Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
So you don't remember the backtrack that happened? I remember them saying it wasn't as big a deal, than just watching them for any of the signs of myocarditis due to any other infection.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I have explained this with details and links.

If you are so set on this "backtrack" idea maybe you could provide a link to cardiologists or article saying something like, "This isn't so bad and isn't any worse than anything else, we are backtracking from what we had said before." Otherwise, I have provided you the medical truth, you just need to choose to believe it or go with what you think you remember about strep and viruses.

Dec 9, 2013
My guess: Delta variant, still high percentage of unvaccinated, the fact that many events were still shutdown last year compared to this year.
What do you think?
I think those are all reasons and I’ll throw in masks.

I think we both agree vax is good and we are heading for more deaths and hospitalizations.

I think we also both agree that we won’t be heading back to any type of shutdown like what we had before. I’m guessing it’s pretty much 90% full steam ahead. I think keeping businesses, churches, schools and events open as much as possible is a great thing.

Let’s say we are around 55% fully vaxxed in US. Round #s there are about 35MM 4-11 yo in US. Let’s assume they get vaxxed at same % as what we have seen so far (55%). So that’s another 19.25MM for a total vaxxed US pop of 206.25MM or 62.5%. If we need to get to 70% to get to herd immunity that’s another 24.75MM. If that # is 80% that # is 57.75MM.

What would cause 24.75MM ppl to get vaxxed (and let’s not even discuss 57.75MM)?

And this is wo any discussion that orig strain infection inoculates you from delta or delta infection does the same going forward.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
I think those are all reasons and I’ll throw in masks.

I think we both agree vax is good and we are heading for more deaths and hospitalizations.

I think we also both agree that we won’t be heading back to any type of shutdown like what we had before. I’m guessing it’s pretty much 90% full steam ahead. I think keeping businesses, churches, schools and events open as much as possible is a great thing.

Let’s say we are around 55% fully vaxxed in US. Round #s there are about 35MM 4-11 yo in US. Let’s assume they get vaxxed at same % as what we have seen so far (55%). So that’s another 19.25MM for a total vaxxed US pop of 206.25MM or 62.5%. If we need to get to 70% to get to herd immunity that’s another 24.75MM. If that # is 80% that # is 57.75MM.

What would cause 24.75MM ppl to get vaxxed (and let’s not even discuss 57.75MM)?

And this is wo any discussion that orig strain infection inoculates you from delta or delta infection does the same going forward.
How to get 24.75M people more?
* Many, if not most, public schools vaccines require vaccine records for other diseases. COVID vaccine could be required for either in-person schooling or for participation in school sponsored activities. Would have to think that requirement would drive up vaccines for youth.
* Venues require vaccines for admittance. Green Day just had a concert in Tulsa earlier this week that required vaccine proof. If more of this happened it would drive up vaccines.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
How to get 24.75M people more?
* Many, if not most, public schools vaccines require vaccine records for other diseases. COVID vaccine could be required for either in-person schooling or for participation in school sponsored activities. Would have to think that requirement would drive up vaccines for youth.
* Venues require vaccines for admittance. Green Day just had a concert in Tulsa earlier this week that required vaccine proof. If more of this happened it would drive up vaccines.
Oh man. Imagine the sh*t storm that first one would stir up...

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Simple question. We were heading towards 10k cases/d in May and June. Now we are trending higher than we were this time last summer. Why?
Seriously? Because the world isn’t just open it’s going places like its been shut in for a year? Last year I rented a place on the beach and one night was $47 June of 2020……this year same place is over $200 a night and there isn’t 3 consecutive nights available till September. I went to a baseball game with 50K people there in April. Last year they the season opened without fans this week. How many events have had 100k people at them and this time last year they were saying they would shut down your back yard gathering if you had 10….. You can argue the effectiveness of all the measures we took…..masks, gloves, capacity numbers, indoor vs outdoor restrictions…..but what works is no BS lockdown. The numbers seem actually low considering delta is supposed be more contagious …… like we should be seeing the crazy numbers trotted out at the beginning of this of this thing where millions would get it and die in a few months if we didn’t mitigate cause we aren’t doing a thing now to stop it. But you have a large number of vaccinated and large number of natural immunity left and sadly you have many of the most vulnerable dead. It would stand to reason its not ever going to be as bad as it was. We saw cases fall sharply as the world opened before we had meaningful numbers of people vaccinated. I think that’s what happens this time….. we will see spikes and valleys and the spikes will become increasingly lower as we all get vaccinated or have had it.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I realize my take here is probably going to be massively unpopular on this board, but I don't mind Macron's decision. We know: 1) vaccinations greatly reduce the odds of catching and transmitting the virus; 2) the virus is transmitted person-to-person; 3) that public gatherings are a large source of spreading events; 4) the Delta variant concern is real and problematic.

I don't have a problem with requiring vaccinations (or some doctor's exemption) for public transportation, airplanes, airports, and cinemas. We already have other requirements to attend those --- payments, clothing, etc. I just spent 30-hours flying home from Europe in airplanes, airports, and terminal buses all while wearing a mask --- I would much rather just show a vaccine card than wear a mask.

In the world of a large-scale pandemic that also includes a simple solution of a vaccine --- requiring a vaccine makes sense to me. (Note: I don't think restaurants should be included ...all people need to eat).
When did we start not requiring vaccines? I don't get it. People refusing to take the vaccine are not only ignorant they are also selfish. Being a retired science educator it terrifies at the pitiful education in basic life science we have now.

