Consolidated Basketball Recruiting 2021

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
I watched some film on both Smith and Newton last night.

Smith really impressed me with his motor and athletic ability. He played pretty much exclusively the 5 for Tech. He can really run the floor. He can really separate on a roll from a ball screen. He moves well without the ball. He's a big upgrade from Kouma. He dunks the ball often, very bouncy. He is not a great finisher at the rim if he can't dunk it. He shoots the 3 like he believes. Almost all his attempts were wide open and in rhythm. He only put the ball on the deck a few times. I see him fitting in well. If Kalib is going through one of his slumps, I see Smith eating up a lot of his minutes for those periods. Big question will be can he defend bigger 5's. But I see him with his active nature doing better than Kalib potentially at guarding those bigger 5's. If he gets consistent with the 3 ball, I can see him playing some 4 at times against bigger line ups.

Newton is not a stretch 4. He is a wing. I guess he can play the 4 if we are going 4 guards but I don't see him fighting anyone in the post. Good athlete but needs the weight room. He and Keylan have similar games but I would say Newton handles it a little better than Keylan. I would say they are similar shooters although Newton's small sample size was better and Newton missed a lot at the end of the season when his confidence was probably low from being out of the rotation. Newton was good in transition. He has good body control. He only played 11 games, and he did not play in very many ACC games. I don't know if he was injured or just out of the rotation completely. You can see that he has some good tools. I would say he's an upgrade over the loss of Flavors for sure just because of his size and versatility. He's mainly a catch and shoot guy in the half court. But in the full court game and on the glass, he brings a lot more than Flavors did.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I watched some film on both Smith and Newton last night.

Smith really impressed me with his motor and athletic ability. He played pretty much exclusively the 5 for Tech. He can really run the floor. He can really separate on a roll from a ball screen. He moves well without the ball. He's a big upgrade from Kouma. He dunks the ball often, very bouncy. He is not a great finisher at the rim if he can't dunk it. He shoots the 3 like he believes. Almost all his attempts were wide open and in rhythm. He only put the ball on the deck a few times. I see him fitting in well. If Kalib is going through one of his slumps, I see Smith eating up a lot of his minutes for those periods. Big question will be can he defend bigger 5's. But I see him with his active nature doing better than Kalib potentially at guarding those bigger 5's. If he gets consistent with the 3 ball, I can see him playing some 4 at times against bigger line ups.

Newton is not a stretch 4. He is a wing. I guess he can play the 4 if we are going 4 guards but I don't see him fighting anyone in the post. Good athlete but needs the weight room. He and Keylan have similar games but I would say Newton handles it a little better than Keylan. I would say they are similar shooters although Newton's small sample size was better and Newton missed a lot at the end of the season when his confidence was probably low from being out of the rotation. Newton was good in transition. He has good body control. He only played 11 games, and he did not play in very many ACC games. I don't know if he was injured or just out of the rotation completely. You can see that he has some good tools. I would say he's an upgrade over the loss of Flavors for sure just because of his size and versatility. He's mainly a catch and shoot guy in the half court. But in the full court game and on the glass, he brings a lot more than Flavors did.
https://twitter.com/Hboog32/status/1335264626716647426?s=19

I know it's only one play, but this is not something that Kalib Boone brings to the table. I think Smith is the most interesting addition of the offseason.

Also, where do you see Newton fitting in the rotation? I don't see a ton of minutes available to him and from the little bit I've seen, his defense didn't looks as stout as Keylan's. You may have gotten a better look at Newton's defensive tape, though.

I'm curious what you're thoughts are for Newton on that side.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2010
https://twitter.com/Hboog32/status/1335264626716647426?s=19

I know it's only one play, but this is not something that Kalib Boone brings to the table. I think Smith is the most interesting addition of the offseason.

Also, where do you see Newton fitting in the rotation? I don't see a ton of minutes available to him and from the little bit I've seen, his defense didn't looks as stout as Keylan's. You may have gotten a better look at Newton's defensive tape, though.

I'm curious what you're thoughts are for Newton on that side.

I saw this play from Smith. I am high on his skillset after watching him.

Newton has a ways to go because I think he will be behind Keylan unless Newton shoots it really well and Keylan does not. I don't see Newton threatening Walker's time or B. Williams (if he plays). So I think the back 4 is where most of Keylan or Newton's minutes will come from. Newton has to get more physical from what I watched. But he was in a 2-3 zone most the time.

