Coaching Carousel

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
These schools have either fired their head coach or had them resign:

Southern Miss - Jay Hopson resigned
Vanderbilt - Derek Mason fired
Auburn - Gus Malzahn fired
South Carolina - Will Muschamp fired
Louisiana Monroe - Matt Viator fired
Utah State - Gary Andersen fired
South Alabama - Steve Campbell fired
Arkansas State - Blake Anderson resigned
Arizona - Kevin Sumlin fired
Illinois - Lovie Smith fired
Mt. Vernon High School - Art Briles resigned

I only add Briles because his name has been bandied about in regards to Texas Tech and Auburn. Maybe because he's lining up a new job? Maybe he's heard what might be coming down from the NCAA regarding Rapelor and Briles.

I have seen Malzahn's buyout reported to be $21 million. Freeze supposedly is getting looks from some schools and he was already vetted to return to the SEC when South Carolina was looking for a coach. Auburn plays Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Texass A&M every year, so that's going to be a tough job. Supposedly Auburn is looking at Cristobal and Franklin. Both are at top programs and have much easier paths to the NCG.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
These schools have either fired their head coach or had them resign:

Southern Miss - Jay Hopson resigned
Vanderbilt - Derek Mason fired
Auburn - Gus Malzahn fired
South Carolina - Will Muschamp fired
Louisiana Monroe - Matt Viator fired
Utah State - Gary Andersen fired
South Alabama - Steve Campbell fired
Arkansas State - Blake Anderson resigned
Arizona - Kevin Sumlin fired
Illinois - Lovie Smith fired
Mt. Vernon High School - Art Briles resigned

I only add Briles because his name has been bandied about in regards to Texas Tech and Auburn. Maybe because he's lining up a new job? Maybe he's heard what might be coming down from the NCAA regarding Rapelor and Briles.

I have seen Malzahn's buyout reported to be $21 million. Freeze supposedly is getting looks from some schools and he was already vetted to return to the SEC when South Carolina was looking for a coach. Auburn plays Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Texass A&M every year, so that's going to be a tough job. Supposedly Auburn is looking at Cristobal and Franklin. Both are at top programs and have much easier paths to the NCG.
Huh? Something still might be coming down from the NCAA over all that? I thought the book was closed on it. Also, Texas Tech's team of hired investigators found that Briles did absolutely nothing wrong and was just the scapegoat so they and their fanbase will be able to justify it when they bring his slimy a** to Lubbock.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Huh? Something still might be coming down from the NCAA over all that? I thought the book was closed on it. Also, Texas Tech's team of hired investigators found that Briles did absolutely nothing wrong and was just the scapegoat so they and their fanbase will be able to justify it when they bring his slimy a** to Lubbock.
Even more reasons to dislike the tortilla tossers. Though it won't be this year, Wells is back for another year.

It sounds like Freeze is going to Auburn and Briles is
replacing Freeze at Liberty. Liberty's AD is Briles old AD Ian McCaw from Baylor.
It sure looks that way.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I find it interesting that the buyout at Texas was in the $20 million range and at Auburn just Malzahn was $21 million, not counting coaches, so another 2-3 million? Texas has more money than Auburn and they pulled the trigger. We'll see if Freeze or whoever they get can do any better. I'm not convinced any currently available coach will be able to do better. That's a lot of money to spend on a coach will most likely perform the same as the previous coach.

I figure that's why Texas didn't fire Herman. The only coach worth jettisoning your coaching staff (and $20+ million) for would be Meyer, whether you like him or not. Still they haven't done themselves any favors in the recruiting battles. They should have extended Herman's contract, while keeping the buyout the same amount. Texas is going to see a ton of negative recruiting and rightly so. Everyone knows Texas doesn't want Herman and other coaches are going to use that. Some won't care if they have a new coach in their second year. Right now 247 has them with the 17th best class for 2021. I expect that may drop as I see one 4* player on the list that's gotten into some serious legal troubles and seems every week another player or two decommits.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Even more reasons to dislike the tortilla tossers. Though it won't be this year, Wells is back for another year.

It sure looks that way.
Yeah I saw that they decided that this afternoon. Yep, Briles to Liberty. They'll act like this is some kind of redemption tour for Briles to get him back in the college game and then Tech will nab him in a couple of years.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Yeah I saw that they decided that this afternoon. Yep, Briles to Liberty. They'll act like this is some kind of redemption tour for Briles to get him back in the college game and then Tech will nab him in a couple of years.
can you imagine Tech donkey stomping Baylor with their old disgraced coach. I'd honestly love to see that.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I can’t believe Auburn would recycle Freeze back into the SEC. wasn’t he the Ole Miss coach when the NCAA came calling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because they are all doing it except Alabama. They don't have to.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I can’t believe Auburn would recycle Freeze back into the SEC. wasn’t he the Ole Miss coach when the NCAA came calling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not a bad hire. It's icky but SEC is the SEC. He can recruit and he's not scared to face Bama. Heck part me wouldn't mind Freeze as a replacement for Gundy. But they are going to hire Steele.

It's an uninspiring replacement after they blew 20 mil firing a coach 45 P5 programs would pay the same amount to have. And it's because of I don't know why. He beat Bama more than anyone else has beaten Bama but I guess he didn't beat Bama enough.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
It's not a bad hire. It's icky but SEC is the SEC. He can recruit and he's not scared to face Bama. Heck part me wouldn't mind Freeze as a replacement for Gundy. But they are going to hire Steele.

It's an uninspiring replacement after they blew 20 mil firing a coach 45 P5 programs would pay the same amount to have. And it's because of I don't know why. He beat Bama more than anyone else has beaten Bama but I guess he didn't beat Bama enough.
Personally, I think Auburn has gotten too big for its britches. The stars aligned when Cam won the title in 2010 and I think they have been chasing that high ever since. Shortly after chizik was fired they brought in Gus and he had them in the NCG in his second year only to be mediocre ever since. For a brief time they were equals with Alabama and now living in the shadows again. So it does not shock me they are making this move. They think they are bigger than they are and want to stay at the top.

What I don’t understand is how during a global pandemic, massive unemployment, a crumbling economy, and national debt amassing - a public land grant university can spend $20m to fire a coach and pay another $5m to the next guy.

I have been critical of the state of Alabama and what they spend on the 2 state football programs while more than 50% of the residents are receiving some sort of federal assistance. I get it, Alabama makes a lot of money for the university and for the state. But they put a ton of that back into the machine to keep it going.

This year to spend $20m is a very bad look.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
What I don’t understand is how during a global pandemic, massive unemployment, a crumbling economy, and national debt amassing - a public land grant university can spend $20m to fire a coach and pay another $5m to the next guy.
Because the money isn't coming from the state. One or more Big Money Donors have enough money they can spare to buyout a coach they dislike. Who are they going to hire that has beat Alabama more than Malzahn (3) has? The only coach that's come close is Freeze (2).

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

All I think about when I hear the name Kevin Steele was how horrible Baylor was when he was the head coach. That was back when they were the absolute definition of a doormat. He went 1-31 in the big 12 conference in his 4 seasons there. Most of those conference losses were blowouts. Playing Baylor was like a bye week. I can't believe he's the favorite for the Auburn job. But whatever.