://www.saintfrancis.com/alerts/covid-19-data

Decent data out from St. Francis Tulsa from Monday the 10th...I had stopped looking over the past several months but this is pretty good and unbiased information on local Tulsa hospitalizations I believe. St Francis data still indicates that the best way to avoid the hospital "appears" to be the vaccine. According to this data 86% of their hospitalizations are completely unvaccinated.

This appears to be the current Hillcrest information although their dates are wrong on the page, says updated weekly yet has a 1/10/2021 date which is suppose to be 1/10/2022 I believe, so take this with a grain of salt...however it seems to line up pretty well with St. Francis current data in terms of load each hospital takes on.
Number hospitalized
% Unvaccinated
81%
Hillcrest COVID Report

I assume the unvaccinated number continues to be those who never had a first shot at all...but I'm not certain on that. These seem lower numbers than during the Delta spike at this point...they may go up over the next few weeks and then hopefully drop. Still appears that it's the biggest problem for the unvaccinated...not sure why, but it appears that is the case...I would have thought all those people had already been infected at least once, so it's strange to me, as I would think they would have some natural immunity from previous infection? Interesting stuff going on.
I get what they are trying to say - but this graphic needs to be amended ASAP. Green text represents vaccinated on the left and unvaccinated on the right. That, or either change the wording to say "13 in the ICU" then "0 Unvaccinated in the ICU".

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I get what they are trying to say - but this graphic needs to be amended ASAP. Green text represents vaccinated on the left and unvaccinated on the right. That, or either change the wording to say "13 in the ICU" then "0 Unvaccinated in the ICU".
I get it, you are likely right. Maybe it should say 13 in the ICU, and all 13 unvaccinated as well? is that what you are driving at? The point is that the vaccine seems to help one stay out of the hospital and almost 100% out of the ICU with covid and even this variant. Those who say you still catch it with the vaccine aren't getting the message because not getting it was never the promise of the vaccine in the first place...it just lessons the severity and teaches your body how to react, faster and better, if you do contract it.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Unless somehow somebody comes up with a way to 100% kill the virus, people will continue dying from it. Just like with the flu. So if that's one of your measures as to getting back to normal, then I guess we'll never get there.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
He clearly means a threshold for the amount of deaths, not a black and white argument here. I think most of us see the 1,700 daily deaths we currently have as too many and haven't been under 1000 daily deaths since September. You again use the flu comparison. Even averaging just 1000 daily deaths over a year is about 4 times our worst flu seasons. If we can cut those deaths to 1/4 of their current level, things probably would be mostly back to normal.
As with hospitalizations though, are they all dying of covid, or is there a delineation now of those who just die with covid.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://www.saintfrancis.com/alerts/covid-19-data

Decent data out from St. Francis Tulsa from Monday the 10th...I had stopped looking over the past several months but this is pretty good and unbiased information on local Tulsa hospitalizations I believe. St Francis data still indicates that the best way to avoid the hospital "appears" to be the vaccine. According to this data 86% of their hospitalizations are completely unvaccinated.

This appears to be the current Hillcrest information although their dates are wrong on the page, says updated weekly yet has a 1/10/2021 date which is suppose to be 1/10/2022 I believe, so take this with a grain of salt...however it seems to line up pretty well with St. Francis current data in terms of load each hospital takes on.
Number hospitalized
% Unvaccinated
81%
Hillcrest COVID Report

I assume the unvaccinated number continues to be those who never had a first shot at all...but I'm not certain on that. These seem lower numbers than during the Delta spike at this point...they may go up over the next few weeks and then hopefully drop. Still appears that it's the biggest problem for the unvaccinated...not sure why, but it appears that is the case...I would have thought all those people had already been infected at least once, so it's strange to me, as I would think they would have some natural immunity from previous infection? Interesting stuff going on.
If like Stillwater, then unvaccinated means *per cdc guidelines*. Which means that if they are of age for a booster but don't have it, they are considered not fully vaccinated.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If like Stillwater, then unvaccinated means *per cdc guidelines*. Which means that if they are of age for a booster but don't have it, they are considered not fully vaccinated.

I don't think that is the case...I think they are still using the old, no vaccine at all in this graphic. I seriously doubt anyone with all three shots is even in the hospital in Tulsa...maybe a few, but I doubt that. Point being, even if one has been on the fence for a long time...get the vaccine, it will most likely keep you totally out of the hospital when you catch Omicron. I say when because it seems that everyone will or already has...and doesn't know.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
As with hospitalizations though, are they all dying of covid, or is there a delineation now of those who just die with covid.

This has been explained a lot on here, but one more brief overview. Yes. Doctors listing COVID 19 as a cause of death and reporting it risk charges of fraud and losing their license if it isn't. As has been the case from the beginning, if anything, deaths are undercounted. Likely less so now than before, but still.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
He's at PC North. He's being held out due to exposure. The time is extended due to vaccine status. It's not long enough to kick up a fuss.
I understand...but everyone is exposed right now..I'm assuming that the school likely has a lot of teachers out with omicron right now. Hopefully this will wane fast. God help us if it doesn't.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
This has been explained a lot on here, but one more brief overview. Yes. Doctors listing COVID 19 as a cause of death and reporting it risk charges of fraud and losing their license if it isn't. As has been the case from the beginning, if anything, deaths are undercounted. Likely less so now than before, but still.
Cases are for sure undercounted because we don't test that much in Oklahoma compared to NYC or other places where they IMHO "over" test...but cases don't really matter at this point unless we get immunity from them...however, deaths do and hospitalizations do...cases are a positive case for immunity if they are mild. That is the hope we can look for right now...that infections will be mild on the massive case load numbers and that hospitalizations aren't required for many of them at all. Still a crazy time, but I don't think it's avoidable at this time...get the vaccine, take your zinc and D, use anti virals, treat symptoms fast...are about the best things we can do to prevent then treat if needed (treatment). Hopefully treatment won't be needed, but likely it will at least at some level.