Cheese—It Bowl vs Miami 12/29 @4/30 pm

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 14, 2006
We're playing in a Bowl that is being played on a Weekday at 4:30 thousands of miles away from our recruiting base.

I suppose some of you might think this event is relevant, but for the other 99.9999999% of the world its conpletely not.
We get 12 or 13 chances a year to watch our favorite team play at 4 hours a pop. So roughly 50 hours a year to watch live OSU Cowboy football.

I know a bunch of us spend way more time than that on this silly website discussing or whining about our team.

I don't give a rat's ass if the game is at 0500 on a Tuesday I'm watching with my orange on.

And I bet when it's done this is one of the top 10 most watched bowls.

Oct 29, 2016
US
In reality, bowl games are irrelevant. The NCAA does not recognize bowl games.. they're meaningless. Instead, bowl games are there to earn more money for universities and related. IMO, every single team should be allowed to play in a bowl game.. the rich keep getting richer, whilst the poor keep getting poorer. Allowing such would not degrade the bowl games.. because they're literally meaningless.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
We get 12 or 13 chances a year to watch our favorite team play at 4 hours a pop. So roughly 50 hours a year to watch live OSU Cowboy football.

I know a bunch of us spend way more time than that on this silly website discussing or whining about our team.

I don't give a rat's ass if the game is at 0500 on a Tuesday I'm watching with my orange on.

I agree completely. Recruits don't generally attend each bowl game they watch; they watch them on tv. If we have a compelling matchup, they will watch. The venue location is not relevant.

Nov 6, 2010

The way it's going I'm not sure there are going to be 10 bowl games played this year, but I'll be watching with ya!

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
We're playing in a Bowl that is being played on a Weekday at 4:30 thousands of miles away from our recruiting base.

I suppose some of you might think this event is relevant, but for the other 99.9999999% of the world its conpletely not.

Great perspective. I kinda feel sorry for the fans that hate Gundy and/or want him fired. They’re so entrenched with their attitudes they can’t even enjoy a game, the good performances, celebrate the athletes successes, look forward to future games and seasons without spewing their criticisms and hatred at most every coaching decision, unsuccessful play, disappointing loss, narrow win, recruiting class, sideline demeanor or choice of t-shirt.

How unfortunate for them - however self-inflicted their attitude may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Can’t wait for you to complain about something you’re not gonna watch.

I doubt anybody is gonna complain about the outcome of the cheese bowl.
You must be a new fan. If we lose, this thread and new ones will be non-stop complaining.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Great perspective. I kinda feel sorry for the fans that hate Gundy and/or want him fired. They’re so entrenched with their attitudes they can’t even enjoy a game, the good performances, celebrate the athletes successes, look forward to future games and seasons without spewing their criticisms and hatred at most every coaching decision, unsuccessful play, disappointing loss, narrow win, recruiting class, sideline demeanor or choice of t-shirt.

This proves you don't understand, the ones that are complaining want more for the team, the players, the school, alumni, and fans. You think we are self inflicted but actually its the opposite, we want our team to do better than they are right now and how they have been for the past few years. There may be some but I doubt that the people complaining hold a grudge against Gundy, in fact if you asked the ones that complain they would probably say they just want to see some change from the current M.O. of the team in particular the offense. Poor coaching decisions, predictable play calling, disappointing losses to less talented teams, barely beating teams we should comfortably beat, below average recruiting, lack of motivation on the sidelines, and the lack of self awareness are all fair game for criticism in my book. If those things are off limits to complain about with you maybe you are the one that needs to reflect on your thought process as it relates to OSU football.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
This proves you don't understand, the ones that are complaining want more for the team, the players, the school, alumni, and fans. You think we are self inflicted but actually its the opposite, we want our team to do better than they are right now and how they have been for the past few years. There may be some but I doubt that the people complaining hold a grudge against Gundy, in fact if you asked the ones that complain they would probably say they just want to see some change from the current M.O. of the team in particular the offense. Poor coaching decisions, predictable play calling, disappointing losses to less talented teams, barely beating teams we should comfortably beat, below average recruiting, lack of motivation on the sidelines, and the lack of self awareness are all fair game for criticism in my book. If those things are off limits to complain about with you maybe you are the one that needs to reflect on your thought process as it relates to OSU football.
It proves nothing, I want better results too. But I'm not so arrogant to think I know what's wrong, what's right, what should change, and what should stay the same. I'm not at practices, I'm not in tune with what other teams are specifically doing and what we've designed to exploit and what they've done to counter. I don't know what our players are reasonably capable of, or not capable of. I don't know what assignments we've busted, what bad decisions or reads the QB has made, what plays we've practiced as part of a game plan, and what plays we're left out of a game plan. I don't know what plays are run to set up a future play, and what plays are simply designed to keep the defense honest. I don't know all the injuries we have and how that impacts game plans and play calls, and I don't know how the lack of experience and in game injuries impact play calls. You see, I really don't know anything relative to the coaches who have 10x the skin in the game that I do. Just how and why would I criticize something I know very little about? Why would I torture my self, why would I delude myself with thoughts I know better than the coaches? And if 99% of the fans were smart enough and honest enough with themselves, they'd realize the same thing.

