Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
2 things here, senate does not require masks. Not for the senators or staff. The house is arresting people for no masks in the same building that the senate doesn't require them. Maybe it is for show or distraction??

2 the hospital beds were not overrun with covid. There are overrun with rsv. Kinda different but still get vaccinated so covid doesn't add to the problem. I think that was the original message until politics hijacked it.
No they are talking about COVID over running kids hospitals. There are 2 major Kids hospitals in the State that have the staff and equipment (vents etc) to treat kids with COVID. One in OKC and one in Tulsa. Both hospitals COVID wards for kids are full. They are now directing kids who have COVID and need to be hospitalized to North Texas at this time. In the past they didn't need Kid's COVID wards as the original strain wasn't affecting them as much.

They are working at the Tulsa Children's hospital to expand their kids COVID ward to add more beds and repurpose some space for kids with COVID but that project just got underway this week and will take them a week or two to complete.

Until they expand then they will continue to refer kids with COVID to North Texas at this time.

I spoke to one of the Project leaders a the Children's Hospital in Tulsa bout this on Wend. Also in Tulsa for Adult COVID units. St Francis has 80 COVID patients at their one of their smaller locations and the main Hospital has 150 hospitalized and St Francis is starting to run out of room and will need to expand Adult COVID wards but this will be easy as they have already done this once in the past. At the Peak late last year...they had 3 full floors for a COVID Unit. They were down to just 10 people at one point. Now they have restored 2 of those floors and they are thinking of restoring the third floor again just for just COVID adults. He filled me in on what was going on with them trying to expand the COVID wards.

As for them sending the kids to North Texas at this time until the kids COVID wards are expanded. I spoke to an ER Doctor who informed me of that but she was optimistic they would have room in OKC and Tulsa expanded kids COVID wards they wouldn't have to do this more than a few days depending on the number of kids that need to be hospitalized and how fast the work can be done to expand. She said they have gone from admitting 2 people per WEEK for COVID to the Hospital to 2 Patients PER SHIFT

Last edited:

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
That RSV outbreak is no joke. A huge group (12) of my friends both adult and children all came down with it a couple weeks ago.
Huh... got me thinking. I had a nice little, what I thought was a "head cold" couple weeks back. Lots of sinus drainage, sore throat, much sneezing, sinus congestion and pressure so bad that I was constantly trying to pop my ears, BUT NO body ache or fever... But it kicked my butt enough that I thought I might have a second round of the Vid. Especially when I got back in the gym after 5 days and I struggled like crazy trying to catch my breath. The symptoms were nothing like what I went thru with Covid, but the recovery was VERY similar. It's been about two weeks now and my workouts are finally getting back to handling my normal levels of intensity (and stupidity).

Didn't even think about it being RSV possibly. :blink:

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Huh... got me thinking. I had a nice little, what I thought was a "head cold" couple weeks back. Lots of sinus drainage, sore throat, much sneezing, sinus congestion and pressure so bad that I was constantly trying to pop my ears, BUT NO body ache or fever... But it kicked my butt enough that I thought I might have a second round of the Vid. Especially when I got back in the gym after 5 days and I struggled like crazy trying to catch my breath. The symptoms were nothing like what I went thru with Covid, but the recovery was VERY similar. It's been about two weeks now and my workouts are finally getting back to handling my normal levels of intensity (and stupidity).

Didn't even think about it being RSV possibly. :blink:
Same thing here. Got tested. Negative for covid, positive for the flu. :eek: Can't remember the last time I had the flu.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
A technically accurate, but very poorly worded headline that can easily be misinterpreted. This type of reporting only strengthens anti-vaxxers.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1420972977005412354?s=21
Guess this is even worse.

Source: Washington Post

A sobering scientific analysis published Friday of an explosive Massachusetts covid-19 outbreak fueled by the delta variant found that three-quarters of the people who became infected were fully vaccinated. The report, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, bolstered the hypothesis that vaccinated people can spread the more transmissible variant and may be a factor in the summer surge of infections. The data, detailed in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, provided key evidence that convinced agency scientists to reverse recommendations on mask-wearing and advise that vaccinated individuals wear masks in indoor public settings in some circumstances.

Critically, the study found that vaccinated individuals carried as much virus in their noses as unvaccinated individuals, and that vaccinated people could spread the virus to each other. The CDC was criticized this week for changing its mask guidance without citing unpublished data. The report released Friday contains that data. "This finding is concerning and was a pivotal discovery leading to CDC's updated mask recommendation," CDC director Rochelle Walensky said in a statement. "The masking recommendation was updated to ensure the vaccinated public would not unknowingly transmit virus to others, including their unvaccinated or immunocompromised loved ones."

Scientists said the Provincetown outbreak and other recent data on breakthrough infections make clear that the vaccines do work, as hoped, against severe illness and death, but do not offer blanket protection against any chance of infection. Only a handful of people in the outbreak were hospitalized, but four of them were fully vaccinated. A CDC internal document obtained by The Washington Post estimated that 35,000 vaccinated people a week are having symptomatic breakthrough infections out of a vaccinated population of more than 162 million. Vaccination coverage is higher than average in Massachusetts, with nearly 70 percent of residents fully vaccinated.

"This shows the delta is formidable," said Larry Corey, a virologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. "We can't take one report of packed bars and extrapolate and say the sky is falling. The sky is not falling. But it does say the vaccine is not infallible. "Common sense has to be used," Corey said. "It's a learning moment, it's a teaching moment. You can't overlook the vast data we have on the effectiveness of the vaccine."

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/30/provincetown-covid-outbreak-vaccinated/

Umm I thought the breakthrough rate was low.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Guess this is even worse.

Source: Washington Post

A sobering scientific analysis published Friday of an explosive Massachusetts covid-19 outbreak fueled by the delta variant found that three-quarters of the people who became infected were fully vaccinated. The report, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, bolstered the hypothesis that vaccinated people can spread the more transmissible variant and may be a factor in the summer surge of infections. The data, detailed in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, provided key evidence that convinced agency scientists to reverse recommendations on mask-wearing and advise that vaccinated individuals wear masks in indoor public settings in some circumstances.

Critically, the study found that vaccinated individuals carried as much virus in their noses as unvaccinated individuals, and that vaccinated people could spread the virus to each other. The CDC was criticized this week for changing its mask guidance without citing unpublished data. The report released Friday contains that data. "This finding is concerning and was a pivotal discovery leading to CDC's updated mask recommendation," CDC director Rochelle Walensky said in a statement. "The masking recommendation was updated to ensure the vaccinated public would not unknowingly transmit virus to others, including their unvaccinated or immunocompromised loved ones."

Scientists said the Provincetown outbreak and other recent data on breakthrough infections make clear that the vaccines do work, as hoped, against severe illness and death, but do not offer blanket protection against any chance of infection. Only a handful of people in the outbreak were hospitalized, but four of them were fully vaccinated. A CDC internal document obtained by The Washington Post estimated that 35,000 vaccinated people a week are having symptomatic breakthrough infections out of a vaccinated population of more than 162 million. Vaccination coverage is higher than average in Massachusetts, with nearly 70 percent of residents fully vaccinated.

"This shows the delta is formidable," said Larry Corey, a virologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. "We can't take one report of packed bars and extrapolate and say the sky is falling. The sky is not falling. But it does say the vaccine is not infallible. "Common sense has to be used," Corey said. "It's a learning moment, it's a teaching moment. You can't overlook the vast data we have on the effectiveness of the vaccine."

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/30/provincetown-covid-outbreak-vaccinated/

Umm I thought the breakthrough rate was low.
It seems to be very low. 35,000/week is 5,000/day. Our 7 day average is 72,000 cases a day. That means only 7% of new cases are vaccinated breakthroughs. If the morons refusing the shot had received it, we'd be looking at 10,000 cases a day instead of 70,000. (Assuming symptomatic people get tested and asymptomatic people don't).

And beyond that, the article even says that only four people out of all those hospitalized were fully vaccinated. Four.

Every number and data point we've got says that the vaccines are safe, effective, and can prevent MOST cases from turning serious or fatal. I bolded the most so we don't get "hurrr durr, you said people wouldn't get sick and some people got sick so vaccines don't work. Also my sistur is hawwt". Oh, who am I kidding? We all know that those not getting the vaccine don't understand that inbreeding is wrong, let alone the math and science that most fourth graders can intuit.

Mar 11, 2006
https://twitter.com/wsvn/status/1421134978767855619
I wish he would also have mandated all public schools need to be in-person AND that there will be a state-wide virtual option for all grade-levels for any student that chooses or prefers virtual class work.

Parents that want their children in-person in school deserve that option and parents that want to keep their child socially distanced with virtual schooling should be provided that option as well. But it is incredibly tough for every school to operate their own virtual curriculum and it is inefficient…it should be state-wide by grade.

Dec 9, 2013
I wish he would also have mandated all public schools need to be in-person AND that there will be a state-wide virtual option for all grade-levels for any student that chooses or prefers virtual class work.

Parents that want their children in-person in school deserve that option and parents that want to keep their child socially distanced with virtual schooling should be provided that option as well. But it is incredibly tough for every school to operate their own virtual curriculum and it is inefficient…it should be state-wide by grade.
Statewide virtual option is a good idea. There would be challenges but it is a worthy alternative.

There are going to be more companies and events w vaccine mandates and passports. What really needs to happen is for gutless republicans who have been vaccinated to publicly come out in full throated support of vaccines. No playing it both ways and no hiding their vaccination status. If they truly are America 1st play to that angle. If their unvaccinated followers are still questioning point them to a faq sheet that they can see where others of like mind have similar questions and to encourage them to take up these questions w their local health care provider or dr. I am not a Hanity fan but applaud him for his stance on vaccines. More should follow his lead.

Enough of this sh!t. We are letting 30% of dumbass adults kill other Americans, put jobs and the economy at risk, cause unrecoverable educational loss in our kids, place our national security at risk and overburden our hospitals and healthcare professionals all bc they think they are being tracked or magnetized or sterilized.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1420829539438104576
It is absolutely criminal that we are going through this crap again while this administration allows tens of thousands of unvaccinated illegal to flood across our southern border. What’s the new herd immunity number now ? 70%, 80%, 90%? I can’t keep up. The last numbers I have seen show around 63% with at least one shot and way over 50% with both. What % of those unvaccinated have natural immunity from the virus? We want to make criminals out of those that haven’t been vaccinated because, obviously, they are a bunch of inbred simpletons to even question anything that the government wants to put in their body while turning a blind eye towards the disaster taking place at the border. I’ll believe this administration is serious about putting an end to the pandemic when they get serious about the border. Not holding my breath.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Yep. When 911 happened for a short time politics didn't matter. We were Americans first and partisanship meant way less. I'm not a fan of Bush but in that moment he stepped up.

Rubio, Clinton, Kasich-any one of them would have had a more unifying response to this. But that a hole decided power was more important than saving lives. He didn't understand how government works in a crisis situation and 600000 dead later we are where we are now.

Dec 9, 2013
It is absolutely criminal that we are going through this crap again while this administration allows tens of thousands of unvaccinated illegal to flood across our southern border. What’s the new herd immunity number now ? 70%, 80%, 90%? I can’t keep up. The last numbers I have seen show around 63% with at least one shot and way over 50% with both. What % of those unvaccinated have natural immunity from the virus? We want to make criminals out of those that haven’t been vaccinated because, obviously, they are a bunch of inbred simpletons to even question anything that the government wants to put in their body while turning a blind eye towards the disaster taking place at the border. I’ll believe this administration is serious about putting an end to the pandemic when they get serious about the border. Not holding my breath.
Isn’t it interesting that the hospital CoVid floors and icu units are full in the border states of FL, AR, MO & OK?

Border arrests are up. Some sources are placing them at 20 yr highs so to say this admin is allowing illegals to flood in is not true.

Also when you look at the updated CDC CoVid map, certain border counties in TX are at the highest spread level but other counties across TX including where El Paso is are not. In fact many counties across the border in NM, AZ and CA are not at the highest levels w a few being at low levels of spread.

Immigration is a problem. Good thing when the Rs had both houses of Congress & the WH they passed comprehensive immigration legislation. Oh wait they didn’t.

This surge is squarely on people who won’t vaccinate and then continue to associate in public wo masks and their leaders who wont act in the best interest of the entire country.

Last edited:

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Oct 29, 2016
US
Politicians using people's fears to advance their politics.

Identifying the causes of vaccine hesitancy can help policymakers decide where to target their efforts. According to surveys and modeling by The Economist, the single greatest predictor of whether an American has been vaccinated is whether they voted for Joe Biden or Donald Trump last November.
In other words, baa baa sheep. Let's be honest here.. it's stupidity. That's the entire problem. Complete and idiotic stupidity in its most destructive form.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
In other words, baa baa sheep. Let's be honest here.. it's stupidity. That's the entire problem. Complete and idiotic stupidity in its most destructive form.
Ummm. No. Sure, from the other side it is easy to just call it stupidity. But, this is sociology. We have become the dominant animal on the planet not only by individual thoughts and actions but by being a social animals and having leaders that have led us to do some great things. We have also had leaders that have lead us astray by exploiting those same social tendencies in our history. Just calling it "stupid" is too simplistic and unhelpful.