Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I agree that a vaccinated person has a smaller risk of transmitting the virus than an unvaccinated person. But they CAN transmit the virus. So again, why not use the best mask available. To put it another way, if your child was being treated in a hospital would you feel more comfortable if those treating your child were wearing the N95 mask? Are you saying that you would be fine with them just wearing the regular mask?
For the exact same reason that even thought you CAN get a head injury when you drive your car and so can your child, you do not put yourself and your child in a helmet each time.
I really don’t see how I can make this more clear.

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
I agree that a vaccinated person has a smaller risk of transmitting the virus than an unvaccinated person. But they CAN transmit the virus. So again, why not use the best mask available. To put it another way, if your child was being treated in a hospital would you feel more comfortable if those treating your child were wearing the N95 mask? Are you saying that you would be fine with them just wearing the regular mask?
Looks like this is no longer believed to be the case. I heard on NPR this morning that researchers at Johns Hopkins believe there is no difference in transmission risk for the delta variant between vax’d and non-vax’d.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
He's trying to make the point that masks don't work. But the nosocomial COVID-19 infection rate is, what, near zero?

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask
You don't have a clue what point I'm trying to make. I just simply want to know what the logic is behind not using the best mask available at all times. Are they not available? BTW...try not to be such an insufferable prick.
And I have already answered that question, there is a vast difference in risk.

So, if I am so wrong about the point you're trying so hard to make, why not just make it rather than asking again a question that has already been answered?

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Looks like this is no longer believed to be the case. I heard on NPR this morning that researchers at Johns Hopkins believe there is no difference in transmission risk for the delta variant between vax’d and non-vax’d.
This is one of my points on the other page. If both vax and unvax people carry the same viral load, I assume means that they are both equally contagious. However, if this is the case, vaccinated people may be spreading COVID at a much higher rate due to their symptoms being much less sever or non-existent and, therefore, they are not taking as many precautions like staying at home when unknowingly infected.

Sep 3, 2010

So, if I am so wrong about the point you're trying so hard to make, why not just make it rather than asking again a question that has already been answered?

We all now know that vaccinated people are transmitting the virus. Maybe even at rates similar to those that are unvaccinated. My question was, and is, why not mask everyone who is on the front line up with the best mask? Your answer, I guess, is that vaccinated people aren’t transmitting the virus at a rate that we should be concerned with so vaccinated Drs and nurses can wear a les effective mask? I sincerely thought that there might be a good reason. You lose more credibility with each post.

Sep 3, 2010
For the exact same reason that even thought you CAN get a head injury when you drive your car and so can your child, you do not put yourself and your child in a helmet each time.
I really don’t see how I can make this more clear.
Come on man. I know you’re smarter than this. WOULD YOU WANT THE DR. TREATING YOUR CHILD TO WEAR THE BEST MASK AVAILABLE?

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Are you sure about that?
Based on available data that we have now, yes.

It is interesting how you can see the desire for a big "I told ya so" in the written words of some posters to the point that they are even misinterpreting data to make vaccination look as bad as possible even though it is clearly still the best possible measure.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Come on man. I know you’re smarter than this. WOULD YOU WANT THE DR. TREATING YOUR CHILD TO WEAR THE BEST MASK AVAILABLE?
WOULD YOU WANT YOUR CHILD RIDING IN A CAR THAT COULD INJURY HIS HEAD WITHOUT THE BEST POSSIBLE HEAD PROTECTION AVAILABLE?

Yelling doesn't change the obvious answer from being any more obvious. Sorry you can't get it.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
This is one of my points on the other page. If both vax and unvax people carry the same viral load, I assume means that they are both equally contagious. However, if this is the case, vaccinated people may be spreading COVID at a much higher rate due to their symptoms being much less sever or non-existent and, therefore, they are not taking as many precautions like staying at home when unknowingly infected.
Rate may be the same for vaccinated people WITH COVID, but that's still very rare. Why is it a problem that 10 vaxxed people spread at the same rate as 5,000 unvaxxed? Which group is spreading more?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

We all now know that vaccinated people are transmitting the virus. Maybe even at rates similar to those that are unvaccinated. My question was, and is, why not mask everyone who is on the front line up with the best mask? Your answer, I guess, is that vaccinated people aren’t transmitting the virus at a rate that we should be concerned with so vaccinated Drs and nurses can wear a les effective mask? I sincerely thought that there might be a good reason. You lose more credibility with each post.
Do you really think that you are smarter than the largest health system in Oklahoma? No, wait, you don't need to answer that. We all know you do.

I'm not losing credibility with anyone that matters. Not in the least.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
The other obvious answer is an emphatic NO!

Because the best mask available would be a PAPR and would scare the hell out of the kid for a negligible benefit.

And, the fact that you can't understand relative risk and risk-benefit ratios to our actions should not make you spout the words "I know you're smarter than this." You are not showing enough intelligence to understand that you do not take one factor to maximize and ignore all of the others. This is exactly why you don't don helmets for a ride in a car to school even though it would be the "best available" head protection. If you had the ability to understand, this would have been over far before your ignorance made you attempt to question my intelligence.

Sep 3, 2010

It is interesting how you can see the desire for a big "I told ya so" in the written words of some posters to the point that they are even misinterpreting data to make vaccination look as bad as possible even though it is clearly still the best possible measure.
WOULD YOU WANT YOUR CHILD RIDING IN A CAR THAT COULD INJURY HIS HEAD WITHOUT THE BEST POSSIBLE HEAD PROTECTION AVAILABLE?

Yelling doesn't change the obvious answer from being any more obvious. Sorry you can't get it.
I will gladly answer your question. Yes, if my child is going to be in a race care going 200 miles per hour, I would want him to have all of the protection available to him. If my child was being treated by someone that could possibly transmit a deadly virus to them I would also expect the medical staff to not half ass the masking because they don’t “think” the risk is all that great. I genuinely thought maybe there was a good reason for the difference. Is it a huge burden to wear a N95? Are they not available?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

I will gladly answer your question. Yes, if my child is going to be in a race care going 200 miles per hour, I would want him to have all of the protection available to him. If my child was being treated by someone that could possibly transmit a deadly virus to them I would also expect the medical staff to not half ass the masking because they don’t “think” the risk is all that great. I genuinely thought maybe there was a good reason for the difference. Is it a huge burden to wear a N95? Are they not available?
According to one poster here, wearing ANY mask is a dire human rights violation.

There is a difference between driving your kid to school and driving 200 mph in a race car. For one of them a helmet is necessary, while it is not for the other. Understand? Or are you going to keep pounding the same flawed analogy?

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
That wasn't the question so you did not answer it.

We have already been through this. Unless you are saying that cars only kill at 200 miles per hour, then you are "half-assing" the care of your child on the way to the doctor you are complaining about. The risk/benefit scenario of wearing a helmet in a car is nearly identical to the mask at the hospital. A regular mask is like a seatbelt. Easy, relatively unobtrusive, and so appropriate for an asymptomatic health care exam. An N95 is more obtrusive, uncomfortable, and makes communication more difficult. Therefore, it is only required for higher-risk issues. Again, similar to a helmet being required only in high-risk driving.

It is the very same good reason that I already told you each time. If you "genuinely" cared you would have understood that but we both know that what you genuinely desired was to argue.