Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 29, 2016
US
Ummm. No. Sure, from the other side it is easy to just call it stupidity. But, this is sociology. We have become the dominant animal on the planet not only by individual thoughts and actions but by being a social animals and having leaders that have led us to do some great things. We have also had leaders that have lead us astray by exploiting those same social tendencies in our history. Just calling it "stupid" is too simplistic and unhelpful.
No. It's stupidity.

Mar 11, 2006
Every month we have billions of dollars of entitlements being distributed to people. Requiring vaccination to receive entitlements would drive up the percentage of people getting the vaccine.
‘Seems like both parties could get behind legislation for this.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Every month we have billions of dollars of entitlements being distributed to people. Requiring vaccination to receive entitlements would drive up the percentage of people getting the vaccine.
‘Seems like both parties could get behind legislation for this.
Yep. Lots of entitlements. It should be a requirement that any business that took a PPP loan, employee retention credit, or tax credit must have a vaccine mandate for all owners and employees. And lenders that used the ECIP or the Fed reserve programs. And anybody that took a relief payment or child tax credit has to pay it back if not vaccinated. Anyone that took extended unemployment. So many entitlements that the government could use to get compliance.
I'm sure that both parties would support mandating vaccines for all of these American businesses, lending institutions, and citizens who have received huge entitlements during this pandemic.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Politicians using people's fears to advance their politics.

Identifying the causes of vaccine hesitancy can help policymakers decide where to target their efforts. According to surveys and modeling by The Economist, the single greatest predictor of whether an American has been vaccinated is whether they voted for Joe Biden or Donald Trump last November.
Not even primarily politicians. Media as well. They profit from fear, and it has been clear along the way that getting initial data on the virus was tough, because the media was absolutely going to sell fear first, political division second, and good information a distant third.

Between that conflict of interest and politics-first for so many people, it created a no-win scenario for people that actually knew what they were talking about.

Fauci's constant changing of recommendations to "shape" public perception was also damaging.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Not even primarily politicians. Media as well. They profit from fear, and it has been clear along the way that getting initial data on the virus was tough, because the media was absolutely going to sell fear first, political division second, and good information a distant third.

Between that conflict of interest and politics-first for so many people, it created a no-win scenario for people that actually knew what they were talking about.

Fauci's constant changing of recommendations to "shape" public perception was also damaging.
Much of the media is politics these days. For example, things like MSNBC and OAN are political organizations, not real media.

Nov 23, 2010
Scientists said the Provincetown outbreak and other recent data on breakthrough infections make clear that the vaccines do work, as hoped, against severe illness and death, but do not offer blanket protection against any chance of infection.
This Provincetown outbreak happened during "bear week" which has to be about the toughest circumstances for any vaccine. I don't think we should make any policy decisions based on what happened during a gay men's get together.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Why don’t we just mail out the vaccines and tell people to take it on your own, fill out the card and mail it back? If it’s fine for voting it should be good enough for this.
Hey, keeping in line with your "logic" why don't you never go to a hospital or clinic again. You can youtube virtually every medical procedure and do it yourself and/or order the meds from overseas. If good enough for you for vaccination, it should be good enough for all of your medical needs.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Much of the media is politics these days. For example, things like MSNBC and OAN are political organizations, not real media.
Right, but even the "mainstream" stuff isn't good. Its propaganda from my perspective. Both sides. As such, nobody actually trusts anything, OR they are so tribal that their opinions are meaningless, because they clearly don't have the ability to be honest or critical.

From Day 1 of this pandemic, it was extremely difficult to get reliable information. There were actors literally profiting from the fear and division. How could we possibly expect people to suddenly "buy in" and "unify" around something legit? Everything is pushing it the opposite direction.......and profiting from it....

I am very fortunate to have gone to HS with the woman that led the team investigating remdesivir at Johns Hopkins, so her initial info (on facebook) was invaluable. Outside of her, it was basically people throwing darts for profit.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Both of my parents tested positive yesterday. They are huge Trump fans and told me to my face that Covid was not real..then they thought it was a population control virus intentionally released to bring on the new world order

They are both in their 80s and both are struggling very bad at this time. I full expect to ose both my parents to COVID right now...and I blame the right wing conspiracy crap for them not getting vaxxed

Dec 9, 2013
Both of my parents tested positive yesterday. They are huge Trump fans and told me to my face that Covid was not real..then they thought it was a population control virus intentionally released to bring on the new world order

They are both in their 80s and both are struggling very bad at this time. I full expect to ose both my parents to COVID right now...and I blame the right wing conspiracy crap for them not getting vaxxed
Binman-Praying for healing and peace. Sorry man.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow

I’m sorry you and your parents have to go through that, and hope the situations improves.

Hey, keeping in line with your "logic" why don't you never go to a hospital or clinic again. You can youtube virtually every medical procedure and do it yourself and/or order the meds from overseas. If good enough for you for vaccination, it should be good enough for all of your medical needs.
How do we know it’s not people afraid to leave their homes to get the shot? People were afraid to get out to vote in person. Millions of ballots were mailed and zero signs of any fraud so we know people will be truthful and only send the card back if they actually took the shot.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
How do we know it’s not people afraid to leave their homes to get the shot? People were afraid to get out to vote in person. Millions of ballots were mailed and zero signs of any fraud so we know people will be truthful and only send the card back if they actually took the shot.
Look, if you really can't understand the difference between paperwork and a medical procedure that requires a specific temperature I really can't help you. I understand your attempt at being clever because despite all the evidence otherwise, you believe the claim of the manipulators that want to destroy our elections that there was massive voter fraud. That still doesn't make your statement have any sense whatsoever. I have never seen a username be such a constant misnomer.

Mar 11, 2006
Yep. Lots of entitlements. It should be a requirement that any business that took a PPP loan, employee retention credit, or tax credit must have a vaccine mandate for all owners and employees. And lenders that used the ECIP or the Fed reserve programs. And anybody that took a relief payment or child tax credit has to pay it back if not vaccinated. Anyone that took extended unemployment. So many entitlements that the government could use to get compliance.
I'm sure that both parties would support mandating vaccines for all of these American businesses, lending institutions, and citizens who have received huge entitlements during this pandemic.
I agree, with one exception. I don’t think we can, or should, go back in time and make a requirement now for something that wasn’t a requirement then. My legal layman mind would think that would be open to a legal challenge.

But, why not:
1) Pass a bill that increases income taxes by a certain amount or by a specific percentage. Also, include an off-set tax deduction by the same amount for those fully vaccinated.
2) At same time, eliminate an amount of earned income tax credits, but include off-set for those fully vaccinated.

The bills would need to have language for taxes and offset credits to include all eligible family members. Item one would cover taxpayers and item two would cover those that don’t pay taxes.

A law like this would allow people the choice that don’t want to get vaccinated. Their body, their choice remains. But a definite financial incentive to get people vaccinated.