City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
If the BBQ is on par with Sam's Southern Eatery, it won't last a year.
A hundred years ago (about 35 actually), I was building the since torn-down retail/residential buildings at 4th/Jefferson behind Dupree's so we used to eat at Sam's about once a week. A chicken-fried steak, fries and a drink was $3.33. Remember it well as I was there with my lunatic boss one day and he ordered the same and wanted to pay. He threw a conniption when the lady told him the total was $6.66. Dude bought a bowl of pudding (and left it behind) simply because he refused to pay someone 666.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
A hundred years ago (about 35 actually), I was building the since torn-down retail/residential buildings at 4th/Jefferson behind Dupree's so we used to eat at Sam's about once a week. A chicken-fried steak, fries and a drink was $3.33. Remember it well as I was there with my lunatic boss one day and he ordered the same and wanted to pay. He threw a conniption when the lady told him the total was $6.66. Dude bought a bowl of pudding (and left it behind) simply because he refused to pay someone 666.
It was Charlie's Chicken back then, that was some good food. Sam's, not so much.

Aug 16, 2012
It was Charlie's Chicken back then, that was some good food. Sam's, not so much.
Not positive, but pretty sure it was Sam's because 1) that was the name of the lunatic I worked for and part of the reason he wanted to try it and 2) I rarely ate chicken back then (abhorred it in fact), so the likelihood of me going to a place called Charlie's Chicken would have been slim. This was about 1984-85. But who knows, that was a long time ago.

Feb 25, 2008
Not positive, but pretty sure it was Sam's because 1) that was the name of the lunatic I worked for and part of the reason he wanted to try it and 2) I rarely ate chicken back then (abhorred it in fact), so the likelihood of me going to a place called Charlie's Chicken would have been slim. This was about 1984-85. But who knows, that was a long time ago.
In 2009 it was Charlie's Chicken's. Sam's came later (after 2016 or so playing around with different google maps street view dates). I don't remember what it was in 1984-85, but I believe that is where the Sandwich Factory use to be in the late 70's early 80's.

1627529867387.png

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
In 2009 it was Charlie's Chicken's. Sam's came later (after 2016 or so playing around with different google maps street view dates). I don't remember what it was in 1984-85.

View attachment 91211
I work with a group that reviews historical city directories. Curious what it was called back then so I may give one of them a call to dig into it for me. That is the building I am referencing though. A few tweaks, but essentially the same building.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I work with a group that reviews historical city directories. Curious what it was called back then so I may give one of them a call to dig into it for me. That is the building I am referencing though. A few tweaks, but essentially the same building.
FYI the OSU library has copies of all the Stillwater phone books going back to when they started printing them .

Aug 16, 2012
FYI the OSU library has copies of all the Stillwater phone books going back to when they started printing them .
Thanks. The people I work with, they do environmental surveys for real estate transactions. They subscribe to a clearinghouse where they have access to directories for just about everywhere so they can go back and see what businesses were at specific locations as far back as they can find the information.

Mr Bob

was never here.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Stillwater, OK
In 2009 it was Charlie's Chicken's. Sam's came later (after 2016 or so playing around with different google maps street view dates). I don't remember what it was in 1984-85, but I believe that is where the Sandwich Factory use to be in the late 70's early 80's.

View attachment 91211
Was it Rex's maybe? I was a bit too young back then to really trust my memory.

H2Orange

Sitting on the Group W bench
A/V Subscriber
Nov 17, 2007
Edmond
Sams Southern Eatery opened its first location in 2008. I lived in Stillwater from 1997-2012 and that location was Charlie’s Chicken during that time. It was a Sandwich Factory for a while in the 70’s. It had a few other restaurants in between.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Just saw the movie Stillwater. It's about 2% Stillwater and the rest is in France but it's still cool to see the references.

According to Matt Damon we have some tight end from Guthrie that it takes 3 people to bring down and is sure to go to the NFL, so we should be good this year. So we have that going for us.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Just saw the movie Stillwater. It's about 2% Stillwater and the rest is in France but it's still cool to see the references.

According to Matt Damon we have some tight end from Guthrie that it takes 3 people to bring down and is sure to go to the NFL, so we should be good this year. So we have that going for us.
Doesn't mean we'll throw to him.....

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Back in my younger food service days, it was routine practice to give people small discounts to avoid charging them 6.66. I also had multiple food establishment owners who changed prices specifically to avoid it.

Jul 28, 2011
Just the other day I purchased something locally (Stillwater) and my total was $6.66. I said to the clerk "Well, that's awkward" and then I flashed the Ronnie James Dio horn sign and laid down $10. Clerk laughed and said "Dude, that's awesome, this one's on me!".

Oct 1, 2006
Lagos, Nigeria
Back in my younger food service days, it was routine practice to give people small discounts to avoid charging them 6.66. I also had multiple food establishment owners who changed prices specifically to avoid it.
Just the other day I purchased something locally (Stillwater) and my total was $6.66. I said to the clerk "Well, that's awkward" and then I flashed the Ronnie James Dio horn sign and laid down $10. Clerk laughed and said "Dude, that's awesome, this one's on me!".
Don't you know it's back luck to be superstitious? :p

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Was it Rex's maybe? I was a bit too young back then to really trust my memory.
I think you are right. I know it started life as a Burger Chef but that closed when I was pretty young (7 or so) but I couldn't remember what it was between Burger Chef and Charlie's. Rex's sounds right and I'm picturing it on the sign.
It was Rex, correct. Went in there in the late 80’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2008
I think you are right. I know it started life as a Burger Chef but that closed when I was pretty young (7 or so) but I couldn't remember what it was between Burger Chef and Charlie's. Rex's sounds right and I'm picturing it on the sign.
Wow.. Burger Chef! I hadn't thought about that place in years.