Climate change debate - John Stossel

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
Good video (less than 6 min) talking about climate change. He is not a climate change denier, but also not an alarmist. He shows that, like a lot of things, truths get stretched. He points out that we are going through climate change, but the results do not need to be alarming. And some of the desired changes to emissions do little to next to nothing.

Stossel has always been and remains my favorite journalist.
https://twitter.com/johnstossel/status/1480632696904761354?s=21

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Good video (less than 6 min) talking about climate change. He is not a climate change denier, but also not an alarmist. He shows that, like a lot of things, truths get stretched. He points out that we are going through climate change, but the results do not need to be alarming. And some of the desired changes to emissions do little to next to nothing.

The movie makes more sense as a commentary on the GOP response to Trump/COVID vs a commentary on climate change

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
There’s some good points. Who decided there’s only 12 years left?

It wasn’t until after watching the the La Palma Volcano erupt for almost 60 days straight on my side monitor (very hypnotic) that I realized there’s nothing we can do to prevent it. And that was a tiny baby one. Being in the solar minimum now, and with the uptick in volcanic activity, I’m assuming science will be able to quantify the increase in CO2 and methane. If Yellowstone or one like it decides it’s time, I’m not sure there are enough electric cars to shake it off.

Sep 22, 2011
Personally I thought don't look up was pretty funny, I enjoyed it, it had some pretty ridiculous cringe and preachy moments but it was better than most of the trash that Netflix puts out, that being said, I do think that truths get stretched for sure and absolute lies told by people who are guilty of the "ends justify the means" mistake that nearly always backfires when you are trying to influence people.

To me the real effects are enough to act on, but I stopped trying to convince people a long time ago. American politics are too toxic to try and fix anything anyways. All I can control is the stuff around me, anything the American government or world governments come up with at this point would do more to make large corporations rich than it would to improve climate change metrics. It is one of the many things that will never be able to be addressed until corruption by large corporations can be addressed

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

I like this. I especially like that they point out that storms are a terrible example of climate change. If we have storms, climate change. If they are worse, climate change. If we have no storms, climate change. There's no single storm that proves or disproves climate change, but it's an easy fear button for media to push.

That said, we are releasing so much CO2 into the atmosphere, it's really and truly a concern to me. We have to get off of coal and substitute natural gas (very limited fashion as methane, which dissipates faster but is 100X worse in the short term) and nuclear. Adopting electric vehicles also will continue to make a big dent. And yes, I am aware of the waste and pollution side effects of this. But we'll deal with those problems no sweat if it means we aren't f*cking around with the carbon cycle. That stuff is serious and you don't want to play games with it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Personally I thought don't look up was pretty funny, I enjoyed it, it had some pretty ridiculous cringe and preachy moments but it was better than most of the trash that Netflix puts out, that being said, I do think that truths get stretched for sure and absolute lies told by people who are guilty of the "ends justify the means" mistake that nearly always backfires when you are trying to influence people.

To me the real effects are enough to act on, but I stopped trying to convince people a long time ago. American politics are too toxic to try and fix anything anyways. All I can control is the stuff around me, anything the American government or world governments come up with at this point would do more to make large corporations rich than it would to improve climate change metrics. It is one of the many things that will never be able to be addressed until corruption by large corporations can be addressed
We have been addressing pollution for decades ever since the industrial revolution we have been addressing it. Most American waterways, air around big cities like LA and pollution from industry is vastly reduced in America compared to the 1970s…we just don’t talk about success only stoke political fears to attempt create bad guys and garner votes for our “teams.” Division is really bad for our country…I don’t know a single American who doesn’t want to do the practical things to preserve and improve our environment, the disagreements come from the extreme view points of the 12 years left….bunch..and they are for political rather than real environment reasons. I also acknowledge many of them don’t know that they are being used…

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
There’s some good points. Who decided there’s only 12 years left?

It wasn’t until after watching the the La Palma Volcano erupt for almost 60 days straight on my side monitor (very hypnotic) that I realized there’s nothing we can do to prevent it. And that was a tiny baby one. Being in the solar minimum now, and with the uptick in volcanic activity, I’m assuming science will be able to quantify the increase in CO2 and methane. If Yellowstone or one like it decides it’s time, I’m not sure there are enough electric cars to shake it off.
Al 'my feet are hot' Gore

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Al 'my feet are hot' Gore
Just like that video, have you noticed there’s a conference going on for anything and everything? VICE ( I know ) did an episode on the medical misinformation going on. Through conferences like natural cancer cures or alternative COVID cures. There’s a market for people to be told anything.

I’m at the point that I recognize Al Gore for who he is. Can’t hold being a politician sell out against a politician sell out. That said, I’ve heard worse messages.