Consolidated Basketball Recruiting 2021

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I actively don’t want Wheeler. Why do we want another ball dominant guard that can’t shoot? Sure, he’s a good player, but that type of player is not conducive to the team getting better (when we already have those guys).

But with how desperate KU is for a point guard, I’m confident wheeler will end up there. But then again, I know nothing about LSU’s situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 1, 2007
Denver, CO
I actively don’t want Wheeler. Why do we want another ball dominant guard that can’t shoot? Sure, he’s a good player, but that type of player is not conducive to the team getting better (when we already have those guys).

But with how desperate KU is for a point guard, I’m confident wheeler will end up there. But then again, I know nothing about LSU’s situation.

Agreed. Maybe if Harris/D. Williams were to transfer out you take him(he would be a nice addition for this year and great for 2022-2023), but if only one scholly is available you need to use it on a big.

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater

Yeah I don't understand Boone's article about Wheeler. Specifically "If Wheeler wants a clear path to a starting job, that path is likely through Stillwater, not Lexington."

I don't buy that wheelers would take Ice's starting spot. I'd much rather land the Center from USF

Jun 9, 2008
The Water

Well said. We don’t need a 5’8 guard who shot 30% from 3 last year. Need another big body, someone who can hold their own in the paint. The teams OSU struggled with last year, Kansas, TCU, Oregon State, and Texas all had true centers. Adding a true strong center to the this roster would allow OSU to play any style and counter any style.

Sep 23, 2010
A guy that can guard a 5 and still stretch the floor with the 3 ball would be ideal I think. Doesn't have to be a great low post player but could do that would go a long ways.

Maybe the role Maurice Calloo did for Oregon State in the tourney.

Sep 23, 2010
Different Structure of how we are put together now....

Starters
AA
Thompson
Ice
MAM
Kalib

Guard Sub -- Walker, (Bryce Williams if he decides to return)
3/4 Sub -- Keylan, Newton
4/5 Sub -- Tyreek Smith
Emergency 5 -- Kouma
Wild Cards -- Harris, D. Williams

Pretty nice squad with one left to give. Plenty of talent there

Sep 23, 2010
Imagine if MAM makes a jump like AA did from Fresh to Soph year.
MAM and Walker both have incredible upside. They have enough talent to be All Big 12 type guys before they are done. Boone has already shown to have big nights, just needs more consistency. But MAM in particular has the athletic ability to be a pro. Very raw and needs development.

Aug 19, 2006

Starters
AA
Thompson
Ice
MAM
Kalib

4/5 Sub -- Tyreek Smith
Emergency 5 -- Kouma

A lot of depth there. Who's your point guard and who's his backup? Ice then AA?

If Harris and D. Williams come back healthy, it seems like we're a little overloaded at the 2 / 3. Especially if Williams returns. Sure would have been nice to see Yor with this team. He and Kalid would have been a great 1-2 punch against teams with multiple bigs.

With that last scholly, would you rather go with a pure 1 (Wheeler) or a 5 that might be a project? If Wheeler comes here, I'm not sure he starts ahead of Ice. When Ice is healthy he's pretty special. Not sure he's a good fit to come off the bench.

I'd probably lean toward finding another big even he needs a year to develop.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater

Starters
AA
Thompson
Ice
MAM
Kalib

4/5 Sub -- Tyreek Smith
Emergency 5 -- Kouma

Gimme a true C and that's a sweet 16 squad :runaway:

Sep 23, 2010

If Harris and D. Williams come back healthy, it seems like we're a little overloaded at the 2 / 3. Especially if Williams returns. Sure would have been nice to see Yor with this team. He and Kalid would have been a great 1-2 punch against teams with multiple bigs.

With that last scholly, would you rather go with a pure 1 (Wheeler) or a 5 that might be a project? If Wheeler comes here, I'm not sure he starts ahead of Ice. When Ice is healthy he's pretty special. Not sure he's a good fit to come off the bench.

I think it's PG by committee much like this past year. I see all 3 being ballhandlers at times. If I had to pick the primary, it's going to be Ice because Ice is less effective off the ball with his shooting woes. I also think Thompson will be handling it some because I believe we probably sold him on that as well. All that being said, I truly believe Walker can compete for the starting spot in there as well -- obviously not as a primary ballhandler though.

Last scholly, we have to use it now. It use to be when you had his type of depth, you pocket it for midseason transfer. But with the portal, those days are over. I just don't see Wheeler coming now that we've secured Thompson. You already see the crowded backcourt, especially if Harris and D. Williams develop into viable options as well. I said previously, the ideal guy would be someone who's capable of defending the 5 position well and who can stretch the floor with a 3 ball. That would really make our roster extremely well rounded.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

I think it's PG by committee much like this past year. I see all 3 being ballhandlers at times. If I had to pick the primary, it's going to be Ice because Ice is less effective off the ball with his shooting woes. I also think Thompson will be handling it some because I believe we probably sold him on that as well. All that being said, I truly believe Walker can compete for the starting spot in there as well -- obviously not as a primary ballhandler though.

Last scholly, we have to use it now. It use to be when you had his type of depth, you pocket it for midseason transfer. But with the portal, those days are over. I just don't see Wheeler coming now that we've secured Thompson. You already see the crowded backcourt, especially if Harris and D. Williams develop into viable options as well. I said previously, the ideal guy would be someone who's capable of defending the 5 position well and who can stretch the floor with a 3 ball. That would really make our roster extremely well rounded.
Stretch 5's are hard to come by at the collegiate level.

Michael Durr, who I understand is the only true 5 OSU is in contact with (who really knows, though?), attempted 20 3's last season at USF. He only made 4.

So... maybe it's something he's trying to add to his game. Doesn't seem anywhere near reliable but maybe Boynton likes the potential there?

Also, Tyreek Smith appears to be focusing on extending his range. Not a 5 by any means, but still a potential stretch 4.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City

Umm we weren't PG by committee this last year. Cade Cunningham was our PG and is the #1 pick in the NBA draft. Now yes I agree PG by committee approach this coming season.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City

Starters
AA
Thompson
Ice
MAM
Kalib

4/5 Sub -- Tyreek Smith
Emergency 5 -- Kouma

I agree except for Ice needs to come off the bench and start Bryce Williams and Bryce Thompson with AA. Rondel Walker has outside shot starting. Either way Walker and ICe off the bench would be bigtime!
Talented squad!

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

Starters
AA
Thompson
Ice
MAM
Kalib

4/5 Sub -- Tyreek Smith
Emergency 5 -- Kouma

I agree except for Ice needs to come off the bench and start Bryce Williams and Bryce Thompson with AA. Rondel Walker has outside shot starting. Either way Walker and ICe off the bench would be bigtime!
Talented squad!
Ice is starting

Sep 23, 2010
Umm we weren't PG by committee this last year. Cade Cunningham was our PG and is the #1 pick in the NBA draft. Now yes I agree PG by committee approach this coming season.
I would say at least 30% of the time Cade did not bring the ball up floor. AA would bring it. Ice would bring it. Heck, Bryce Williams would initiate offense sometimes.

Sep 23, 2010
Talented squad!
Don't know if Bryce Williams will be back. I think Walker leap frogs him next year, but that's obviously up for debate and yet to be seen.

Sep 23, 2010
Stretch 5's are hard to come by at the collegiate level.

Michael Durr, who I understand is the only true 5 OSU is in contact with (who really knows, though?), attempted 20 3's last season at USF. He only made 4.

So... maybe it's something he's trying to add to his game. Doesn't seem anywhere near reliable but maybe Boynton likes the potential there?

Also, Tyreek Smith appears to be focusing on extending his range. Not a 5 by any means, but still a potential stretch 4.

Lol. I didn't say it would be easy to find, but that would be ideal. Tyreek Smith will be playing a lot of 5 this next season as well imo.