Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
Bill Gates speaks about the vaccines..

"The vaccines we have prevent severe disease and death very well but they are missing two key things," Gates said to a question about what would make the biggest difference in ending the pandemic.

"First they still allow infections ('breakthrough') and the duration appears to be limited. We need vaccines that prevent re-infection and have many years of duration.""

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If you’re referring to those afraid to leave their home and function in public for fear of dying then you’re correct. Also, if you’re referring to those who refused to acknowledge the hospitalizations and deaths were centered in elderly and anyone with pre-existing health conditions, including obesity, then you’re correct.
Why did you make that post something it wasn't? We all want to move on with our lives and people have a different amount of comfort about doing so...International and national law restricts us from movement, I'm looking forward to the day when it no longer does, but am losing hope that it ever will...This was the basis of my question...His answer gives me some hope in that he does describe the variant as being less powerful but more contagious...What I'm looking for is something I'd need to ask a virologist rather than a doctor. How long will this last, when will government no longer have arguments to enforce things like lockdowns and travel restrictions, when will people stop dying from it? Those are the questions we want true answers from, not political answers...neither those who are overconfident nor those who are more pessimistic...but the real truth that is so hard to come by these days. I asked him because I respect his opinion, even though it's often different than mine, I respect his work on the front lines so to me that gives him some street cred. I'm pleased he didn't give a timeline because he/me/you don't know it. I wish we knew; it just seems we may not...I'm also hopeful it's quick and over soon...We are all growing impatient with this virus and want to completely move on.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I’m not trying to make any political points whatsoever, quite the opposite. Biden and his minions have politicized this from day 1 of his administration and he’s successfully pushed it out to the public, and concurrently thrown the use of reason, common sense, and yes SCIENCE out the window. It’s now clear trying to shut down the economy of each state by mask and quarantine mandates didn’t work like they thought, yet to this day they keep trying the same failures.
In what way would it serve the Dem's politically to shut down the public? I agree that the shutdowns and forced compliance with vaccinations aren't working...however I do believe in the vaccines because they still limit the severity of the illness. However, it seems apparent to me that we are just going to all get this one way or another if we haven't already had it...and maybe even a second time if we already have...even if we are vaccinated. The argument for the vaccine was never to prevent infection 100% but to kickstart your defenses if you contracted it. Once again, I agree that the government can do little with mitigation tactics in a freedom loving society...they can however do what trump did and speed up processes to get medications to market in order to reduce the effect of the virus on public policy and to keep us moving forward as a society worldwide. Governments that restrict rather than advance science in order to beat this thing are my biggest beef...right or wrong...as a freedom loving person. However, I can forgive their error and direction in a time of utter confusion in how to deal with a pandemic. It's been confusing and sad, I've lost friends and acquaintances, lost a brother-in-law this year, not to covid, but in covid times. We are all in the same boat, let's attempt to be maybe a little less political about an apolitical topic. Biden or Trump before him, haven't stopped this thing...politics won't stop it, only unity of purpose will, which we have an, understandably, hard time achieving with our divisive "press."

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
My son has juvenile arthritis. Seems to be responding to the treatment well, although it cramped his style on his baseball. It is kind of a bummer because with all the insecurities a young kid has, who wants to be the kid limping around the halls in high school? His Dr. recommended him to not get vaccinated as she said a majority of her patients on this medication who got the vaccine got myocarditis.

We were hoping to take a big trip this spring but I'm afraid the politicians will say he can't fly unless he is vaccinated, and he is currently being held out of school due to his vaccine status. I'm still going to listen to the Dr. over the politicians. It makes me mad that someone who has been vaccinated, and wearing a mask thinks my son, who also has natural immunity from having the vid, is such a threat to them.

