Consolidated Basketball Recruiting 2021

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, CO
I really like the potential of this team. If some combination of MAM, Walker, Thompson, Smith, Newton have the usual FR to SO bump, I can envision a sweet 16 run. Another big who can average 8/6 or so and play decent defense would be huge.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Stretch 5's are hard to come by at the collegiate level.

Michael Durr, who I understand is the only true 5 OSU is in contact with (who really knows, though?), attempted 20 3's last season at USF. He only made 4.

So... maybe it's something he's trying to add to his game. Doesn't seem anywhere near reliable but maybe Boynton likes the potential there?

Also, Tyreek Smith appears to be focusing on extending his range. Not a 5 by any means, but still a potential stretch 4.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Lol. I didn't say it would be easy to find, but that would be ideal. Tyreek Smith will be playing a lot of 5 this next season as well imo.
Yeah, I see Tyreek playing the majority of his minutes at the 5.

I don't know that this is the correct thread, but Boynton said something interesting about Smith after he committed - "An untapped skillset that will allow our offense to flow well."

Reading between the lines, do you think Boynton is talking about running more of his motion offense he ran his first few seasons? We got away from that with Cade because he needs PnR touches, but I'm wondering if he's thinking about running it more and putting Smith in the pinch post like Mitchell Solomon. Smith is a better shooter (maybe), passer, and athlete than any other forward on the roster. I'm just thinking he might be envisioning Smith creating out top.

Probably me just ovethinking lol

Sep 23, 2010

I don't know that this is the correct thread, but Boynton said something interesting about Smith after he committed - "An untapped skillset that will allow our offense to flow well."

Reading between the lines, do you think Boynton is talking about running more of his motion offense he ran his first few seasons? We got away from that with Cade because he needs PnR touches, but I'm wondering if he's thinking about running it more and putting Smith in the pinch post like Mitchell Solomon. Smith is a better shooter (maybe), passer, and athlete than any other forward on the roster. I'm just thinking he might be envisioning Smith creating out top.

I don't see Boynton going back to the Spread. I think it means when he's up there at the top in handoffs and pick and pops, or reject and pops. Our offense improved so much last year (granted we had much better players), I don't see us going away from what worked with most of the personnel returning. If anything, our players will improve on the nuances of the pro friendly system. And this is a much better system to recruit to as well.

If Bryce Thompson breaks out this year, that should help in recruiting to show how we can showcase a guard's skillset with back to back 5-star kids.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

I don't see Boynton going back to the Spread. I think it means when he's up there at the top in handoffs and pick and pops, or reject and pops. Our offense improved so much last year (granted we had much better players), I don't see us going away from what worked with most of the personnel returning. If anything, our players will improve on the nuances of the pro friendly system. And this is a much better system to recruit to as well.

If Bryce Thompson breaks out this year, that should help in recruiting to show how we can showcase a guard's skillset with back to back 5-star kids.
I hope you're correct. I agree with everything you said.

The spread motion isn't a very Bryce Thompson friendly system. He needs PnR and Iso touches to get to his spots. Same with Anderson.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina

Michael Durr, who I understand is the only true 5 OSU is in contact with (who really knows, though?), attempted 20 3's last season at USF. He only made 4.

So... maybe it's something he's trying to add to his game. Doesn't seem anywhere near reliable but maybe Boynton likes the potential there?

Also, Tyreek Smith appears to be focusing on extending his range. Not a 5 by any means, but still a potential stretch 4.

Lol. I didn't say it would be easy to find, but that would be ideal. Tyreek Smith will be playing a lot of 5 this next season as well imo.

I don’t think you can objectively say at this point Tyreek is a better athlete, shooter, or passer than Kalib Boone. Boone had an insanely good season last year, the only thing lacking was consistency. If Tyreek was all the things you said he is then he would have earned more minutes at Tech. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited we got Tyreek, but let’s not crown him as an all conference,NBa draft pick type guy yet. Because that’s what Kalib is, he’s in a lot of mock drafts for next year and I’d put money on him being one of the three all conference teams. And I know Boynton said great things about Tyreek, but you have to take a lot of that as coach speak. No way Boynton says something close to the truth, like, “Tyreek is a great talent with high upside, but he just didn’t get a chance to really display that at Tech, we hope he continues to develop though”.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

I don’t think you can objectively say at this point Tyreek is a better athlete, shooter, or passer than Kalib Boone. Boone had an insanely good season last year, the only thing lacking was consistency. If Tyreek was all the things you said he is then he would have earned more minutes at Tech. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited we got Tyreek, but let’s not crown him as an all conference,NBa draft pick type guy yet. Because that’s what Kalib is, he’s in a lot of mock drafts for next year and I’d put money on him being one of the three all conference teams. And I know Boynton said great things about Tyreek, but you have to take a lot of that as coach speak. No way Boynton says something close to the truth, like, “Tyreek is a great talent with high upside, but he just didn’t get a chance to really display that at Tech, we hope he continues to develop though”.
Oh, I by no means think Tyreek Smith is better than Kalib Boone. And, even if I did, they're two very different players.

I was just meaning that Smith's "untapped skillset" Boynton mentioned would work well in the spread motion we used to run. Smith is a better shooter (to what extent, we don't know yet) and passer than Boone, and actually has some ability to attack closeouts off the dribble. So if Boynton wanted to put a big in the pinch post and run a bunch of cutters/DHO's around him, Smith would be a better fit for that role than Boone.

I think Boone is a really good player, but he doesn't have the vision, playmaking, or shooting ability that Smith projects to have. Boone just gets buckets in the post and as the dive man in PnR.

Just different guys who do different things.

Mar 27, 2008
I wonder if he has reached out to us or if we have reached out to him. We do need a center and he is an elite shot blocker. I don't know what terms he left on though, or if we would even bother since he transfered out the first time. He was a good kid from everything I saw when he was here.