Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Ehhh... I can understand where someone would see it as moving the goalposts but if you've been vaccinated for 6+ months and you're no longer fully protected (since we know it wears off over time), it would make sense that the definition of "fully vaccinated" should refer more to what your current protection is, not how many shots you've gotten.
I'm still questioning why it's not a titer test... instead of "get another shot" before you are considered vaccinated?

I'm also very healthy. Already had covid the fall of 2020 and Pfizer vaccinated as of early September of this year. Buuuut... I reallykindasorta feel like I want to see a titer before I'll do the booster.

As of right now, today, I would elect not to get the booster if offered to me. Just not seeing the benefit, and I may never. But again, I'm way healthy, in the gym an hour every day, and have zero comorbidities/risk factors.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I'm still questioning why it's not a titer test... instead of "get another shot" before you are considered vaccinated?

I'm also very healthy. Already had covid the fall of 2020 and Pfizer vaccinated as of early September of this year. Buuuut... I reallykindasorta feel like I want to see a titer before I'll do the booster.

As of right now, today, I would elect not to get the booster if offered to me. Just not seeing the benefit, and I may never. But again, I'm way healthy, in the gym an hour every day, and have zero comorbidities/risk factors.
And I guess you won’t give it to anyone with comorbidities/risk factors?
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...kely-spread-covid-new-research-finds-n1280583

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

Because it's a whole lot easier to create a policy where if you've gotten a second dose or booster in the last six months, you're fully vaccinated. Your proposal would require someone to have a titer done every month or so after they exceed that six month threshold. You'd also likely overwhelm the labs doing those tests if you went that route because it would mean more blood draws than vaccines and blood draws require more training in most states than just giving a vaccine.

I get where you're coming from, but this really does seem like the most feasible option if we believe that protection typically fades six months after the second dose.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Because it's a whole lot easier to create a policy where if you've gotten a second dose or booster in the last six months, you're fully vaccinated. Your proposal would require someone to have a titer done every month or so after they exceed that six month threshold. You'd also likely overwhelm the labs doing those tests if you went that route because it would mean more blood draws than vaccines and blood draws require more training in most states than just giving a vaccine.

I get where you're coming from, but this really does seem like the most feasible option if we believe that protection typically fades six months after the second dose.
Isn't there some data out there that's saying those that had covid AND were vaccinated (hybrid immunity) may have immunity way longer than 6 months? Swore I read some articles that stated you could have adequate antibodies for possibly years.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City

Physicians are at this time most interested, as they should be, in clinical outcomes rather than measuring antibody levels to determine what action they suggest people take. At present we know too little about
our bodies defense mechanisms. What we do know is that it is a very complex system. At this point we clearly know in every study that the vaccine prevents need for hospitalization and it prevents death from this virus. .

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Physicians are at this time most interested, as they should be, in clinical outcomes rather than measuring antibody levels to determine what action they suggest people take. At present we know too little about
our bodies defense mechanisms. What we do know is that it is a very complex system. At this point we clearly know in every study that the vaccine prevents need for hospitalization and it prevents death from this virus. .
Don't disagree at all. The importance of the initial vaccine wasn't my question at all... I was questioning the booster... specifically the need for a booster in the "healthy" hybridized immunity population (which I assume is a rather large number).

Do we know by now that the average, or the majority, of that population only has immunity for ~6 months?

Dec 9, 2013
Don't disagree at all. The importance of the initial vaccine wasn't my question at all... I was questioning the booster... specifically the need for a booster in the "healthy" hybridized immunity population (which I assume is a rather large number).

Do we know by now that the average, or the majority, of that population only has immunity for ~6 months?
In certain respects isn’t the thought process similar to that of the flu vaccine? Each yr we have to get a flu shot. I think in part bc the flu virus changes. The flu is somewhat seasonal. And the vaccine efficacy wanes over time.

I guess I kind of think of this the same way. CoVid is changing. The antibodies wane. The exception is that covid doesn’t currently present as seasonal. So if I have to take a shot every 6 mos to stay out of the hospital, keep others from gettting CoVid from me and not burdening the healthcare workers I’ll gladly take one of my dr says it does those things. All 3 drs my wife and I see not only provided us w the info we needed to get the booster they also offered up they had already had their booster.

We have been handed a miracle thru science and technology. Is it by divine providence that a virus that has been around for who knows how long finally jumped to mankind at the precise time we have the technology to create, mass produce, inform and mass distribute a vaccine that is over 90% effective at prevention and even higher at preventing serious illness and death?

This is one reason I don’t get certain “people of religion” not taking the vaccine. If you are a person of faith how can you not look at what transpired and not see God’s hand in delivering mankind from this virus. If you are a person that marvels at science and technology how can you not be awestruck that we accomplished this.

