Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Do you understand what "self-insured" means?

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask
Yes.

I am disappointed that you have decided to devolve to insults like this question and your Kruger-Dunning remark.
You mean devolve like your sarcasm about Sanders and data?

Mar 11, 2006
Yes.

I am disappointed that you have decided to devolve to insults like this question and your Kruger-Dunning remark.
Unfortunately, this is the internet and it takes all kinds. I just assume that there are some people when they feel challenged about their POV, respond with an attempted insult because it either helps them feel they are winning an argument (and for some that is important on an anonymous message board) or just provides a response when they don’t have one.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Yes.

Unfortunately, this is the internet and it takes all kinds. I just assume that there are some people when they feel challenged about their POV, respond with an attempted insult because it either helps them feel they are winning an argument (and for some that is important on an anonymous message board) or just provides a response when they don’t have one.
Maybe you can explain how his company is considering being self insured, but isn't yet, and yet he's concerned about his company's health care expenditures. Oh, and his non self insured is a good comparison to self insured companies.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I only post this because it's now twice you've flipped the names, and it's all I can think about:
Kruger was first-author on the paper. Here is the reference:
Kruger J, Dunning D. Unskilled and unaware of it: How difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1999;77:1121–1134.

Thus, for someone who has actually read the paper it is Kruger-Dunning.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
How this virus is tranmittted and how it kills people is extremely complex and difficult to understand by the very best minds who have spent their lives in this arena. It is unlikely that argument here will solve key issues regarding this virus.
I agree with this statement, yet in context it feels like an admonishment of some kind. I'm confused here. He seemed to agree and I was just adding some additional details. What am I missing?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
After 6 months you still have to get vaccinated, so why wait?

I'm not saying to wait. However, I do think it's better to grant some leniency with those who can prove natural antibodies (not sure how they'll do that) than to fire them.
They have to have a documented positive test.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
My in-laws have been down with breakthrough cases for two weeks now. Wife still has fatigue but other than that fine. Husband has no energy, has been bed ridden for most of the two weeks, and now has stomach issues. They both got vitamin drips early. I shutter to think what would have happened had they not been vaccinated.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
My in-laws have been down with breakthrough cases for two weeks now. Wife still has fatigue but other than that fine. Husband has no energy, has been bed ridden for most of the two weeks, and now has stomach issues. They both got vitamin drips early. I shutter to think what would have happened had they not been vaccinated.
I have a coworker who was vaccinated with J&J when it first came out. He and his wife both got covid two weeks ago as well, and they've struggled with minor flu-like symptoms for that time. Biggest symptom for them is fatigue. Crazy that they were hit that hard with it even though they were both vaxxed. Their kids are apparently symptom-free at this point.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I have a coworker who was vaccinated with J&J when it first came out. He and his wife both got covid two weeks ago as well, and they've struggled with minor flu-like symptoms for that time. Biggest symptom for them is fatigue. Crazy that they were hit that hard with it even though they were both vaxxed. Their kids are apparently symptom-free at this point.
Our kids stayed the night with them when they would have been contagious but right before they tested positive. We were there to drop them off and pick them up and, to our knowledge, none of of got it.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
We aren't paying for our company's health care costs? I wish the health insurance we pay for was completely free. I would have a suite at Boone Pickens.
Just curious, as a business owner being ravaged by the absurd cost of health care coverage in this country, are you in favor of a national health care system?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
We aren't paying for our company's health care costs? I wish the health insurance we pay for was completely free. I would have a suite at Boone Pickens.
Just curious, as a business owner being ravaged by the absurd cost of health care coverage in this country, are you in favor of a national health care system?
His company is only considering being ravaged by the skyrocketing costs of healthcare.

Sep 23, 2010
I guess it depends on how far we go and how well it's done. Prior to Obamacare, it was much more affordable and we did not have to offer it to our entry level, unskilled employees health insurance. We have so much turnover at the bottom just because that's the nature of those jobs. And those guys don't want it. This is the issue with government regulations sometimes. They give a one size fits all policy and not all businesses are the same. Our current government structures incentivizes us to keep our bottom people part time, but that won't work for what we do.

We do a scale of where we pay for a percentage to start, and then if they are with us for long enough, then we pay the full amount. When it became mandated, it hurt us with our labor force. Because believe it or not, many of them didn't want the health insurance, because they had to pay the small percent that was forced to come out of their check unless they could provide that they were getting coverage from elsewhere. Unfortunately, other companies in our industry in our area, were skirting the rules in other ways (mostly trying to count all their employees as their own subcontract labor). We play by the rules, and it costs us some good people and some bad people I guess.

As far as our insurance goes, we have more than just healthcare costs. We have high liability and work comp rates due to the nature of our work. So we pay a great deal. We have considered taking that money and putting it in fund, becoming self-insured in all 3 areas. It's something we visit with our insurance partner about. We just don't feel we have that type of capitol yet being as small as we are to cover something catastrophic. We have a great deal of equipment that is nearly paid off, and then we can give it greater consideration. We are a small business.

I'm not against National Health Care system if I had faith in the leaders running it. Most things government run are not run well. And the reality is, we will have to pay for it one way or the other. We pay for it how we do now, or our taxes will have to increase in order to pay for the national healthcare system. Nothing is free. From my first experience, our costs went up with government health care. My other concern for national healthcare system would be like moments we are in now. The government making more and more mandates and using healthcare as it's carrot. That would be dangerous as well. Our freedoms get limited the more government control you give. I generally believe in self-responsibility. It's one of the reasons I have spent another portion of my life coaching and doing youth activities to try and educate kids on the principles of being successful.