Championship Game!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I just listed 5 teams, that I feel, we are as good as, if not, better than. All of which were within 1 score of Alabama.

Which of those 5 teams could we have not beaten?

I’m not here to say we’re on their level but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that we could have been competitive and if we caught a couple breaks we could win it.

I saw a freshman CB get dominated all game. I saw a Heisman trophy winner get rattled and look subpar like he did in those other games I mentioned.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Losing Williams cost Bama the game, ultimately. His Fr. replacement made a couple of plays, but it is nowhere near Williams at this point.

Definitely one of the stranger Championship games I've seen, and I think a ton of credit has to go to UGA's OL in the last quarter and a half. The amount of duress the QB had been under the entire game up that point was brutal-guy couldn't even drop back and plant without dudes already in his face. Didn't understand the lack of slants on early downs, and not rolling the pocket more with the QB. The long routes with him sitting in the pocket were just not working, at all.

To me, it also showed how you can read too much into body language when you're watching a broadcast and just get a cut away showing the QB on the sidelines. I absolutely thought for 3 quarters that the stage just seemed too big for Bennett and he was wilting under the lights, but man was I wrong.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
How low does it have to go before ESPN realizes that pimping out the SEC is damaging national interest?

”Monday's national championship comes in as the second-lowest viewership of the playoff era, and the second-lowest title game viewership in 16 years.”

https://www.si.com/media/2022/01/11...ogQhElXr2q934iWwUIQVwJYoRKzyJukF117PCcZ_QugnI
While it is quite possible I think there are a couple things going on. Even the Super Bowl has been down. Last years game featuring Brady vs Mahomes pulled in 91m viewers but that number was down 20m from where they were 5 years ago.

I think people cutting cable is a huge factor and I also think national interest in the sport at a college and professional level is slowly waning.

That being said, I agree, a regional rematch itsnt good for national ratings. I wonder what it would have been like if it pulled in another program.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
While it is quite possible I think there are a couple things going on. Even the Super Bowl has been down. Last years game featuring Brady vs Mahomes pulled in 91m viewers but that number was down 20m from where they were 5 years ago.

I think people cutting cable is a huge factor and I also think national interest in the sport at a college and professional level is slowly waning.

That being said, I agree, a regional rematch itsnt good for national ratings. I wonder what it would have been like if it pulled in another program.
It's worth noting that the NFL had 74 of the 100 most watched TV programs last year. Live sports in total generated 91 of the top 100. So 74 NFL games, 10 Olympic Events, & 7 others accounted for over 90% of the most watched TV programs last year.

When people ask why there are so many bowl games, it's pretty simple.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
How low does it have to go before ESPN realizes that pimping out the SEC is damaging national interest?

”Monday's national championship comes in as the second-lowest viewership of the playoff era, and the second-lowest title game viewership in 16 years.”

https://www.si.com/media/2022/01/11...ogQhElXr2q934iWwUIQVwJYoRKzyJukF117PCcZ_QugnI
College football needs a centralized administration to look out for the entirety of it's membership, and ultimately, it's product's appeal. The NFL realized this when the Cowboys were loading their roster and winning Super Bowls and Jerry Jones was out trying to make his own deals with Pepsi and others. They understood the fact that the product is better and the interest is greater when there is truer competition and it's not just a he who spends the most gets the spoils proposition. That model quickly becomes uncompelling for alot of potential fans and they just move on to something else.

Sure, times are great at the top of the food chain right now, but even those schools need legit competition or the games are almost meaningless.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
College football needs a centralized administration to look out for the entirety of it's membership, and ultimately, it's product's appeal. The NFL realized this when the Cowboys were loading their roster and winning Super Bowls and Jerry Jones was out trying to make his own deals with Pepsi and others. They understood the fact that the product is better and the interest is greater when there is truer competition and it's not just a he who spends the most gets the spoils proposition. That model quickly becomes uncompelling for alot of potential fans and they just move on to something else.