This attitude of vaccine good, any other considerations bad is really not healthy for society as a whole. Forcing a kid to take a health risk to make adults feel safer is pretty low.
IF you are traveling nationally, you should be fine, at least at this point in time...also many "experts" are expecting this to wane quite quickly, and my hope is that "they" (politicians in power positions) will respond without political motivation when the numbers do wane on hospitalizations and deaths...cases are what they are...hospitalizations and death has always been what we are trying to prevent. SO... unless you are a traveling to a country that requires it, you SHOULD be able to swing it...If I were you, and I am in terms of being a traveler, I would do everything in my power to make it happen (i.e. the trip). In the face of whatever obstacles may be thrown at you. IF one political side or the other really wants to see what freedom loving Americans will do to their party at election time...then they need to impose further travel restrictions in some weird attempt (against all logic) to lock society down again and further restrict travel for long periods of time. WE have to move on to treating this like any other illness very very soon. At what point do we treat this as endemic rather than pandemic? That's what we need answers on very soon (like middle of February soon). Also, where in the heck do you live that they won't allow your son to go to school due to his vaccination status when his doctor will put in writing that he should not take it??? Seriously bad Form if that is the case and they cannot make exceptions.

Last edited:

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
Tested positive today. 40 years old. First time I've had it. Had my shots in April but didn't get booster. Today is my first day of symptoms. Just sinus infection-like right now. No fever. A tad achy.
I'm 42 (and a little chubby) got my shots over the summer then the coof in DEC. I felt like I had a mild flu for a few days, but wasn't too bad. Hopefully you'll be the same.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We currently have 21 'COVID' patients as inpatients. 3 in ICU, none vented, 15 others not even on O2, 3 on O2. 19 admitted for something else altogether, then tested and positive for COVID.

The vaccines clearly work to minimize its' effects, and counting hospitilizations makes as much sense as counting cases at this point.
That seems really good, and IMHO its FAR FAR better indication than counting cases...Hospitalizations are what we are trying to prevent in order to not overwhelm the healthcare system... depending on where is "we" your news sounds VERY good. In what city do you work and how does that compare in your hospital to past time periods of the pandemic? I.e. last August at Delta spike and February 2021 at Alpha spike?

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If you’re referring to those afraid to leave their home and function in public for fear of dying then you’re correct. Also, if you’re referring to those who refused to acknowledge the hospitalizations and deaths were centered in elderly and anyone with pre-existing health conditions, including obesity, then you’re correct.
Why did you make that post something it wasn't? We all want to move on with our lives and people have a different amount of comfort about doing so...International and national law restricts us from movement, I'm looking forward to the day when it no longer does, but am losing hope that it ever will...This was the basis of my question...His answer gives me some hope in that he does describe the variant as being less powerful but more contagious...What I'm looking for is something I'd need to ask a virologist rather than a doctor. How long will this last, when will government no longer have arguments to enforce things like lockdowns and travel restrictions, when will people stop dying from it? Those are the questions we want true answers from, not political answers...neither those who are overconfident nor those who are more pessimistic...but the real truth that is so hard to come by these days. I asked him because I respect his opinion, even though it's often different than mine, I respect his work on the front lines so to me that gives him some street cred. I'm pleased he didn't give a timeline because he/me/you don't know it. I wish we knew; it just seems we may not...I'm also hopeful it's quick and over soon...We are all growing impatient with this virus and want to completely move on.
Unless somehow somebody comes up with a way to 100% kill the virus, people will continue dying from it. Just like with the flu. So if that's one of your measures as to getting back to normal, then I guess we'll never get there.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
That seems really good, and IMHO its FAR FAR better indication than counting cases...Hospitalizations are what we are trying to prevent in order to not overwhelm the healthcare system... depending on where is "we" your news sounds VERY good. In what city do you work and how does that compare in your hospital to past time periods of the pandemic? I.e. last August at Delta spike and February 2021 at Alpha spike?
I think he's saying the opposite of what you're wanting. He's saying you can't use hospitalizations as a strong indicator anymore because of so many incidental findings of COVID during hospitalization for something else. At least that's how I took it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think he's saying the opposite of what you're wanting. He's saying you can't use hospitalizations as a strong indicator anymore because of so many incidental findings of COVID during hospitalization for something else. At least that's how I took it.
No, I understand that, but my question remains to him...Is that up or down in comparison to the past at his hospital?...At mine in Tulsa that would be WAY down in comparison to past spikes...even if the numbers are inflated in terms of labeling this and that covid. We are actually not as sever as last wave here in Tulsa area hospitals despite what he's saying (i.e. he's saying, covid isn't always the reason someone is in patient but they have that label on them anyway). I'm wanting to know if that's the case there as well.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Unless somehow somebody comes up with a way to 100% kill the virus, people will continue dying from it. Just like with the flu. So if that's one of your measures as to getting back to normal, then I guess we'll never get there.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
He clearly means a threshold for the amount of deaths, not a black and white argument here. I think most of us see the 1,700 daily deaths we currently have as too many and haven't been under 1000 daily deaths since September. You again use the flu comparison. Even averaging just 1000 daily deaths over a year is about 4 times our worst flu seasons. If we can cut those deaths to 1/4 of their current level, things probably would be mostly back to normal.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
https://www.saintfrancis.com/alerts/covid-19-data

Decent data out from St. Francis Tulsa from Monday the 10th...I had stopped looking over the past several months but this is pretty good and unbiased information on local Tulsa hospitalizations I believe. St Francis data still indicates that the best way to avoid the hospital "appears" to be the vaccine. According to this data 86% of their hospitalizations are completely unvaccinated.

This appears to be the current Hillcrest information although their dates are wrong on the page, says updated weekly yet has a 1/10/2021 date which is suppose to be 1/10/2022 I believe, so take this with a grain of salt...however it seems to line up pretty well with St. Francis current data in terms of load each hospital takes on.
Number hospitalized
% Unvaccinated
81%
Hillcrest COVID Report

I assume the unvaccinated number continues to be those who never had a first shot at all...but I'm not certain on that. These seem lower numbers than during the Delta spike at this point...they may go up over the next few weeks and then hopefully drop. Still appears that it's the biggest problem for the unvaccinated...not sure why, but it appears that is the case...I would have thought all those people had already been infected at least once, so it's strange to me, as I would think they would have some natural immunity from previous infection? Interesting stuff going on.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1481660437099917313

Of the 1,222 patients, 299 were fully vaccinated — a number Vanderbilt’s Edwards called “distressing” in her editorial.
“Although these rates have increased somewhat since the data in this study were compiled, as of December 1, 2021, only 60% of U.S. adolescents had received a single dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, and only 50% had been fully vaccinated,” she writes. “Vigorous efforts must be expended to improve vaccination coverage among all children and especially among those at highest risk for severe covid-19.”
Forty percent of the patients with a positive coronavirus rest result were admitted to the ICU. All but two were unvaccinated. And all but one of those who required life-supporting interventions, such as being put on a ventilator, were unvaccinated.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So they are protesting Covid virus handling by Covid virus handling? Point being are they shutting down the school over shutting down the schools??? IF so that's a new level of stupid.
More I take it as...we often think about COVID issues and the issues surrounding it here in the US as a Republican Vs Democrat thing.

The reality is. The whole world is going through it right now and experiencing alot of the same reactions etc we see in the US......we blame it on D and R in our country but just dismiss it in others.

Hence..long story short...all this stuff surrounding COVID and peoples response and actions....Many times isn't a D or R thing.....it is just a human thing

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
More I take it as...we often think about COVID issues and the issues surrounding it here in the US as a Republican Vs Democrat thing.

The reality is. The whole world is going through it right now and experiencing alot of the same reactions etc we see in the US......we blame it on D and R in our country but just dismiss it in others.

Hence..long story short...all this stuff surrounding COVID and peoples response and actions....Many times isn't a D or R thing.....it is just a human thing
For this story specifically, I'd add that the situation is hard for teachers everywhere. Mitigation measures are frustrating, the constantly changing ways that you have to do your job are frustrating, and having cases explode in schools is frustrating. Those things are happening to various degrees everywhere in the world. When things like that happen though, we look for people to blame and often assume incorrectly that "if they'd just...it would all be better".