City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I was a prison gang investigator for many years and was sent for a month in about 2010 to do some investigative work at the prison in Tallahatchie, Mississippi. There were so many crooked staff at that prison, I couldn't believe it. Even with one of the very few "good paying" jobs there locally, they were barely making over minimum wage. That makes it easy for inmates with a little money to manipulate staff. Pretty sad to see.
Seriously, that sounds like a brutal job, and you've seen the crushing poverty of the Delta first-hand. I doubt that the crooked staff there even understood that they were crooked, it's simply the way it was.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
What is going in the old AW Long John Silvers building?

Already cancelling the fireworks show is a joke.The city is broke and now they cancel it 6 wks early.Also they are not opening up the rundown swimming pool this year.The city is using covid as an excuse for anything lately.
How much does it cost for the city to put on the fireworks show?
I can't remember exactly but I want to say it was something like 30,000 or more for just the fireworks and it was a guy I knew putting it out each year and then whatever it cost for all the man hours for the police and stuff

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
How much does it cost for the city to put on the fireworks show?
From what I was told (at least 10 years ago, so things may have changed.) Chickasaw Communications paid for the fireworks. When I was a kid it was sponsored by the Lion's Club, they would have a couple of years with small displays that didn't last very long. After doing that for a couple of years they would have enough money saved up to have big, grandiose display.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
So, the newspress has cut down on the number of days they print. They also have now stopped using carriers. All papers will be delivered in the mail same day through an agreement with the post office.

Aug 11, 2004
Newkirk, Ok
So, the newspress has cut down on the number of days they print. They also have now stopped using carriers. All papers will be delivered in the mail same day through an agreement with the post office.

The Ponca City paper went to mail delivery a year or 2 ago. Sucks for sports coverage. Delivery of the Sunday edition used to be delayed during football season because they waited for the college scores to come in before they printed. Now you don't see the college games coverage until the Tuesday edition. All about cutting costs, the newspaper business is struggling.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I heard the 19th hole has closed and that Bad Brads purchased their lease from them .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Bad Brad's has been wanting to move to the west side of town for a while now. I figured someplace a little closer in rather than the west side equivalent of their current location, hope it works out for them and I'm happy to have something on the west side.
Yep, looks like the 19th hole is closed.

Edit:. Image upload was messed up apparently. Trying again.

Last edited:

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I've lived in rural Oklahoma, rural Mississippi, rural Georgia, and now rural Ohio. I've seen crushing poverty, despair, and pretty much all the things you've described everywhere I've lived. Nowhere have I seen worse than the Mississippi Delta. Nowhere. And it is the direct result of slavery. People still live on the same dirt floors and work the same fields. There is no hope.

I miss Oklahoma.'s I'll probably never live there again.
Ah, it's too bad, you weren't born an Oklahoma homebody, like me. My grandparents on both sides of the family finally ended moving westward from generation to generation since colonial times after settleing in Oklahoma. So did all their children except for one. It was my aunt who moved to Chicago after her husband decided that was the place to be. All 6 members of my family stayed in Oklahoma and always usually lived in the Payne County area. We just never wanted to deal with the stress of moving to a new state to a new job.

As one of my favorite sayings goes, "Life is how you make it". Oklahoma isn't always going to strike everybody as a place to make it, even if born there. Thankfully, after modernizing alcohol laws, decriminalizing drugs and legalizing medical marijuana, Oklahoma is finally trying to keep up with the rest of the civilized states and isn't nearly as oddly backwards as it used to be.