Sure, times are great at the top of the food chain right now, but even those schools need legit competition or the games are almost meaningless.
Good point. That makes me think of UFC vs Boxing. A lot of people dislike Dana White and his antics but he understood what boxing was missing and that is the organizational structure.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Good point. That makes me think of UFC vs Boxing. A lot of people dislike Dana White and his antics but he understood what boxing was missing and that is the organizational structure.
Good example. Me and all my buddies were huge boxing fans growing up, rented the pay per view boxes, watched all the big fights. Then you had all the various organizations and promoters ducking other fights and setting up crappy matchups, while they leave the obvious 1 vs 2 hanging out there. We realized at some point how much theater and just flat out grift there was in boxing and we lost interest and most of us have never come back to it.

It's hard for those at the top to give up any advantage they have in the name of the overall product in various sports, but the sports are always better off when there is real competition. We love sports because they are often compelling, don't know what's going to happen events. Movies are where we go for the ending we all know is coming, not sports.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I coach a HS robotics team and our season just kicked off on Saturday, so I was plenty happy to spend my evening at our facility with the team doing prototyping and equipment inventory instead of watching the SEC championship game again. I had already switched my Sling package back to the one that does not include ESPN after our bowl game anyway and likely won't see that channel again until sometime next fall.
Thanks for doing what you do. Very cool

Peeb

Sheriff
Sep 6, 2008
Green Country
I wanted to hate it, but the second half was awesome. One wide receiver getting hurt was all that was needed. You could feel the Georgia energy in the second half running the ball down Bama’s throats and the crowd barking. You could feel the 40 year release through the tv

Great game! 2 best teams in the country hands down. The playoff worked perfectly tris year. Stetson Bennett is what the sport is about. Props to Bryce Young. He had no help from his line or those “receivers” and the doom was obvious, but his body language never wavered.

Putting your heads in the sand and saying the sec is overrated seems like a fun and effective strategy for the rest of you
And we know that they are the best because why? No, they were certainly the presumed best in the country, and they might have been, but we will never really know under the existing format. If you want to play into the ESPN model of presuming that the cream of the SEC is the cream of the world, good on ya, mate- but I'm not playing. Your TV set computed into the model that costs the Big12 bargaining position, and I didn't want any piece of that. But glad you enjoyed the 'hands down' best teams in the world.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
I coach a HS robotics team and our season just kicked off on Saturday, so I was plenty happy to spend my evening at our facility with the team doing prototyping and equipment inventory instead of watching the SEC championship game again. I had already switched my Sling package back to the one that does not include ESPN after our bowl game anyway and likely won't see that channel again until sometime next fall.
My daughter is in her first year of high school robotics this year. I attended the parent meeting a few weeks ago walking us through the competition schedule and the time involved by all (coaches, students, parents, etc.) and was blown away. It's very similar to a high school sport.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I wanted to hate it, but the second half was awesome. One wide receiver getting hurt was all that was needed. You could feel the Georgia energy in the second half running the ball down Bama’s throats and the crowd barking. You could feel the 40 year release through the tv

Great game! 2 best teams in the country hands down. The playoff worked perfectly tris year. Stetson Bennett is what the sport is about. Props to Bryce Young. He had no help from his line or those “receivers” and the doom was obvious, but his body language never wavered.

Putting your heads in the sand and saying the sec is overrated seems like a fun and effective strategy for the rest of you
And we know that they are the best because why? No, they were certainly the presumed best in the country, and they might have been, but we will never really know under the existing format. If you want to play into the ESPN model of presuming that the cream of the SEC is the cream of the world, good on ya, mate- but I'm not playing. Your TV set computed into the model that costs the Big12 bargaining position, and I didn't want any piece of that. But glad you enjoyed the 'hands down' best teams in the world.
You know that there are ways to watch without it counting towards viewer numbers right? Just saying.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
My daughter is in her first year of high school robotics this year. I attended the parent meeting a few weeks ago walking us through the competition schedule and the time involved by all (coaches, students, parents, etc.) and was blown away. It's very similar to a high school sport.
Yes it is. Is this Vex, BEST, or First?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk