Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
It is bonkers that there is so much disagreement and bickering over vaccinations during a pandemic. Unfortunately it became very political which has furthered the divide. Up front, Trump, Fauci, Cuomo, WHO are all morons in their own rights for the way they've handled COVID and actions they've taken. I am a firm republican, but believer in the vaccines and have convinced others to get the shots.

That said, one of my largest issues is the reliance on masks and vaccines without any mention of personal health. We know that nearly all of the COVID deaths were in patients that had prior comorbidities. Most of these comorbidities are related to poor heath from lack of exercise, poor diet, etc. which are correctable. We live in a nation where everyone wants the easy way out (ie. pills) to fix or help correct issues. People are so quick to criticize and point out social status discrepancies, political ideologies, etc., but you cannot mention someone's health or weight without shaming them. If our CDC had a lick of sense, they would have instructed people to get healthier during these lockdowns and pushed the COVID facts between healthy verses non-healthy people. Better diets, exercise, and various vitamins (D, Zinc) could have saved countless lives all while making the population less of a burden on our health care system and less dependent on Big Pharma to band-aid their health issues. Of course this is the same CDC which allows big Pharma to advertise on TV, Monsanto to prioritize farming seeds, and allows chemicals in our food that nearly every other country bans.
Are those last things actually the area of the FDA?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa
Don't forget democrats that downplayed the virus even while Trump was trying to take action and shutdown our borders. Pelosi and others with their "come on down to China Town, everything is fine". They called him racist for stopping incoming international travel.
Exactly, they were trying to spin Trump as a racist to spike the political football instead of thinking about how global pandemics are spread. They tried to gain political points for calling people careless when they weren’t shutting businesses down. The whole strategy was to be an obstacle to opposing leadership during a crisis.

Same thing goes for Trump and what he said about masks during the debate. He caught COVID literally days after (or before) and was spouting masks are a hoax to prime his base. Then he tried to look like a tough guy at the white house when he was clearly gasping for air.

Logic and leadership was out the window during this whole debacle. This was the worst American crisis since World War 2 and we kept playing political theater instead working together. We are a rudderless ship full of partisan hacks.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
People who are in better shape are at lower risk. We have known this for a while. What we don't know is if a 60 year old with a BMI of 45 who hasn't exercised in 20 years can lower his risk by starting to exercise. My guess is: 1) not by much, 2) it's a good idea from a general health standpoint, and 3) his best bet is to be fully vaccinated.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Or, 4) never let yourself get to that point… and rock 60 yrs old with a BMI of 22, spend 45 - 60 min in the gym DAILY, enjoy every outdoor activity possible, AND be vaccinated.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Exactly, they were trying to spin Trump as a racist to spike the political football instead of thinking about how global pandemics are spread. They tried to gain political points for calling people careless when they weren’t shutting businesses down. The whole strategy was to be an obstacle to opposing leadership during a crisis.

Same thing goes for Trump and what he said about masks during the debate. He caught COVID literally days after (or before) and was spouting masks are a hoax to prime his base. Then he tried to look like a tough guy at the white house when he was clearly gasping for air.

Logic and leadership was out the window during this whole debacle. This was the worst American crisis since World War 2 and we kept playing political theater instead working together. We are a rudderless ship full of partisan hacks.
Yup. TERM LIMITS! Done with ALL OF THEM! D.O.N.E.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Well for starters....

We were funding research on GOF there.
Just curious, prior to this becoming a political football, did you have any knowledge of the science of "gain of function" in viruses and exactly what that term means scientifically? Because I didn't, and still don't know the details. Yet, now people are claiming enough expertise to decide that someone is lying about it, and conveniently, those who feel they have suddenly gained this expertise to make that decision all have the same political views.

If you think what is being said is the equivalent of knowing your wife is cheating and not more at the level of "Hmmm, why did she say she was at the grocery store for 2.5 hours when she only got two bags of groceries?" which is where the certainty level on this subject is, you are thinking politically not scientifically.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
Just curious, prior to this becoming a political football, did you have any knowledge of the science of "gain of function" in viruses and exactly what that term means scientifically? Because I didn't, and still don't know the details. Yet, now people are claiming enough expertise to decide that someone is lying about it, and conveniently, those who feel they have suddenly gained this expertise to make that decision all have the same political views.

