Classic Cars Are Greener Than Electric Vehicles: Study

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
never thats why I asked. I am curious as well and trying to figure the balance as well. All that info was off of Tesla's support page as well.
The main thing is that it isn't something you "fill up" like a gas car. At a supercharger, typically you put in enough to get you to the next destination. Saves time plus a low battery takes charge much better than a nearly full battery.
Now, the thing with idle fees is you would have to really screw up to do it. All the way to 100% full takes a good hour because it is slow filling that last little bit. And, your phone is going to be notifying you over and over about how full you are getting.

Idle fees were put in place because people like me with free supercharging would just hook up and leave since there was no cost. But, that of course blocks the next person and is a jerk thing to do. Idle fees help stop that. I've never even come close to paying an idle fee.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
And that's where this national argument about fossil fuels and green energy goes off the rails, many don't think of it in those terms, which I agree with. It's more along the lines of "fossil fuels are evil, those who drive vehicles fueled by gasoline or diesel don't care about the environment, and we need to end usage of fossil fuels now". And as I mentioned before, those two activities are not mutually exclusive.
I'm not sure which one of us is hanging out with weird liberals, but the Uber green liberals I know hate all cars and want public transit. The rest basically shrug their shoulders and figure they do what they can but everybody has to make a compromise somewhere.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
zero fuel costs in 3 years you say. Electric cars are quickly climbing up my radar. I drive 40 miles round trip 3 days a week. I have a golf cart at the lake that is all jazzed up and fancy and I bet I could do that trip in my golf cart every day if I really needed to. Not sure why I keep paying for oil changes every few months and Gas every week when that same amount could be making my interest payment and still have some left over each month.
My round trip is approx 105 miles 5 days a week. If I visit a client location that day could be 200 miles, client visits are 1 or 2 times a week. I don’t see electric in my near future but hybrid would make sense.