Consolidated Basketball Recruiting 2021

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
So a quick recap so far for 2021 Recruiting and Roster management. Our roster has been upgraded in every spot beside Cade's, and we at least replaced his spot with a 5 star talent in Bryce Thompson. Smith is an upgrade over Pena. Newton is an upgrade over Flavors. And then we would assume all returners will be at least a slight upgrade from the 20-21 versions of themselves (AA, Ice, Walker, B Williams, D Williams, C Harris, Boone twins, Kouma). I would say overall we have had a roster upgrade despite losing the best player in the country. And we still have one scholly to give.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
So a quick recap so far for 2021 Recruiting and Roster management. Our roster has been upgraded in every spot beside Cade's, and we at least replaced his spot with a 5 star talent in Bryce Thompson. Smith is an upgrade over Pena. Newton is an upgrade over Flavors. And then we would assume all returners will be at least a slight upgrade from the 20-21 versions of themselves (AA, Ice, Walker, B Williams, D Williams, C Harris, Boone twins, Kouma). I would say overall we have had a roster upgrade despite losing the best player in the country. And we still have one scholly to give.
If only we could get a legit big man to come round it out.

Sep 23, 2010
I can agree with this. I would say the most intriguing thing about him is his combination of size to help against large centers we run against. And, he can shoot the 3 ball well to keep spacing for us on offense.

6'11 230. Shot 36% from 3, making one 3 per game. Was just a freshmen last year.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I can agree with this. I would say the most intriguing thing about him is his combination of size to help against large centers we run against. And, he can shoot the 3 ball well to keep spacing for us on offense.

6'11 230. Shot 36% from 3, making one 3 per game. Was just a freshmen last year.
Suppose we land him...

Do he and Kalib start together?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2010
Suppose we land him...

I don't think that would be wise at all. MAM makes more sense at the 4. But it could be done at times if we believe Kalib can chase some smaller players around on defense. And I'm not sure what that would to our offense.

But we would have someone to hold Kalib accountable for when he's not engaged and getting in foul trouble often. Smith might be able to do that anyways, but Kouma is not. Towards the end of Kalib's freshman year, between he and Yor, we got a good 40 minutes out of the 5 spot based on who was playing well that game. Could be similar to this upcoming season. We had some real issues at first part of the year when Kalib played poorly and wasn't very engaged.

Like what's been mentioned before, there could be some chemistry issues that arise with this as well.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Suppose we land him...

I don't think that would be wise at all. MAM makes more sense at the 4. But it could be done at times if we believe Kalib can chase some smaller players around on defense. And I'm not sure what that would to our offense.

But we would have someone to hold Kalib accountable for when he's not engaged and getting in foul trouble often. Smith might be able to do that anyways, but Kouma is not. Towards the end of Kalib's freshman year, between he and Yor, we got a good 40 minutes out of the 5 spot based on who was playing well that game. Could be similar to this upcoming season. We had some real issues at first part of the year when Kalib played poorly and wasn't very engaged.

Like what's been mentioned before, there could be some chemistry issues that arise with this as well.
Yeah, I think they can play together offensively pretty easily. Garcia provides much more spacing than MAM does and should be comfortable away from the paint.

Defensively, they are a questionable fit at best.

I just don't see Garcia coming to Stillwater to come off the bench, and I don't see Kalib being happy giving up his starting spot.

Sep 23, 2010
Yeah, I think they can play together offensively pretty easily. Garcia provides much more spacing than MAM does and should be comfortable away from the paint.

I just don't see Garcia coming to Stillwater to come off the bench, and I don't see Kalib being happy giving up his starting spot.

Lol, none of the returning starters will be happy about losing a starting spot.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

Well, yeah, of course. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this scenario, Kalib would be the only returning starter losing his spot.

2020-21:
Anderson
Ice
Cade
MAM
Kalib

2021-22:
Anderson
Ice
Thompson
MAM
Garcia

And not to be an armchair psychologist, but Kalib doesn't seem the type to take that in stride. He tends to fade out of games if things aren't going his way.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

Well, yeah, of course. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this scenario, Kalib would be the only returning starter losing his spot.

2020-21:
Anderson
Ice
Cade
MAM
Kalib

2021-22:
Anderson
Ice
Thompson
MAM
Garcia

And not to be an armchair psychologist, but Kalib doesn't seem the type to take that in stride. He tends to fade out of games if things aren't going his way.

I mean, Bryce Williams was a starter just as much as MAM was last season and he’ll probably be starting too over Thompson.***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
From 247: At a listed 6-foot-11, 230 pounds, Garcia projects as an NBA power forward offensively but may have trouble finding his spot on the defensive end of the floor — he's not much of a shot blocker.

With his size and range, he could probably play the 4 or 5 in college. I would love to see him come here and have a 3 man frontcourt rotation of Garcia, Boone, & MAM. It wouldn't really matter who started as long as they all got a lot of minutes. The odd man out would probably be Kouma.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
I mean, Bryce Williams was a starter just as much as MAM was last season and he’ll probably be starting too over Thompson.***

I love Bryce Williams, but he a great ROLE player and should not be starting over Thompson if everything goes right. Much of Thompson's regression last year, if you could call it that, was because of nagging injuries.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

I love Bryce Williams, but he a great ROLE player and should not be starting over Thompson if everything goes right. Much of Thompson's regression last year, if you could call it that, was because of nagging injuries.
But everything won’t go right, and while Thompson has more potential, meaningful experience will certainly start, especially at the beginning of the year.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
But everything won’t go right, and while Thompson has more potential, meaningful experience will certainly start, especially at the beginning of the year.

If Thompson is not in the starting lineup by conference play i will eat crow then, experience is very good to have, but doesnt always win you games.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

If Thompson is not in the starting lineup by conference play i will eat crow then, experience is very good to have, but doesnt always win you games.
I would venture to say that if he is starting though, and to be clear, I hope he will be, it’ll be in Ice’s place, not Bryce. As always, I think spacing will be the difference maker for this team.