Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I just read this, but haven't been able to verify the info. Maybe someone else with better interweb skills can. If so, the information is really telling about either the severity of the Delta variant or the benefits of the vaccines.
Accurate, but deaths and hospitalizations lag cases. Both are going to increase substantially and are tracking fairly close to the increases seen on cases that happened two and four weeks ago, respectively.

This is about the delta variant, the removal of restrictions despite near peack cases, and the lower efficacy of the AstraZeneca vaccine. Also has to do with their "first doses, first" policy where their fully vaccinated population is roughly equal to ours proportionally, but their single dose population is much higher. That single dose doesn't appear to confer much protection against delta. One way of framing this is with no restrictions and the delta variant, things still won't get as bad as they were in the winter when they did have restrictions.

Mar 11, 2006
Are you concerned with reaching herd immunity Mr. 100% for vaxx but still making antivaxx arguments?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Please tell me what comments/posts that I have made that you are interpreting to be anti-vax? I don't know how you could make that interpretation. Were the CDC facts I provided incorrect?

Jun 14, 2011
I can tell you the goal posts will move because look at it this way, it's not just kooks that would think this.

One, how long does it normally take a drug to receive full FDA approval? Isn't this in the multi-year category?

Two, how many drugs; I know it's not many, go through that full process and are still later recalled because of adverse side effects that were never caught until the drug was fully released, or were hidden by the manufacturer somehow?

The thought of there being issues just has to be plausible for people to come up with reasons to reject it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I just read this, but haven't been able to verify the info. Maybe someone else with better interweb skills can. If so, the information is really telling about either the severity of the Delta variant or the benefits of the vaccines.
I haven't checked on it in detail, but after a cursory glance at worldometers that looks about right. Granted, that could change as deaths and hospitalizations are lagging, but it would seem the vaccine has broken the link between cases and severe outcomes.

The mRNA is a modern miracle that we just watched happen. I really hope we use this as a springboard for an entirely new field of medicine.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Are many unvaccinated kids dying? If that is true then I am not aware and it is news to me. The CDC website (updated July 17th) shows 337 deaths from COVID for kids age 17 and below since March 2020. That is less than the 477 Influenza deaths listed for the same age group for the 2018-2019 flu season. I am certainly not disputing that kids can get COVID, but the percentage of COVID deaths for youth is .05%. For the flu it was 1.5%.

I am not overly concerned with protecting 12 year olds (ie stat above). I don’t want them to get it because they could spread to others. Agree that schools should exercise good hygeine, but I am happy at least my school will not be mandating masks and making them voluntary. There may be some unvaccinated teachers, but I think the larger issue will be teachers balking at teaching students who don’t wear a mask.
Pretty good read on the issue concerning the kiddos.https://www.wsj.com/articles/cdc-co...fects-hospitalization-kids-11626706868?page=1

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
And again I ask what is required for an EUA to be granted? What paperwork must be filed by pharma? What data must be presented? What documentation? Every single vial ships with package information, a regulatory document. What is the process for that, or can the pharma just make it up? What about shipping, storage and handling? Do those have to be approved? Or can you just sit the vaccines on the loading doc for a couple of days?

People decrying "unapproved" have no earthly idea what they are talking about.

Well I'm obviously confused. I have no idea what the hell is required for an EUA. Never claimed to know how to build that watch. Per the article, and my elementary understanding, I assume that the vaccine was granted an EUA because it needed further study before being granted full approval. Are you saying that an EUA is just as good as a formal FDA approval? If they are the same why the different designation?
I am saying that EUA isn't "experimental" as people are saying. Pfizer, for instance, had to submit safety and efficacy data, along with many other regulatory documents, to obtain the EUA. The FDA didn't simply wave them through and there was absolutely nothing "informal" about it. AstraZeneca's vaccine isn't on the market in the US yet because they've failed to meet the standards required by the FDA for emergency use authorization (namely safety).

You might want to listen to a pharmacist who actually knows about the drug approval process. Just sayin'...

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Are you concerned with reaching herd immunity Mr. 100% for vaxx but still making antivaxx arguments?

Please tell me what comments/posts that I have made that you are interpreting to be anti-vax? I don't know how you could make that interpretation. Were the CDC facts I provided incorrect?
Now you are gaslighting.

Kids dying from the virus is irrelevant. Kids spreading the virus and keeping it in circulation is the issue. They need to be vaccinated. You are 100% for vaccination, right?

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
I am saying that EUA isn't "experimental" as people are saying. Pfizer, for instance, had to submit safety and efficacy data, along with many other regulatory documents, to obtain the EUA. The FDA didn't simply wave them through and there was absolutely nothing "informal" about it. AstraZeneca's vaccine isn't on the market in the US yet because they've failed to meet the standards required by the FDA for emergency use authorization (namely safety).

You might want to listen to a pharmacist who actually knows about the drug approval process. Just sayin'...

Where did I say that it was experimental? I'm saying that there are folks out there that won't take the shot because it hasn't received full FDA approval and that I feel like that is a legitimate concern. Then you go off on some incoherent rant about how an EUA is granted and how dumb I am for not knowing all of the processes involved from paperwork to storage. I never said that there was anything informal about any of it. Folks are concerned that it was rushed and it hasn't been fully approved by the FDA. Maybe, their concerns are justified or maybe not. Time will tell I guess. Again I ask, is an EUA the same as full approval from the FDA?

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Fully vaxxed & I wear one everywhere I go. Was in line the other day and was asked why I still wear a mask. I replied “I’m getting over a highly contagious stomach bug that put me on the toilet for 2 days and dropped me 15 pounds. I’ll gladly take it off and help you unload your cart.” He changed lines.
Awesome.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Are many unvaccinated kids dying? If that is true then I am not aware and it is news to me. The CDC website (updated July 17th) shows 337 deaths from COVID for kids age 17 and below since March 2020. That is less than the 477 Influenza deaths listed for the same age group for the 2018-2019 flu season. I am certainly not disputing that kids can get COVID, but the percentage of COVID deaths for youth is .05%. For the flu it was 1.5%.

I am not overly concerned with protecting 12 year olds (ie stat above). I don’t want them to get it because they could spread to others. Agree that schools should exercise good hygeine, but I am happy at least my school will not be mandating masks and making them voluntary. There may be some unvaccinated teachers, but I think the larger issue will be teachers balking at teaching students who don’t wear a mask.
There are significant risks other than death, particularly for the young. COVID myocarditis can take a young healthy person and turn them into a cardiac disability case. Not dead, but shorter life span and lower life quality.
Interestingly, despite the fact that getting COVID is higher risk and causes more severe myocarditis, if you google "covid myocarditis" virtually every link is about vaccination myocarditis. No wonder people are inappropriately fearful. Just think if "seatbelt accident" brought up millions of articles about the rare times that seatbelts entrap people in a fiery crash or underwater instead of saying that they save lives.

Mar 11, 2006
Now you are gaslighting.

Kids dying from the virus is irrelevant. Kids spreading the virus and keeping it in circulation is the issue. They need to be vaccinated. You are 100% for vaccination, right?

"Gaslighting"??
You stated I was making anti-vax arguments --- which I clearly have never --- because I am not remotely anti-vax. I will ask again --- what post have I made that you interpreted to mean I was anti-vax?? Are you confusing me for someone else?
I am open to debate on policies and opinions, but I am not going to debate something I neither said nor support.

Last edited: