Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Where is the data that diet and exercise minimize the risks of COVID-19?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/obesity-and-covid-19.html
We know obesity increases risk, but it does not ergo follow that diet and exercise decrease risk. That requires an entirely separate set of data looking at the effectiveness of diet and exercise on outcomes. So, again I ask, where is the data?

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
You are correct in that and this is just Jan - March 2020

View attachment 91059
I'm happy to assign Trump his share of the blame. Can you assign any to anyone else? Do you see the irony at all here? Did you read the article I posted in my first post? Democrats and the media's response to Trump and their gleeful embrace of covid to get him out of office is part of the reason you are seeing the distrust. How can you not see this?

Oct 11, 2006
Owasso, OK
We know obesity increases risk, but it does not ergo follow that diet and exercise decrease risk. That requires an entirely separate set of data looking at the effectiveness of diet and exercise on outcomes. So, again I ask, where is the data?

From the same CDC link:

Steps to Take Now
Systemic change takes time, as does long-term weight loss. In addition to the steps everyone should take to slow the spread of COVID-19, individuals can help protect themselves and their families during this pandemic by:

Eating a healthy diet
Eating a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains as well as the appropriate amount of calories is important for your health, and can help with weight loss and preventing weight gain.7 Good nutrition can help support optimal immune function.8,9 A healthy diet can help prevent or support self-management of diseases such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes7, which also increase the risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
Being active
Regular physical activity helps you feel better, sleep better, and reduce anxiety. It can also help with preventing weight gain and when combined with calorie reduction, helps with weight loss.10 Physical activity can also help prevent diseases that increase a person’s chances of having severe illness from COVID-19 such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes.10 Emerging research suggests it may also help boost immune function.11,12

It literally does follow that diet and exercise decrease risk.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

From the same CDC link:

Steps to Take Now
Systemic change takes time, as does long-term weight loss. In addition to the steps everyone should take to slow the spread of COVID-19, individuals can help protect themselves and their families during this pandemic by:

Eating a healthy diet
Eating a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains as well as the appropriate amount of calories is important for your health, and can help with weight loss and preventing weight gain.7 Good nutrition can help support optimal immune function.8,9 A healthy diet can help prevent or support self-management of diseases such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes7, which also increase the risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
Being active
Regular physical activity helps you feel better, sleep better, and reduce anxiety. It can also help with preventing weight gain and when combined with calorie reduction, helps with weight loss.10 Physical activity can also help prevent diseases that increase a person’s chances of having severe illness from COVID-19 such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes.10 Emerging research suggests it may also help boost immune function.11,12

It literally does follow that diet and exercise decrease risk.
Did you happen to read all the way through to "suggests may improve immune function"? "Suggests" is pretty specific scientific language meaning that the question is not settled. And even if it does boost immune function, that is no guarantee that it will boost the specific immune function necessary to battle COVID-19.

Diet and exercise reduce risk of heart disease. How much and over what time period? And if a person has heart disease, how much does diet and exercise reduce risk of COVID-19 complications? What diet and exercise is necessary to realize that benefit and for how long does it have to be sustained to decrease COVID-19 risk?

Decreasing cholesterol reduces risk of heart attack. Atromid-S was very effective at reducing cholesterol, but it is no longer on the market. Why?

The CDC recommendation is a good one for improving cardiovascular health, but, no, it doesn't ergo follow that diet and exercise reduce risks for COVID-19. That requires an entirely separate data set. I am asking a different question than the one you are answering.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
the sheer volume high level GOP and highly conservative news outlets who have pulled a complete 180 on their wording about the Vaxx in the last 48 hours is something else.

I'm thinking the GOP has gotten a strong message from somewhere to change the tune and attitude toward COVID and the Vaxx

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1417933647320072192

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
the sheer volume high level GOP and highly conservative news outlets who have pulled a complete 180 on their wording about the Vaxx in the last 48 hours is something else.

I'm thinking the GOP has gotten a strong message from somewhere to change the tune and attitude toward COVID and the Vaxx

As someone said earlier, they got their message from the stock market.

Oct 11, 2006
Owasso, OK
Did you happen to read all the way through to "suggests may improve immune function"? "Suggests" is pretty specific scientific language meaning that the question is not settled. And even if it does boost immune function, that is no guarantee that it will boost the specific immune function necessary to battle COVID-19.

Diet and exercise reduce risk of heart disease. How much and over what time period? And if a person has heart disease, how much does diet and exercise reduce risk of COVID-19 complications? What diet and exercise is necessary to realize that benefit and for how long does it have to be sustained to decrease COVID-19 risk?

Decreasing cholesterol reduces risk of heart attack. Atromid-S was very effective at reducing cholesterol, but it is no longer on the market. Why?

The CDC recommendation is a good one for improving cardiovascular health, but, no, it doesn't ergo follow that diet and exercise reduce risks for COVID-19. That requires an entirely separate data set. I am asking a different question than the one you are answering.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33529978/

Abstract
We present a hypothesis for increased sugar consumption and a lack of physical exercise as possible determinants of COVID-19 disease severity by impaired glucose metabolism, concurring into a syndemic. National data demonstrate that increased sugar consumption, a high daily caloric intake, and low levels of daily physical activity are independently associated with COVID-19 mortality. Further, genetic factors such as variations in the androgen receptor may compound the effects of an unhealthy lifestyle and increase the risk of severe COVID-19 symptoms in some patients. A diet high in sugar in combination with a low level of physical activity may increase blood glucose levels and impair glucose metabolism. Recent data show that patients admitted to the hospital with high levels of fasting blood glucose are at an increased risk for severe COVID-19 symptoms. Moreover, elevated glucose levels resulted in increased SARS-CoV-2 viral loads in vitro. We believe that healthier habits of diet and exercise, by improving glucose homeostasis could modulate the individual risk of severe COVID-19 symptoms.

Maybe not adequate for you, but attempting to answer your question. You asked for data, not proof.

Last edited:

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
You can look down your nose at your fellow country men all you want it's not going to make them change their minds. Because frankly they have every reason to believe that yet another NOBLE LIE is being forced down their throat. That the truth about the efficacy and side effects and long term issues that could pop up are completely unknown.

You guys can take this info or leave it. I'm just trying to help you understand.
What would make them change their minds? We've tried begging, pleading, coercing, free drinks, free weed, free money. We have billboards, commercials, youtube videos, tv specials, new conferences, newpaper ads, text alerts, emails. We've tried browbeating, intellectual discourse, science based reasoning, appeals to God, appeals to Trump, appeals to Biden, appeals to anti-Chinese sentiments, appeals to pro-neighbor sentiment, protecting the elderly, protecting children, protecting health care workers, as admission to concerts, as admission to sporting events, as a way to 'get back to normal', as a way to drop mask mandates, as a way to see your family without hurting them, as a way to get kids back to school, as a way to get back to work, as a way to open up bars and restaurants. And my personal favorite, we tried to tell the truth. "COVID is dangerous. It probably won't kill you. But it has the potential to kill millions of at-risk American's and to overwhelm our resources that let us maintain a functioning health system."

None of that has helped to reach those who still won't get the vaccine.

So help us understand. What haven't we tried? What could we say or do to make more people get vaccinated? Please enlighten us. Because not getting the vaccine due to someone 'looking down their nose' at you just puts me back at my statement earlier. "We get the world we deserve and it would appear that we are too stupid to have anything better."

UrbanCowboy1

Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

This would have been great to hear 6 months ago. A concerted effort could have done wonders for us. Better late than never.

UrbanCowboy1

Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

I think at this point you're arguing less with @Tall Cowboy and more with the CDC. He posted from their own link that it says "Physical activity can also help prevent diseases that increase a person’s chances of having severe illness from COVID-19 such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes." He didn't write that or make it up.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
What would make them change their minds? We've tried begging, pleading, coercing, free drinks, free weed, free money. We have billboards, commercials, youtube videos, tv specials, new conferences, newpaper ads, text alerts, emails. We've tried browbeating, intellectual discourse, science based reasoning, appeals to God, appeals to Trump, appeals to Biden, appeals to anti-Chinese sentiments, appeals to pro-neighbor sentiment, protecting the elderly, protecting children, protecting health care workers, as admission to concerts, as admission to sporting events, as a way to 'get back to normal', as a way to drop mask mandates, as a way to see your family without hurting them, as a way to get kids back to school, as a way to get back to work, as a way to open up bars and restaurants. And my personal favorite, we tried to tell the truth. "COVID is dangerous. It probably won't kill you. But it has the potential to kill millions of at-risk American's and to overwhelm our resources that let us maintain a functioning health system."

None of that has helped to reach those who still won't get the vaccine.

So help us understand. What haven't we tried? What could we say or do to make more people get vaccinated? Please enlighten us. Because not getting the vaccine due to someone 'looking down their nose' at you just puts me back at my statement earlier. "We get the world we deserve and it would appear that we are too stupid to have anything better."
Well for starters....

I would be honest. (They haven't been nearly as honest as you claim) The likely hood that this escaped from the lab in Wuhan is very high. We were funding research on GOF there. We should be totally transparent about that. I don't think we'll ever really know all of the details as long as China is involved, but Fauci's continued lying about this is hurting. I think he should be fired honestly. If your wife cheated on you and you knew it, would you take her back while she insisted she wasn't cheating and was still cheating?

2nd..All this talk about being allowed into concerts sporting events etc...That's got to stop right Effing now.
The very idea of a vaccine passport type system similar to the social credit score system that China has only pushes the narrative of a "plandemic" even further. If you've got the vax I don't see why you should care if the guy next to you at the ballgame does or does not. He can measure his risk and I can measure mine before I step out the door every day.

Your points above about protecting children? Seems to me we've done the opposite. We sacrificed their educations and phycological health when they were never in danger. We've known that for a year. Didn't stop the unions from keeping their teachers out of classrooms. They leveraged this as much as possible. So for me step 3 would be disband teachers unions (actually all public unions but I'd settle for this)

Finally...guess what guys? Not everyone is going to get the vaccine. We are all going to have to accept that. The good news is that anyone who wants a vax can get one.

Mar 11, 2006
Your points above about protecting children? Seems to me we've done the opposite. We sacrificed their educations and phycological health when they were never in danger. We've known that for a year. Didn't stop the unions from keeping their teachers out of classrooms. They leveraged this as much as possible. So for me step 3 would be disband teachers unions (actually all public unions but I'd settle for this)
Amen, brother. Truth.

Mar 11, 2006

Did Rubio say something previously about not getting vaccinated? Previously you posted something about McConnell and Hannity. While I am more of a reader of news than watch cable news, McConnell, Rubio and Hannity appear to have a long history of being pro-vaccine.

I am not discounting or ignoring there are certainly some loons on the fringe that are anti-vaxxers, but I don't recall a high level GOP person as an anti-vaxxer. Who am I forgetting that is a high level GOP member that has publicly pushed back against the vaccine?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Did Rubio say something previously about not getting vaccinated? Previously you posted something about McConnell and Hannity. While I am more of a reader of news than watch cable news, McConnell, Rubio and Hannity appear to have a long history of being pro-vaccine.

I am not discounting or ignoring there are certainly some loons on the fringe that are anti-vaxxers, but I don't recall a high level GOP person as an anti-vaxxer. Who am I forgetting that is a high level GOP member that has publicly pushed back against the vaccine?
I'm not the only one who has noticed this..they noticed a week or two before I did

https://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-gop-covid-vaccines-red-states-mitt-romney-2021-7

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/14/us/politics/gop-covid-vaccine.html

Oct 30, 2007
I'm not sure about diet, but It looks like there is some evidence that exercising can reduce the risk of developing severe COVID.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/14/regular-exercise-can-reduce-your-risk-of-severe-covid-study.html
Regular exercise can reduce your risk of developing severe Covid: study
In a new study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, researchers and physicians at Kaiser Permanente Fontana Medical Center in Southern California, the University of California, San Diego, and other institutions found that Covid patients who regularly exercised before becoming sick were the least likely to be hospitalized, admitted to the ICU and die as a result of their illness.

The study looked at data from nearly 50,000 adult patients in California diagnosed with Covid-19 from January 2020 to the end of October 2020.

To measure activity levels, researchers asked each patient to self-report how many minutes they exercised each week. After analyzing their weekly physical activity with their Covid-19 response, researchers found that patients who were consistently inactive (less than 10 minutes a week) had a greater risk of hospitalization, admission to the ICU and death than those who worked out 150-plus minutes a week.

“Even after we controlled for variables such as obesity and smoking in the analysis, we still saw inactivity was strongly associated with much higher odds of hospitalization, ICU admission, and death compared with moderate physical activity or any activity at all,” Dr. Robert E, Sallis, a family and sports medicine physician at the Kaiser Permanente Fontana Medical Center, who conducted the study, tells CNBC Make It.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33529978/

Abstract
We present a hypothesis for increased sugar consumption and a lack of physical exercise as possible determinants of COVID-19 disease severity by impaired glucose metabolism, concurring into a syndemic. National data demonstrate that increased sugar consumption, a high daily caloric intake, and low levels of daily physical activity are independently associated with COVID-19 mortality. Further, genetic factors such as variations in the androgen receptor may compound the effects of an unhealthy lifestyle and increase the risk of severe COVID-19 symptoms in some patients. A diet high in sugar in combination with a low level of physical activity may increase blood glucose levels and impair glucose metabolism. Recent data show that patients admitted to the hospital with high levels of fasting blood glucose are at an increased risk for severe COVID-19 symptoms. Moreover, elevated glucose levels resulted in increased SARS-CoV-2 viral loads in vitro. We believe that healthier habits of diet and exercise, by improving glucose homeostasis could modulate the individual risk of severe COVID-19 symptoms.

Maybe not adequate for you, but attempting to answer your question. You asked for data, not proof.
Note the language "we believe..." at that point you're reading opinion. This adds clarity to what elevates risks, but not what lowers them.

We know the vaccines do.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I'm not sure about diet, but It looks like there is some evidence that exercising can reduce the risk of developing severe COVID.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/14/regular-exercise-can-reduce-your-risk-of-severe-covid-study.html
Regular exercise can reduce your risk of developing severe Covid: study
In a new study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, researchers and physicians at Kaiser Permanente Fontana Medical Center in Southern California, the University of California, San Diego, and other institutions found that Covid patients who regularly exercised before becoming sick were the least likely to be hospitalized, admitted to the ICU and die as a result of their illness.

The study looked at data from nearly 50,000 adult patients in California diagnosed with Covid-19 from January 2020 to the end of October 2020.

To measure activity levels, researchers asked each patient to self-report how many minutes they exercised each week. After analyzing their weekly physical activity with their Covid-19 response, researchers found that patients who were consistently inactive (less than 10 minutes a week) had a greater risk of hospitalization, admission to the ICU and death than those who worked out 150-plus minutes a week.

“Even after we controlled for variables such as obesity and smoking in the analysis, we still saw inactivity was strongly associated with much higher odds of hospitalization, ICU admission, and death compared with moderate physical activity or any activity at all,” Dr. Robert E, Sallis, a family and sports medicine physician at the Kaiser Permanente Fontana Medical Center, who conducted the study, tells CNBC Make It.
People who are in better shape are at lower risk. We have known this for a while. What we don't know is if a 60 year old with a BMI of 45 who hasn't exercised in 20 years can lower his risk by starting to exercise. My guess is: 1) not by much, 2) it's a good idea from a general health standpoint, and 3) his best bet is to be fully vaccinated.

Mar 11, 2006
So who are the high level GOP people that were anti-vax and did a 180? I am interested because I want to know who not to vote for. I genuinely don’t know of a high-level GOP person that has been an anti-vaxxer. Who are you referring to — you said “sheer volume of high level GOP who pulled a 180”.