Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/g...cle_9bd3c36c-f609-11eb-97c4-9fbe4eff7c52.html

So, Dems want an emergency declaration to allow schools to mandate masks if they need and his response is:

Yeah, you freaking bonehead. A vaccine that a huge majority of kids (and entire elementaries) aren't even able to get yet because it hasn't been OK'd for under 12y... Jeez this guy is an idiot.
I think cities and towns should have right to impose ordinances of mask requirement. And districts should follow those regulations. I remain dubious of school district leadership based on past history. Stitt is being heavy-handed…my guess is response to fact many school districts abdicated their responsibility to teach students and some districts kept students remote for majority of school-year.

I can’t speak for all districts, but my assumption Is most Superintendents don’t want Stitt to repeal. They want to make academic decisions for their students and leave mask mandate decision to state and local governments. Superintendents and principals already get inundated from parents about their decisioning, why put another decision on them? All that will do is create two parent factions and one of them will be very upset at district leadership.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Remember though, circumstances are changing with the variants @cableok
I think cities and towns should have right to impose ordinances of mask requirement. And districts should follow those regulations. I remain dubious of school district leadership based on past history. Stitt is being heavy-handed…my guess is response to fact many school districts abdicated their responsibility to teach students and some districts kept students remote for majority of school-year.
These variants add untold numbers of new variables to an already very complicated problem

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK

I can’t speak for all districts, but my assumption Is most Superintendents don’t want Stitt to repeal. They want to make academic decisions for their students and leave mask mandate decision to state and local governments. Superintendents and principals already get inundated from parents about their decisioning, why put another decision on them? All that will do is create two parent factions and one of them will be very upset at district leadership.
I can understand why a super would rather not make that decision and leave it to state/local governments but I also don't think a super should be banned from making that decision for their district if they want to. If a superintendent would rather implement a district mask mandate to try and prevent having to deal with remote learning again, why shouldn't they be allowed that opportunity instead of having to rely on a decision of a local city council whose decision will impact ALL schools within their city limits? What about schools who's district boundaries cross city limits?

Jun 14, 2011
Delta will blow through the population well before winter. Based on hospitalizations and death stats I don't currently see the need for a booster.
Spoke with my finance guy last week about the data on the Delta variant as it relates to the world markets. The numbers he had were from India, so grain of salt, but this is a very large financial institution, so I trust the accuracy. Anyways, the information was that it was a 36 day uptick in cases and then 36 days to go back down. Basically, the Delta variant blew through in around 10 weeks and then case numbers were back down. Not gone, but reduced from the surge.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Spoke with my finance guy last week about the data on the Delta variant as it relates to the world markets. The numbers he had were from India, so grain of salt, but this is a very large financial institution, so I trust the accuracy. Anyways, the information was that it was a 36 day uptick in cases and then 36 days to go back down. Basically, the Delta variant blew through in around 10 weeks and then case numbers were back down. Not gone, but reduced from the surge.
that is going to be a VERY HARD 10 weeks. Not that the Delta variant is any deadlier...but I think the death toll will occur at a slightly higher rate than in the past...simply due to the speed of transmission and the rate of hospitalization in Unvaxxed people and a hospitalization rate in Vaxxed people with Delta. I think hospitals will/are getting blown up with Delta and I don't think they will be able to stand up to the volume of people who will be needing them and I think you will see the return (although briefly) of field hospitals around half way through this spike.

we are going to have a VERY large population get the Delta variant in a rather SHORT time which will crush medical infrastructure that is already stretched thin and exhausted.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Question for any of our resident docs. @RxCowboy @steross @OSUPsych and any others I might have missed: It seems to be universally accepted that Delta has a higher R0 value than the OG strain. I saw the original at somewhere between 1-3, with Delta being in the 7-9 range. Question 1) is this approximately accurate? Question 2) I've read several sites that says the most contagious diseases we've ever known hover around an R0 value of 11-13. Is there an upper limit on R0 values?
R0 just means the average number of people infected by a person with a disease. So, there is no mathematical limit to the number but of course, there is a real-world limit.
7-9 is the high end of the delta R0 estimates that I have seen and are probably more an estimate for a place like India than an average in the US (although some parts of the US could approach that).

Mar 11, 2006
I can understand why a super would rather not make that decision and leave it to state/local governments but I also don't think a super should be banned from making that decision for their district if they want to. If a superintendent would rather implement a district mask mandate to try and prevent having to deal with remote learning again, why shouldn't they be allowed that opportunity instead of having to rely on a decision of a local city council whose decision will impact ALL schools within their city limits? What about schools who's district boundaries cross city limits?
I would rather our governmental officials not issue regulations that are better left to local officials and certainly not issue rules that prohibit local officials from making decisions.

If Stitt’s order prohibits local city/town officials from issuing a mask mandate, then I disagree with that order. Maybe I misread, but I believe cities can still do that.

I agree, however, with taking the decision out of the hands of Superintendents. IMO, this helps them and take a very controversial and divisive decision out of their hands and allows them to focus on students. Superintendents would be in a no-win situation if another decision was placed on them (either teachers unions would feel Superintendents didn’t listen to them or the majority of parents feel that the Superintendent ignored them).

Schools that cross boundaries will need to follow the local government decisions…unless exempted.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I would rather our governmental officials not issue regulations that are better left to local officials and certainly not issue rules that prohibit local officials from making decisions.

If Stitt’s order prohibits local city/town officials from issuing a mask mandate, then I disagree with that order. Maybe I misread, but I believe cities can still do that.

I agree, however, with taking the decision out of the hands of Superintendents. IMO, this helps them and take a very controversial and divisive decision out of their hands and allows them to focus on students. Superintendents would be in a no-win situation if another decision was placed on them (either teachers unions would feel Superintendents didn’t listen to them or the majority of parents feel that the Superintendent ignored them).

Schools that cross boundaries will need to follow the local government decisions…unless exempted.
My understanding is that the order just prohibits school districts from being able to make the call but I will freely admit that I have not read the order myself. I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree with it. I guess it just comes down to how much autonomy people believe schools should be able to have. If they're autonomous enough to be able to decide that they need to go 100% virtual, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to make as simple of a decision as requiring masks, at the very least until vaccines are actually available to their students. Right now Grades K-6/7 are 100% unvaccinated since it's only been approved to 12 and older. I'm sure those parents feeling like they're being ignored would much rather send their kid to school with a mask every day over having their kid home every day doing virtual learning...

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Delta will blow through the population well before winter. Based on hospitalizations and death stats I don't currently see the need for a booster.
I feel that the priority should be getting everyone in the world that is not too ill or too delusional to accept it vaccinated. Then consider boosters starting with those who are most compromised.

The concept of countries hoarding vaccines for their populations and wasting doses because their citizens won't take it is the height of stupidity. The only way to stop more variants is to get the spread controlled and the only way to do that is to get the world vaccinated.

Think about it this way. If the virus was a space alien attack and we were watching the news and saw that the aliens were mostly in places like Mexico and Canada and while initially they did not understand our bullets, they are fighting hard and getting better at figuring out how to dodge bullets. As Americans, would we be smarter to keep guns for our conscientious objectors just in case or would we be better off sending some guns to Canada to kill as many aliens as possible right now?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Here is the actual text of the law:
SECTION 3. NEW LAW A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 1210.190 of Title 70, unless there is created a duplication in numbering, reads as follows: A. A board of education of a public school district or a technology center school district may only implement a mandate to wear a mask or any other medical device as provided in this subsection. 1. A board of education of a public school district or a technology center school district may only implement a mandate to wear a mask or any other medical device after consultation with the local county health department or city-county health department within the jurisdiction of where the board is located and when the jurisdiction of where the board is located is under a current state of emergency declared by the Governor. 2. The mandate shall explicitly list the purposes for the mandate. 3. The mandate shall reference the specific masks or medical devices that would meet the requirements of the mandate
So, it reads like the city/county leadership can issue a mask mandate, which would cover the schools. But that individual districts can't issue a mask mandate themselves.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I feel that the priority should be getting everyone in the world that is not too ill or too delusional to accept it vaccinated. Then consider boosters starting with those who are most compromised.

The concept of countries hoarding vaccines for their populations and wasting doses because their citizens won't take it is the height of stupidity. The only way to stop more variants is to get the spread controlled and the only way to do that is to get the world vaccinated.

Think about it this way. If the virus was a space alien attack and we were watching the news and saw that the aliens were mostly in places like Mexico and Canada and while initially they did not understand our bullets, they are fighting hard and getting better at figuring out how to dodge bullets. As Americans, would we be smarter to keep guns for our conscientious objectors just in case or would we be better off sending some guns to Canada to kill as many aliens as possible right now?
Wait.gif

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year

Kill everything you can now.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Does anyone else see this as a form of segregation based on their COVID beliefs and practices ? I pitty these kids when they first meet real conflict in their lives.

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1423720622472011782