Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 9, 2013
Ugh.
I was glad to learn yesterday in a meeting with my local school superintendent that my public school (one of the larger HS in the state) will NOT be requiring masks at any grade level K through 12.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1418314260929712128?s=21
Why are you opposed to masks?

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I went into my North Texas Kroger and saw more masks than I’ve seen in months. If it helps slow the spread, I’m fine with wearing one. Making them mandatory is questionable, but the incessant whining about wearing masks makes me question who are the real snowflakes.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I went into my North Texas Kroger and saw more masks than I’ve seen in months. If it helps slow the spread, I’m fine with wearing one. Making them mandatory is questionable, but the incessant whining about wearing masks makes me question who are the real snowflakes.
I agree. I'll also counter by asking you to guess how many of those wearing masks were unvaccinated? My guess is you're mostly going to get compliance for those who are vaccinated, meaning masking isn't going to be super effective. In a world where we ignore compliance and people's perception of the vaccine, this makes sense. Those two things are factors, regardless of what I think about the anti mask and anti vaxx crowds and I see that move as doing more harm than good, at least in red or purple states.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I agree. I'll also counter by asking you to guess how many of those wearing masks were unvaccinated? My guess is you're mostly going to get compliance for those who are vaccinated, meaning masking isn't going to be super effective. In a world where we ignore compliance and people's perception of the vaccine, this makes sense. Those two things are factors, regardless of what I think about the anti mask and anti vaxx crowds and I see that move as doing more harm than good, at least in red or purple states.
Yep. I wore a mask and am fully vaxxed. I’m not too concerned about health issues since we’re all vaxxed. I don’t want to spread it and I’d be more annoyed with a breakthrough case than I am with wearing a mask.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
JESUS H, MAN. You are just doubling down on your ignorance, aren't you?!

To start, one is a vaccine and the other is an antiparasitic. But beyond that, even in your own scenario, you would take the treatment if it was under an EUA and it was a last resort. You are freaking disproving your own point in your own analogy.
Again, my point is that I don’t think it’s fair to label people as kooks because they are hesitant to take a shot that is not formally approved by the FDA. PJ said that’s not what he meant and that’s good enough for me. Sounds like you’re in the business, are you saying that an EUA is the same as formal FDA approval?

Dec 9, 2013
I am fully vaccinated. I believe in science. I understand risks.

Requiring masks regardless of vaccinations status eliminates one incentive for those to get vaccinated.
I get that but is it different than a hospital CEO saying we are not increasing our icu beds or adding vent capacity to keep unvaccinated alive because we want more people to take the vaccines? This is a scenario I don’t think would happen, but it is becoming more likely that hospitals can’t afford to add capacity due to lack of $.

Also, how do we protect those up to 12yo who are in a classroom w Unvaccinated teachers who continue to refuse to wear masks and don’t take other mitigation strategies? We already know unvaccinated kids are getting sick, hospitalized and dying. There will be lawsuits.

Dec 9, 2013
Yep. I wore a mask and am fully vaxxed. I’m not too concerned about health issues since we’re all vaxxed. I don’t want to spread it and I’d be more annoyed with a breakthrough case than I am with wearing a mask.
Fully vaxxed & I wear one everywhere I go. Was in line the other day and was asked why I still wear a mask. I replied “I’m getting over a highly contagious stomach bug that put me on the toilet for 2 days and dropped me 15 pounds. I’ll gladly take it off and help you unload your cart.” He changed lines.

Mar 11, 2006
Also, how do we protect those up to 12yo who are in a classroom w Unvaccinated teachers who continue to refuse to wear masks and don’t take other mitigation strategies? We already know unvaccinated kids are getting sick, hospitalized and dying. There will be lawsuits.
Are many unvaccinated kids dying? If that is true then I am not aware and it is news to me. The CDC website (updated July 17th) shows 337 deaths from COVID for kids age 17 and below since March 2020. That is less than the 477 Influenza deaths listed for the same age group for the 2018-2019 flu season. I am certainly not disputing that kids can get COVID, but the percentage of COVID deaths for youth is .05%. For the flu it was 1.5%.

