Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVdmww2F6hM/?utm_medium=share_sheet
In other words he’s telling out of state officers if you’re not happy at your current job move to Florida. Kind of like how Texas picks off Oklahoma teachers or how the OHP is hosting a training academy for out of state troopers. Metropolitan fire departments do it all the time. If you’re not happy working for Phoenix Fire, come to mesa and work. That’s actually pretty smart. Hire people who already have experience instead of training from the ground up.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
In other words he’s telling out of state officers if you’re not happy at your current job move to Florida. Kind of like how Texas picks off Oklahoma teachers or how the OHP is hosting a training academy for out of state troopers. Metropolitan fire departments do it all the time. If you’re not happy working for Phoenix Fire, come to mesa and work. That’s actually pretty smart. Hire people who already have experience instead of training from the ground up.
I hate to agree with you but you're right when looking at the announcement. Here's the actual announcement from August. They're just not requiring any vaccination status so it's being spun as "recruiting unvaxxed officers". Now, I don't doubt that Desantis would make a comment about vaccines but the actual announcement itself is just about cops not happy with how they're being treated where they are.

https://www.flgov.com/2021/08/17/go...-recruit-law-enforcement-officers-to-florida/

Nov 23, 2010
According to the dashboard, 20% of all hospitalizations are now in vaccinated people. About 3% or so are partially vaccinated and the other are fully vaccinated.
49.7% of the population is fully vaccinated.

Call it half the population is 20% of hospitalizations, half is responsible for 80%, which half would you like to take your chances in?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Has anyone gotten the Moderna booster yet? I'm not scheduled for mine yet, but should get it I guess since it's been since January since I got the 2nd shot.

Mar 11, 2006
Has anyone gotten the Moderna booster yet? I'm not scheduled for mine yet, but should get it I guess since it's been since January since I got the 2nd shot.
I got Moderna booster on Sunday from CVS. I have to admit they are very easy to work with.
Only very, very minor side-effect of feeling slightly hot overnight --- but it was minor and 2 Tylenol quickly stopped it.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
You know I am always open for conversation and it doesn't hurt my feelings one bit to be corrected.

Was it my "the vaccine is effective in lessening the symptoms of covid, it's clear now that it does not prevent you from getting covid" statement?

If so, I'll clarify... The vaccine is very effective at keeping you from possibly getting the virus, and if you do, it lessens the severity of the symptoms. But just like the flu vaccine, it's not a guarantee that a vaccinated person can't still acquire the virus.

I actually know quite a few vaccinated people that tested positive for covid this last big surge. All were 100% completely asymptomatic... but they still had covid.

Unless they were all false positives.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2108891#:~:text=In the “any vaccine” analysis,82.1) with the delta variant.

Read their definition of effectiveness. With the two vaccines, two doses, 75-94% effective. That means the subject remained free of infection. The vaccines clearly prevent the vast majority of people from being infected.

Who you know is irrelevant. It isn't data. You should know that. You sound like an anti-vaxxer.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Odd, I thought it was 805 yesterday. The front page of the OK Health website is showing 551 as of today.

View attachment 92712
The big drop in the 7 day average appears to be an anomaly. If you look at the new daily cases chart, you'll see that the weekend backlog typically gets cleared on Monday. It looks like it didn't get cleared until Tuesday this week, so it skewed the numbers. This will also likely cause a short lived spike next Monday as the 2 weekend backlogs factor into the same 7 day average. We saw something similar following the 3 day Labor Day weekend.

The reporting isn't perfect, but at least the numbers are steadily dropping.

1635347211637.png

Dec 9, 2013
Received mine Friday. Arm didn’t swell or hurt as much as 2nd shot but I did have the chills Friday night. Never ran a fever. Like Cable I took 2 Tylenol and within 30 minutes never thought about it again.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
At what point do extremely compromised people just stay home to reduce the risk of getting COVID? Also, not quite sure what to make of the statement that the CDC does not consider the 3rd shots as boosters. Does this go back to the idea that you are not fully vaccinated until you have a 3rd shot?

Some Americans may get 4th vaccine shot

Adults with pre-existing medical conditions who have already received the Moderna or Pfizer double vaccinations and a third shot will be able to get a fourth one, federal health officials say.

"People who are moderately and severely immunocompromised may receive a total of four COVID-19 vaccine doses," the Centers for Disease Control said in its guidelines updated Tuesday.

The CDC authorized a third dose for immunocompromised people 18 and older in August. The fourth shot should be received at least six months after the third, the CDC said. The CDC does not consider the third shots now being approved for Moderna and Pfizer vaccines as boosters.

Some medical conditions and treatments can make it difficult for immunocompromised people to build and retain immunity, resulting in the need for a fourth shot, the CDC says.

Mar 11, 2006
At what point do extremely compromised people just stay home to reduce the risk of getting COVID? Also, not quite sure what to make of the statement that the CDC does not consider the 3rd shots as boosters. Does this go back to the idea that you are not fully vaccinated until you have a 3rd shot?

Some Americans may get 4th vaccine shot

Adults with pre-existing medical conditions who have already received the Moderna or Pfizer double vaccinations and a third shot will be able to get a fourth one, federal health officials say.

"People who are moderately and severely immunocompromised may receive a total of four COVID-19 vaccine doses," the Centers for Disease Control said in its guidelines updated Tuesday.

The CDC authorized a third dose for immunocompromised people 18 and older in August. The fourth shot should be received at least six months after the third, the CDC said. The CDC does not consider the third shots now being approved for Moderna and Pfizer vaccines as boosters.

Some medical conditions and treatments can make it difficult for immunocompromised people to build and retain immunity, resulting in the need for a fourth shot, the CDC says.
I think the vaccine is what truly helps people with deficient immune systems to take a risk and get out of their home. Before the vaccine, it was very tough.
My 75-year old dad has been fighting multiple myeloma (same cancer Colin Powell had) for years. Due to chemo treatments, his doctor in March described his immune system as "basically it sucks".

He received a 3rd shot of Moderna in mid-August. His doctor informed him at the time that he may need another shot in early 2022. He still does not get out and around a lot, but the vaccine at least provides him confidence that his risk level is lower than COVID life prior to vaccine.