If you think what is being said is the equivalent of knowing your wife is cheating and not more at the level of "Hmmm, why did she say she was at the grocery store for 2.5 hours when she only got two bags of groceries?" which is where the certainty level on this subject is, you are thinking politically not scientifically.
I think there's a little more certainty than that....
I did say we'd probably never know for sure as long as the Chinese Government is involved. I think the better analogy is you know your wife spent the night in a hotel room with an ex boyfriend. She lied about it and continues to lie about it. Did she bang this other dude? Well you can't know for sure but you'd be foolish to trust her....
  1. We know the Virus Came from Wuhan China
  2. We know there is a Lab in Wuhan (Wuhan Institute of Virology) that studies Corona Virus's (The head scientist there has the nickname "Bat Woman")
  3. We know they were doing GOF at the lab.
  4. We know the US gave them money from an affiliate (The Eco Health Alliance) of the NIH to do GOF Research (Bat Woman has acknowledged that she received about $1.2MM from the US)
  5. China claims that the Covid Strain afflicting the world wasn't being studied at the Wuhan lab but we literally just have to take their word for it. (Peter Daszak Admitted as much in an 60 Minutes interview w/ Leslie Stahl)
  6. We know Fauci personally pushed to change the rules so that the US could fund GOF Research in about 2014.
  7. We know from Fauci's emails he was incredibly concerned about a leak in the early days of the pandemic.
  8. The one person the US Sent to China (Peter Daszak) worked for the Eco Health Alliance and was responsible for the labs funding of US $'s. He was incredibly biased w/ a huge conflict of interest.
  9. Daszak also personally recruited prominent scientist to "debunk" Lab Leak theory in a statement issued on The Lancet in FEB of 2020 (he also sent emails to other scientist specifically asking that they NOT sign the statement because it would seem to obviously tied to Eco Health. )
  10. Finally Read the Fact Sheet issued by the US State Department in Jan of this year: https://2017-2021.state.gov/fact-sheet-activity-at-the-wuhan-institute-of-virology/index.html It says what I'm saying...that we will never no for sure...but that a lab leak is a plausible and likely explanation for what happened.

I'm not an expert in GOF research. I don't have to be do understand the items above. None of which are in question.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011
https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1418194385473265664
I sincerely hope full FDA approval holds some kind of gravitas for all those who have complained about the vaccine being done too fast and not having full approval. Sadly, I believe the goal posts will continue to be unattainable by the kooks.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
I sincerely hope full FDA approval holds some kind of gravitas for all those who have complained about the vaccine being done too fast and not having full approval. Sadly, I believe the goal posts will continue to be unattainable by the kooks.
Have we truly reached the point that expecting a substance that is being injected into your body to have FDA approval gets you labeled as a kook?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
People who are in better shape are at lower risk. We have known this for a while. What we don't know is if a 60 year old with a BMI of 45 who hasn't exercised in 20 years can lower his risk by starting to exercise. My guess is: 1) not by much, 2) it's a good idea from a general health standpoint, and 3) his best bet is to be fully vaccinated.

Or, 4) never let yourself get to that point… and rock 60 yrs old with a BMI of 22, spend 45 - 60 min in the gym DAILY, enjoy every outdoor activity possible, AND be vaccinated.
Nice piece of virtue signaling, but it is not helpful to people who are at that point. There is no way to go back in time.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Have we truly reached the point that expecting a substance that is being injected into your body to have FDA approval gets you labeled as a kook?
No pharmacy anywhere can dispense or administer a medication that isn't FDA approved. Yet, pharmacies everywhere are giving COVID-19 vaccinations. Methinks you do not understand the approval process.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
No pharmacy anywhere can dispense or administer a medication that isn't FDA approved. Yet, pharmacies everywhere are giving COVID-19 vaccinations. Methinks you do not understand the approval process.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/...da-approval.html?auth=link-dismiss-google1tap

Per the article:Even as President Biden, the C.D.C. and virtually the entire scientific community are urging — pleading with, even — Americans to get vaccinated, the government has not formally approved any vaccine. The Food and Drug Administration has instead given only “emergency use authorization” to the shots from Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson. That’s a temporary form of approval that allows people to receive shots while the agency continues to study their effectiveness and safety.

Methinks maybe you don't.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/...da-approval.html?auth=link-dismiss-google1tap

Per the article:Even as President Biden, the C.D.C. and virtually the entire scientific community are urging — pleading with, even — Americans to get vaccinated, the government has not formally approved any vaccine. The Food and Drug Administration has instead given only “emergency use authorization” to the shots from Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson. That’s a temporary form of approval that allows people to receive shots while the agency continues to study their effectiveness and safety.

Methinks maybe you don't.
So, then, oh wise one, tell me what is required for EUA.