I am not overly concerned with protecting 12 year olds (ie stat above). I don’t want them to get it because they could spread to others. Agree that schools should exercise good hygeine, but I am happy at least my school will not be mandating masks and making them voluntary. There may be some unvaccinated teachers, but I think the larger issue will be teachers balking at teaching students who don’t wear a mask.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Are many unvaccinated kids dying? If that is true then I am not aware and it is news to me. The CDC website (updated July 17th) shows 337 deaths from COVID for kids age 17 and below since March 2020. That is less than the 477 Influenza deaths listed for the same age group for the 2018-2019 flu season. I am certainly not disputing that kids can get COVID, but the percentage of COVID deaths for youth is .05%. For the flu it was 1.5%.

I am not overly concerned with protecting 12 year olds (ie stat above). I don’t want them to get it because they could spread to others. Agree that schools should exercise good hygeine, but I am happy at least my school will not be mandating masks and making them voluntary. There may be some unvaccinated teachers, but I think the larger issue will be teachers balking at teaching students who don’t wear a mask.
Are you concerned with reaching herd immunity Mr. 100% for vaxx but still making antivaxx arguments?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Trump was handed a winning lottery ticket in the virus - say a few "let's do this together, rah rah rah" speeches and boom he wins in a landslide. Bush II rode Sept 11th for FOUR YEARS to an election win. Trump couldn't do it for eight months! He was so worried about blame that every message was tainted from the beginning.
Nope. Without the virus Trump wins a second term in a cake walk.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Are you concerned with reaching herd immunity Mr. 100% for vaxx but still making antivaxx arguments?

Serious question pertaining to herd immunity...what is the estimate on the number of people that have not been vaccinated but have immunity from having contracted the virus?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
JESUS H, MAN. You are just doubling down on your ignorance, aren't you?!

To start, one is a vaccine and the other is an antiparasitic. But beyond that, even in your own scenario, you would take the treatment if it was under an EUA and it was a last resort. You are freaking disproving your own point in your own analogy.
Again, my point is that I don’t think it’s fair to label people as kooks because they are hesitant to take a shot that is not formally approved by the FDA. PJ said that’s not what he meant and that’s good enough for me. Sounds like you’re in the business, are you saying that an EUA is the same as formal FDA approval?
And again I ask what is required for an EUA to be granted? What paperwork must be filed by pharma? What data must be presented? What documentation? Every single vial ships with package information, a regulatory document. What is the process for that, or can the pharma just make it up? What about shipping, storage and handling? Do those have to be approved? Or can you just sit the vaccines on the loading doc for a couple of days?

People decrying "unapproved" have no earthly idea what they are talking about.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
And again I ask what is required for an EUA to be granted? What paperwork must be filed by pharma? What data must be presented? What documentation? Every single vial ships with package information, a regulatory document. What is the process for that, or can the pharma just make it up? What about shipping, storage and handling? Do those have to be approved? Or can you just sit the vaccines on the loading doc for a couple of days?

People decrying "unapproved" have no earthly idea what they are talking about.

Well I'm obviously confused. I have no idea what the hell is required for an EUA. Never claimed to know how to build that watch. Per the article, and my elementary understanding, I assume that the vaccine was granted an EUA because it needed further study before being granted full approval. Are you saying that an EUA is just as good as a formal FDA approval? If they are the same why the different designation?

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I just read this, but haven't been able to verify the info. Maybe someone else with better interweb skills can. If so, the information is really telling about either the severity of the Delta variant or the benefits of the vaccines.

In the UK, with the variant.

Cases are 75% of the last, highest peak 60,000 to 45,000
Hospitalizations are 13% the earlier peak 4,200 to 563
Deaths are 4% of the earlier peak. 1,250 to 50