Mar 11, 2006
When did we start not requiring vaccines? I don't get it. People refusing to take the vaccine are not only ignorant they are also selfish. Being a retired science educator it terrifies at the pitiful education in basic life science we have now.
I agree with one caveat. I think the larger percentage of those not getting that vaccine are not necessarily selfish - they either genuinely don’t feel they need it or are ignorant like you say and believe the risk of the vaccine is greater than the virus.

Dec 9, 2013
I agree with one caveat. I think the larger percentage of those not getting that vaccine are not necessarily selfish - they either genuinely don’t feel they need it or are ignorant like you say and believe the risk of the vaccine is greater than the virus.
I am a huge proponent of the vaccine and recommend everyone eligible wo legitimate health/faith (which is way different than religious) get the shots asap. At this point I don’t know how I feel about Govts mandating shots. If health experts are convinced that EUAs are as good as full FDA approval or we get full FDA approval then mandate away. That being said I 100% support any organization or company mandating employees/customers having the vaxx. You don’t want the shot, find another place to work/shop/eat/go. I fully support this type of vaccine passport.

I think schools or local govts based on current &/or projected + case loads should have every tool in their bag including masks and other restriction requirements w consultation w local health experts. I don’t want a legislator from Podunk, OK telling my school board or mayor they can’t require masks when our ICU is full and our positivity rate is out of control.

In my opinion the low vaccination rate and current spread can be mitigated. Pastors, church leaders, Trump, Biden, State & Local political leaders, sports & entertainment (especially the different music genres) need to film PSA’s and hold events where the politics are off and they point to actual facts w Drs and scientists available to answer questions.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
my close friends (yes, I have a few) and family members who have not been vaccinated share this with me as to why: (in no particular order)
1. they are hard right republicans (actually this did not come out as a statement, more in the line of us all agreeing that this has/is political in nature)
2. they believe covid is over dramatized by media (it ain't that freakin bad) (media is trying to scare/control us)
3. vaccines are only to track us (actually believed by two family members) I said, 'they don't have to track us cuz they already are...do you have a cellphone?' (i digress)
4. people are still getting covid and dying from covid who are vaccinated...furthermore, people are getting sick and dying from the vaccine.
5. I can honestly say that I would/will be shocked if any of these people I am referring to EVER get the vaccination...and when/if they don't ever get covid, they will say, "see, I told you so..."
UGH

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
my close friends (yes, I have a few) and family members who have not been vaccinated share this with me as to why: (in no particular order)
1. they are hard right republicans (actually this did not come out as a statement, more in the line of us all agreeing that this has/is political in nature)
2. they believe covid is over dramatized by media (it ain't that freakin bad) (media is trying to scare/control us)
3. vaccines are only to track us (actually believed by two family members) I said, 'they don't have to track us cuz they already are...do you have a cellphone?' (i digress)
4. people are still getting covid and dying from covid who are vaccinated...furthermore, people are getting sick and dying from the vaccine.
5. I can honestly say that I would/will be shocked if any of these people I am referring to EVER get the vaccination...and when/if they don't ever get covid, they will say, "see, I told you so..."
UGH
*You left one little gem out:
I don't want to take a chance on this new type of RNA making me or my kids sterile

*What if this new RNA jumps from me to my 25 year old that is trying to stay fertile?

I snapped the other day and asked my family member if they are really that stupid. My sister said it was on Facebook and some of her teacher friends had told her about the sterility, her husband just glared at me. I asked did she want theoretical grandkids or her kids to have COVID

So what do you think? US + cases are 2x overstated? 3x? What’s your #?
I don’t know but what are the odds a healthy guy vaccinated tests positive twice in a six week period?
Before covid came along how many people had ever heard the term “asymptomatic spread?” For the doctors on here what other diseases should we be worried about with asymptomatic spread?

Dec 9, 2013
I don’t know but what are the odds a healthy guy vaccinated tests positive twice in a six week period?
Before covid came along how many people had ever heard the term “asymptomatic spread?” For the doctors on here what other diseases should we be worried about with asymptomatic spread?
So if positivity rate is overstated wouldn’t that make it even more important to mitigate w masks, distancing and vaccines because the lethality rate and hospitalization rates as a % of positive cases would be higher?

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
*You left one little gem out:
I don't want to take a chance on this new type of RNA making me or my kids sterile

*What if this new RNA jumps from me to my 25 year old that is trying to stay fertile?

I snapped the other day and asked my family member if they are really that stupid. My sister said it was on Facebook and some of her teacher friends had told her about the sterility, her husband just glared at me. I asked did she want theoretical grandkids or her kids to have COVID
Facebook is the devil...especially among people who never felt the need to fact check anything...(I would guess 50ish up...*note: I am beyond 50 myself but have always checked sources, probably cuz I am a history buff and do research on stuff, even movies based on true stories; I go overboard with those.
Back in the old days, we watched the nightly news, and they were honest (I think/thought) and we believed them, and now we still believe them, plus every social media post.
I tried to explain to my mom one time why you don't just believe and repost stuff on Facebook cuz it's someone's opinion (or lie)...I said that is like seeing a stranger on the street and believing something they told you...I honestly give up...our world is getting stupider...
side note: (u can quit reading now if so inclined) my mom and sister said they read/saw where there was a magnetic chip in each vaccinated persons shoulder...I told my wife that the next time we visit parents I was going to randomly run into the refrigerator when I walked by...that's all