If you have questions about the booster or antibodies, please do your research. That’s important. But it is not as important as consulting w that knowledge w your drs and healthcare providers. Please get w them before making any decision to take or not to take a booster or initial doses.

And no. Watching YouTube videos w the Gynecologist does not count.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Yes, the "do your own research" thing just amazes me. I have been involved in some studies. I tried (and failed) to set up some clinical research myself. I'm pretty sure @RxCowboy has done some. I will never say I do my own research at this level. But, I am trained to read and understand the research of others and am trained clinically. Watching Youtube is seeing advertising. For the most part, people posting youtube videos are doing it to advertise their practice or youtube/instagram/tik-tok. They aren't doing research either. The better ones go through actual research and point out good things and flaws. The others give opinions.
I do my own research, but have also taken the time to learn a good amount of medical terminology and a number of concepts. I am much stronger in some areas versus others. I only utilize peer reviewed journals, find them on pub med and get the full study through SciHub.

Then I pay a great deal of attention to study design, number of subjects and p values.

And in doing this I came to a similar conclusion as you and RX about covid and the vaccine. Unfortunately, most people who do their own research get their info from chain emails, right wing news blogs and as you mentioned youtube.

These methods are worlds apart and the conclusions are also.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Yes, the "do your own research" thing just amazes me. I have been involved in some studies. I tried (and failed) to set up some clinical research myself. I'm pretty sure @RxCowboy has done some. I will never say I do my own research at this level. But, I am trained to read and understand the research of others and am trained clinically. Watching Youtube is seeing advertising. For the most part, people posting youtube videos are doing it to advertise their practice or youtube/instagram/tik-tok. They aren't doing research either. The better ones go through actual research and point out good things and flaws. The others give opinions.
I do my own research, but have also taken the time to learn a good amount of medical terminology and a number of concepts. I am much stronger in some areas versus others. I only utilize peer reviewed journals, find them on pub med and get the full study through SciHub.

Then I pay a great deal of attention to study design, number of subjects and p values.

And in doing this I came to a similar conclusion as you and RX about covid and the vaccine. Unfortunately, most people who do their own research get their info from chain emails, right wing news blogs and as you mentioned youtube.

These methods are worlds apart and the conclusions are also.
I have learned a crapload of immunology and epidemiology during the pandemic. Enough so that I have a decent understanding of each for a pharmacist. But a good clinician knows what he doesn't know, and while my knowledge is certainly superior to any of the right wingnuts, I am still not an immunologist or epidemiologist.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
This is one reason I don’t get certain “people of religion” not taking the vaccine. If you are a person of faith how can you not look at what transpired and not see God’s hand in delivering mankind from this virus. If you are a person that marvels at science and technology how can you not be awestruck that we accomplished this.
I totally agree. Part of the problem is how people have conflated religion and politics. If someone has issues with the vaccine because of moral conflict with stem cell research, the emergency use authorization, or lack of long term studies… then why do they have no issue with monoclonal antibodies? Because conservative Republicans have stirred up doubts about the vaccine but are pushing for MAB (which is a great treatment but much more expensive and wouldn’t be as needed if we were vaccinated).

It’s a political objection, not a religious one, IMHO.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
I totally agree. Part of the problem is how people have conflated religion and politics. If someone has issues with the vaccine because of moral conflict with stem cell research, the emergency use authorization, or lack of long term studies… then why do they have no issue with monoclonal antibodies? Because conservative Republicans have stirred up doubts about the vaccine but are pushing for MAB (which is a great treatment but much more expensive and wouldn’t be as needed if we were vaccinated).

It’s a political objection, not a religious one, IMHO.
This is why I am no longer an Evangelical, the conflating of religion and politics.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We have been handed a miracle thru science and technology. Is it by divine providence that a virus that has been around for who knows how long finally jumped to mankind at the precise time we have the technology to create, mass produce, inform and mass distribute a vaccine that is over 90% effective at prevention and even higher at preventing serious illness and death?
You don't think the "jump to mankind" was facilitated by the experimental testing being done by science? It just happened to jump from animals to man at the same time and place n history where a lab was working with that virus?

Dec 9, 2013
You don't think the "jump to mankind" was facilitated by the experimental testing being done by science? It just happened to jump from animals to man at the same time and place n history where a lab was working with that virus?
Regardless if it jumped in nature or jumped in a lab the timing is all the same unless you think it was intentional and we would still have to answer the ideological question did God cause it to happen or allow it to happen. Which still goes back to the point that it happened at the same time in history that man had the knowledge to create, mass produce, mass inform and mass distribute a truly miraculous vaccine. This doesn’t even address the time period to work and learn from home. Or the ability to bank and commerce from our couch or toilet.

What if the virus had jumped 10 yrs ago? 20? 30? There would have been much more death and economic/social chaos.

Not every post has to have a political or conspiratorial bent.