Sep 23, 2010
Kevin Samuel??? 6-11, 250 lbs........severe pain in the a** to Pokes down low......now in Transfer Portal. Would be a great "plug & play" for our final scholly!
He caused us a lot of problems. Big, physical and strong. If we plug him in, Kalib could be hitting the portal. Defintely Kouma would hit the portal. The portal makes it tough to bring in big competition for existing starters.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Kevin Samuel??? 6-11, 250 lbs........severe pain in the a** to Pokes down low......now in Transfer Portal. Would be a great "plug & play" for our final scholly!
He caused us a lot of problems. Big, physical and strong. If we plug him in, Kalib could be hitting the portal. Defintely Kouma would hit the portal. The portal makes it tough to bring in big competition for existing starters.
Why would Kalib hit the portal? You know Kalib can has played the 4, right?

Sep 23, 2010
Kalib is not a 4. He would see this a direct threat to his position and playing time, and that's a tough pill to take as junior . You have to consider all things with the portal there.

I'm not saying he would tranfer, but it has to be considered.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
He really hasn’t here. Sutton is right, I think we’re wanting unnecessary luxuries that would risk what we have in-house. I’d rather just for sure keep Kouma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2006
The portal changes the calculus now on all roster decisions. I tend to agree that bringing Samuel in would likely free up two other scholarships and potentially disrupt the team chemistry. Still, we haven't had a skilled big like Samuel in a LONGGGG time. Kalib clearly couldn't bang with the big bodies in our conference.

Have to trust Boynton on this one. He know that locker room better than any of us.

Sep 23, 2010
With the portal, coaches must be in constant communication with the players. They don't want to blindside any of them with their recruiting.

Nov 6, 2010
He really hasn’t here. Sutton is right, I think we’re wanting unnecessary luxuries that would risk what we have in-house. I’d rather just for sure keep Kouma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I noticed quite a bit of improvement from Kouma as the season went along. I think he can be solid in a year or two. Seems he just needed the weight room and some conditioning, but the effort and at least a little bit of coordination/skill seemed to be there. I'm not so sure we're in that dire need of a physical center.

Dec 17, 2011
I noticed quite a bit of improvement from Kouma as the season went along. I think he can be solid in a year or two. Seems he just needed the weight room and some conditioning, but the effort and at least a little bit of coordination/skill seemed to be there. I'm not so sure we're in that dire need of a physical center.
I agree. Kouma has incredible hands too. He is possibly the best big man we have had in a while that doesn't fumble the ball as soon as it's passed to him. He looks to have more body control too (unlike Yor)

Sep 23, 2010
The love for Kouma is getting a little strong. He's really not a Big 12 player but an adequate third big. Coach Boynton believes his best asset is his ability to screen

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
The love for Kouma is getting a little strong. He's really not a Big 12 player but an adequate third big. Coach Boynton believes his best asset is his ability to screen
I agree.

Sure, he has good hands for a big and he has a pretty good frame. Aside from that, he has no Big 12 caliber tools.

Very slow foot speed, very slow lateral quickness, virtually no vertical. Consistently gets lost on defense, although he did seem to improve quite a bit on this late in the season.

His role should be the 3rd big, as you said. He shouldn't be getting anything more than situational minutes.

He is nowhere near Yor Anei.

Nov 6, 2010
I agree.

Sure, he has good hands for a big and he has a pretty good frame. Aside from that, he has no Big 12 caliber tools.

Very slow foot speed, very slow lateral quickness, virtually no vertical. Consistently gets lost on defense, although he did seem to improve quite a bit on this late in the season.

His role should be the 3rd big, as you said. He shouldn't be getting anything more than situational minutes.

He is nowhere near Yor Anei.

But that's the stuff that I think can really improve year over year with the strength and conditioning program. He looks like he has never been in a weight room, so I think there is a lot of improvement possible over the summer.

Sep 23, 2010
But that's the stuff that I think can really improve year over year with the strength and conditioning program. He looks like he has never been in a weight room, so I think there is a lot of improvement possible over the summer.
The real issue are his athletic limitations. He is a below the rim player and conditioning will not have a factor. I would say he's probably in good shape but is just not very athletic so he looks out of shape. But I think he has a role and he currently is fine to fit in that role right now.

My understanding is that he's an awesome locker room guy. Every team needs selfless guys like Kouma.