City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
Not really following why Rare Earth USA bought that old property north of Boomer Lake.They mine precious metals in far west Texas down by El Paso.Not sure if the incentives were great or what but what will they actually be doing in the Stillwater facility?
7 million in incentives.. they manufacture rare earth magnets.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/c...cle_d6005438-e86b-11ec-a630-9b4b6f67dcb0.html

On the flip side, Armstrong may shutdown their plant in Stillwater..

https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/l...cle_8f01bf2e-d8a1-11ec-84b3-0f2b695cddb8.html

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2006
Nope, the old Causley Printing building next to the NewsPress.
It's actually across the street to the east (and a little south) from the Causley building. B&C office supply was using it for storage, I think.

They are currently gutting the front of Causley's and putting in new windows, etc. (the back is half is still DuPree's print shop since James retired from the biz) ... don't know what's going in though.

Screen Shot .jpg

Oct 1, 2006
USA
It's actually across the street to the east (and a little south) from the Causley building. B&C office supply was using it for storage, I think.

They are currently gutting the front of Causley's and putting in new windows, etc. (the back is half is still DuPree's print shop since James retired from the biz) ... don't know what's going in though.

View attachment 96014
Believe that is going to be TXMZ

https://www.txmztaco.com

Nov 18, 2010
Excited for Stonecloud opening this Saturday

https://www.instagram.com/p/CerC8BnuTrX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Is this the project where Mayor Will Joyce gave personal friend, and fellow dem politician Corey Williams, $100,000 of tax payer money, so he could open a bar? Seems like I remember reading about that in the Newspress.

If so, I guess its good to see Corey didn't use the money to buy a boat. Corey already owns a TON of property in town. He's not hurting for money. Why does he need a handout?

As a mayor/city council, can you just give as much taxpayer money as you want to your (rich) friends so they can open a business? Is that legal?

Respectfully,
-Local man who has had his property taxes increase the maximum amount possible under this Mayor/City Council, and is also paying extra for basic city utilities after this year's hike.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
Is this the project where Mayor Will Joyce gave personal friend, and fellow dem politician Corey Williams, $100,000 of tax payer money, so he could open a bar? Seems like I remember reading about that in the Newspress.

If so, I guess its good to see Corey didn't use the money to buy a boat. Corey already owns a TON of property in town. He's not hurting for money. Why does he need a handout?

As a mayor/city council, can you just give as much taxpayer money as you want to your (rich) friends so they can open a business? Is that legal?

Respectfully,
-Local man who had his property taxes increase the maximum amount possible and is also burdened by an increased rate for basic city utilities.
Stillwater is definitely an old boys club..

Jun 21, 2011
Stillwater

Respectfully,
-Local man who has had his property taxes increase the maximum amount possible under this Mayor/City Council, and is also paying extra for basic city utilities after this year's hike.
I believe some funding from the TIF program was used towards the building for an ADA compliant entrance.

Dec 9, 2013
I believe some funding from the TIF program was used towards the building for an ADA compliant entrance.
Stillwater might be one of the worst cities for people w mobility disabilities. The main problem is that it takes money and unfortunately it’s just not there. They just need to realize it’s an issue and work w people to solve some of the problems. Those people exist and are willing to help.

Nov 18, 2010
So the city gave their political ally Corey Williams $100,000 for a handicap ramp at the entry of his new bar. Let's pretend that's a normal thing, for a city to give money to an individual to put in a ramp...it isn't, but let's pretend it is. Do the people who approved this honestly believe it costs $100,000 to form up a concrete ramp and add a handrail?

Again, it looks very strange to see the Mayor give his millionaire personal friend $100,000 of taxpayer money to help him open a bar.

Is there a place where the public can see how these TIF moneys are distributed?

Dec 9, 2013
So the city gave their political ally Corey Williams $100,000 for a handicap ramp at the entry of his new bar. Let's pretend that's a normal thing, for a city to give money to an individual to put in a ramp...it isn't, but let's pretend it is. Do the people who approved this honestly believe it costs $100,000 to form up a concrete ramp and add a handrail?

Again, it looks very strange to see the Mayor give his millionaire personal friend $100,000 of taxpayer money to help him open a bar.

Is there a place where the public can see how these TIF moneys are distributed?
I’m not going to begrudge any of your thoughts. I don’t have the perspective you do or the knowledge of any of the situation or individuals. While a ramp should not cost $100,000 and I don’t know what the details, it would not surprise me to see costs run up.

Being ADA compliant (and not just to the letter of the law) can be more involved and should meet specific requirements vs pouring a ramp and slapping up a handrail. Placement of the ramp, degree slope, # of switchbacks, height and sturdiness of the rail and any adjoining parking or sidewalks and building entrances all should be built to meet the requirements of the ADA and to meet the needs of the disability and aging community. Sometimes those can be far apart.

Again not speaking to any TIF $ or local politics, but if this establishment created an atmosphere that goes above and beyond to accommodate people w mobility issues they should be applauded and will definitely earn business. Because as I’ve stated Stillwater and certain businesses are not the easiest to navigate.

Nov 18, 2010
I’m not going to begrudge any of your thoughts. I don’t have the perspective you do or the knowledge of any of the situation or individuals. While a ramp should not cost $100,000 and I don’t know what the details, it would not surprise me to see costs run up.

Being ADA compliant (and not just to the letter of the law) can be more involved and should meet specific requirements vs pouring a ramp and slapping up a handrail. Placement of the ramp, degree slope, # of switchbacks, height and sturdiness of the rail and any adjoining parking or sidewalks and building entrances all should be built to meet the requirements of the ADA and to meet the needs of the disability and aging community. Sometimes those can be far apart.
Yes, the aging and disabled community really need this BAR. We should all stand and applaud such a noble enterprise.

I'm very familiar with ADA requirements. Unless you're building on a side of a mountain, or including an elevator system, there is no way it would approach $100k. You appear to be familiar with construction, so I'm not sure why you're pretending not to know this.

Accessibility is good. Who would disagree? In fact, it's required by law for any new or renovated publicly accessible establishment to have ADA access, since 1990. Guess who's responsible for the cost. Not the taxpayers. (Who didn't even get to vote on it) The owner of the business builds the required ADA access. But I think you know that.

Every other business in town has had to provide ADA access, paid for by the business owner. How come those folks didn't receive $100k for their projects? How come a millionaire politician, who just happens to be on the same political team as the mayor and council, is the only one to receive this kind of "taxpayer support"?

Last edited: