Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Sitting at Baptist right now. The hall is packed. Talking to a nurse the story appears to be the same. The vaccine is maybe not as effective as hoped in preventing the vid but the vaccinated people who get it recover much better.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I'm gonna repost a story from an ER doctor in Tulsa. I told her I would share this story for anyone that would listen or read

I don’t know that this will change any minds, but I feel like I have to say something. It’s really bad guys. I’m having to run my entire ER out of two stretchers in a hallway because all the other beds are full of patients waiting on admission beds. 7 out of 10 of which are really sick Covid patients that are unvaccinated. Half of them are healthy 30 and 40 year olds that thought they would be fine. One of my patients last night called their spouse to say goodbye before they got intubated. I had to call their loved ones and break the news they were doing worse and dying. There are no beds in the state or surrounding states. We used a fixed wing plane to fly some out to Colorado and Kansas City, but now they are out of beds. People are waiting days now to be admitted or transferred. I’ve seriously lost count how many people I’ve seen with severe disease or disability from this. I remember how many I’ve had die. Those are hard to forget. I’ve had one person with a headache and one person with shoulder pain from the vaccine. That’s it. You can argue about the long term effects we don’t know about. It’s been out with studies for a year and nothing obvious or prevalent has come up and it took us just a few months of Covid to see devastating morbidity. Risk vs benefit. The survival rate is not the only thing to assess. What does that survival look like? Pretty bleak for a large number of “survivors”. I’ve had lots of those come through the ER too, begging for help to fix them and I can’t. If you’ve been waiting to see what happens, now is the time to stop waiting. I’m not trying to fear monger. I’m not trying to exaggerate. I get the media hypes things up and it’s hard to trust the government. But I am not the media. I am not political. I am gaining nothing financially. I am simply tired. Tired of seeing people sick and dying and tired of not being able to take care of any of my patients appropriately, whether they are Covid or not. Please save your breath and don’t argue on this post. If you have your reasons for disagreeing, keep scrolling. I don’t have the mental capacity to keep arguing. I only share this in hopes it will inform from what I hope some of you feel is a reliable source.

Interesting thing about that is the policy announced includes requiring an ID with a picture. Apparently requiring an ID is not so bad after all.
What I don’t understand is my own wife cannot call my doctor and ask for information unless I give permission first. How can a business be allowed to have somebody prove they are vaccinated? What if the person has a medical condition that will not allow them to get the vaccine? Do they have to divulge that info? It appears the federal HIPPAA laws are no longer in force.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
It is good to see that the health care professionals that don't care at all that they could have been transmitting it to their old and sick patients and killing them are finally coming around now that they see something in it for themselves.
Haven’t they determined that vaccinated people are transmitting it as well?

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Yet here we are

I talked to a friend of mine at lunch today who's spouse is an ER doctor. It is a small ER and only has 10 beds and it is in NE Oklahoma. the entire shift last night was run out of two gurneys set up at the end of a dead end hallway and all patients were being treated and triaged there. All of the beds in the ER were full with patients on hold for transfer to hospitals outside of Oklahoma as there was no more room for them in the state. They had one city ambulance taking patients to the town municipal air strip and fixed wing air ambulances were shuttling patients to Kansas or Colorado. One of those locations was Kansas City who was accepting out of state patients, but before the end of the shift last night had started rejecting all new patients as they were getting full.

They said the ER waiting room was full and people were waiting outside in their cars to get in. The Nursing crew is stretched and are threatening to walk out.
Sounds worse that the Stillwater hospital:

Stillwater City Council talks mask ordinance, councilors say resolution doesn't go far enough | Covid-19 | stwnewspress.com

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Yes, but the concern isn’t with a vaccinated to vaccinated transmission, rather, a vaccinated to unvaccinated transmission. Moral of the story: get vaccinated.
Not quite. They showed that with an infection in a vaccinated person they have a high viral load. Given that there is an association between viral load and infectivity, they presume that infectivity is likely.

Still, there is a sharp reduction in the chance that you get it if vaccinated. So even if it is possible to spread it is less likely you would spread it since it is less likely you would get it in the first place.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
What I don’t understand is my own wife cannot call my doctor and ask for information unless I give permission first. How can a business be allowed to have somebody prove they are vaccinated? What if the person has a medical condition that will not allow them to get the vaccine? Do they have to divulge that info? It appears the federal HIPPAA laws are no longer in force.
Because they're asking you for that information and not asking your doctor. Same reason why schools have always been able to ask for it.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Not quite. They showed that with an infection in a vaccinated person they have a high viral load. Given that there is an association between viral load and infectivity, they presume that infectivity is likely.

Still, there is a sharp reduction in the chance that you get it if vaccinated. So even if it is possible to spread it is less likely you would spread it since it is less likely you would get it in the first place.
Correct. My response was meant to emphasize there’s really more concern with infection and subsequent symptoms with those who haven’t yet been vaccinated.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Because they're asking you for that information and not asking your doctor. Same reason why schools have always been able to ask for it.
Yes, HIPAA is always the involvement of a health care person divulging information about a patient. If there is no health care person involved, it isn't about HIPAA. We have this issue with others like the police sometimes. HIPAA doesn't apply to the police. They aren't health care. So if you tell the police you have a medical condition, they can tell anyone (under HIPAA, there could be police rules on such things).

So you have to show your vaccine card and wait for it…….photo ID. Photo ID is required to prove your vaccine card actually belongs to you but no ID is required to cast a vote?

Excelsior Pass: New York's COVID Vaccine Passport

Need something else?

Immunization Record to get a copy of your COVID-19 vaccination record
New York State’s Excelsior Pass provides secure, digital proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test results. The Pass is only accepted in New York State.

Businesses and entertainment venues can scan and validate the pass to ensure you meet any COVID-19 vaccination or testing requirements for entry. When using the pass, you’ll be asked to show a photo ID that shows your name and birth date to verify identity.

The Excelsior Pass can digitally store information on your smartphone with the Excelsior Pass Wallet app, available for free from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. You can also print your Pass from the Excelsior Pass website and bring it with you.

Participation in Excelsior Pass is voluntary. You can always show alternate proof of vaccination or testing, like another mobile application or paper form, directly at a business or venue.

Once you enter an establishment, you must continue to follow social distancing, face covering and hand hygiene guidelines.