I do know wins and losses. I do know the records and accomplishments of this team and the teams we compete against. That's enough to form a singular opinion - should we keep our coach or look for another one.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I had bigger expectations than 7-3 for the year and I have plenty of issues with what's going on, but I'll always be excited to see the Pokes play another game, especially a ranked matchup with a chance to gain some momentum for the next season.

To me, this is a big game for Spencer Sanders. He needs to play well and show he can take a step toward being what he is expected to be, and I want to see Dez Jackson and Dominic Richardson get more carries.

Aug 7, 2006
The Cheeze-It Bowl wasn't where I thought we would be this year, but considering everything this year has thrown at us... A game against a pretty good Miami team should be a fun way to end the season.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
https://twitter.com/LukeSlabaugh/status/1341070605551104007?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/1341066568449581056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
In reality, bowl games are irrelevant. The NCAA does not recognize bowl games.. they're meaningless. Instead, bowl games are there to earn more money for universities and related. IMO, every single team should be allowed to play in a bowl game.. the rich keep getting richer, whilst the poor keep getting poorer. Allowing such would not degrade the bowl games.. because they're literally meaningless.
Why, specifically, do you not consider an extra 1-3 weeks of practice to be meaningful?

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
It proves nothing, I want better results too. But I'm not so arrogant to think I know what's wrong, what's right, what should change, and what should stay the same. I'm not at practices, I'm not in tune with what other teams are specifically doing and what we've designed to exploit and what they've done to counter. I don't know what our players are reasonably capable of, or not capable of. I don't know what assignments we've busted, what bad decisions or reads the QB has made, what plays we've practiced as part of a game plan, and what plays we're left out of a game plan. I don't know what plays are run to set up a future play, and what plays are simply designed to keep the defense honest. I don't know all the injuries we have and how that impacts game plans and play calls, and I don't know how the lack of experience and in game injuries impact play calls. You see, I really don't know anything relative to the coaches who have 10x the skin in the game that I do. Just how and why would I criticize something I know very little about? Why would I torture my self, why would I delude myself with thoughts I know better than the coaches? And if 99% of the fans were smart enough and honest enough with themselves, they'd realize the same thing.

I do know wins and losses. I do know the records and accomplishments of this team and the teams we compete against. That's enough to form a singular opinion - should we keep our coach or look for another one.
You are a good fan, you don't assume you know about the team and you defend the decisions made without question. You aren't arrogant enough to think you know what's best for the team but you keep telling us we are wrong or ignorant or selfish or deluded or arrogant, seems pretty arrogant to me. I don't think it is arrogant to complain about underperforming but maybe we didn't, maybe we are over valued.

Nov 29, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1. If the bowl games are a meaningless money grab, how do you see the regular season as any different? It's literally just an extra game, but against an opponent you wouldn't normally be slotted against.
2. The extra practices are a huge deal.
3. Conferences split the bowl money between the members, with the teams participating getting an extra split from their own bowl game in most cases.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
OU plays on Wednesday, we play on Tuesday.

I look forward to you ignoring the game and thus not boring us with your senseless criticisms.

This mentality will do to football what happened to basketball.

Empty stands and eventually complete apathy.

If you choose to be smug towards the passion many fans are showing right now, that passion will eventually turn into apathy.

We've seen it happen first hand at OSU.

People who want change have 100% legitimate reasons for wanting that change and they want it to improve the status of OSU football.

Most of us, as we've said several times, actually want Gundy to he the coach.....we just want him to remove himself from the offense.

That is 100% fair and the fact that fans like you can't even entertain that idea shows who is close
minded.

It would be best for everyone to be open minded to change and, instead of denying it needs to happen, make the conversation instead about the appropriate changes everyone can agree/compromise on.

If the conversation follows your path it will never get to that point and it will do great to OSU football.

Fans will get shut out, stop coming, then stop caring, just like they did with basketball.

Passion from the fans is a good thing.

Its not something that needs to be approached like you approach passionate opinions that don't align with yours.

Last edited: