Championship Game!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm sincerely hopeful that the all sec final ratings were trash in comparison to past games with more than one conference in the final...anyone know?

Bottom line, the NEED to add at least 2 teams to 6 (five power five champs and one wild card) and ultimately 12 in order to get the best and a real College football champion...

Sep 22, 2011
Lets be honest those 2 teams were the best in the country. I think we could play with either of them, but I dont think we could win against either. Too good on the OL and DL, they would have worn us down and probably won by a couple of scores

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
That’s the rhetoric they try to shove down our throats…

Alabama:
2 points better than 6-7 Florida
2 points better than 6-7 Auburn (blew it)
6 points better than 6-7 LSU
7 points better than 9-4 Arkansas
3 points worse than 8-4 aTm.

Alabama could obviously beat any team in the nation. That being said, there are quite a few teams capable of beating them.
We also squeaked out some games including one to an FCS school. And we lost to an average ISU team at best.

As much as it pains me to say it, my eyes told me something different than the rhetoric. I think both teams would have dominated us up front on both sides of the ball. Like big time. They’re just bigger stronger and faster than everyone else. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, just is what it is.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Lets be honest those 2 teams were the best in the country. I think we could play with either of them, but I dont think we could win against either. Too good on the OL and DL, they would have worn us down and probably won by a couple of scores
It would all come down to X’s and O’s because the Jimmy’s and Joe’s question really isn’t a question.

Sep 22, 2011
It would all come down to X’s and O’s because the Jimmy’s and Joe’s question really isn’t a question.
you look at the product we put on the field against Baylor and Notre dame, and you look at the SEC CG, and the product that Georgia and Bama put on the field in playoffs, we wouldn't really stand a chance. Our defense would keep it close in the first half, but SS would be running for his life all day.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
We also squeaked out some games including one to an FCS school. And we lost to an average ISU team at best.

As much as it pains me to say it, my eyes told me something different than the rhetoric. I think both teams would have dominated us up front on both sides of the ball. Like big time. They’re just bigger stronger and faster than everyone else. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, just is what it is.
I just listed 5 teams, that I feel, we are as good as, if not, better than. All of which were within 1 score of Alabama.

Which of those 5 teams could we have not beaten?

I’m not here to say we’re on their level but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that we could have been competitive and if we caught a couple breaks we could win it.

I saw a freshman CB get dominated all game. I saw a Heisman trophy winner get rattled and look subpar like he did in those other games I mentioned.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
you look at the product we put on the field against Baylor and Notre dame, and you look at the SEC CG, and the product that Georgia and Bama put on the field in playoffs, we wouldn't really stand a chance. Our defense would keep it close in the first half, but SS would be running for his life all day.
You also look at the teams we played and they were top 10 teams. So you could argue we would have faired exactly the same. That's the whole problem with having them in the series and not lets say the Big 12 champion Baylor is that we'll never know how we compared or could have compared to them. The wrong teams and not enough teams were in it. Conference championships were supposed to mean something. Sorry Georgia you lost your CCG and should have been 5th at best.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I just listed 5 teams, that I feel, we are as good as, if not, better than. All of which were within 1 score of Alabama.

Which of those 5 teams could we have not beaten?

I’m not here to say we’re on their level but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that we could have been competitive and if we caught a couple breaks we could win it.

I saw a freshman CB get dominated all game. I saw a Heisman trophy winner get rattled and look subpar like he did in those other games I mentioned.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
I don’t think your wrong per se, I just think the two teams last night are/were better this year.

If all those teams and us played UGA and Bama 10 times, I think UGA and Bama win 8. Against all of us. The attrition alone would be an issue. Which will be an issue in a 12 team playoff. By the end your team looks totally different because everyone is beat up.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
I'm sincerely hopeful that the all sec final ratings were trash in comparison to past games with more than one conference in the final...anyone know?

Bottom line, the NEED to add at least 2 teams to 6 (five power five champs and one wild card) and ultimately 12 in order to get the best and a real College football champion...
22.6 million views averaged, 25.4 million at peak. Up almost 20% from last year.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
22.6 million views averaged, 25.4 million at peak. Up almost 20% from last year.
That correct. However, last year was the worst ratings for a CFP final, ever. During a pandemic with people at home. If you throw that out, last night is the worst since 2005. Lot of conversations out there today about what that means long term and why it happened.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
That correct. However, last year was the worst ratings for a CFP final, ever. During a pandemic with people at home. If you throw that out, last night is the worst since 2005. Lot of conversations out there today about what that means long term and why it happened.
Also by comparison the Super Bowl pulls in around 90-110 million viewers each year.

Apr 7, 2006
We'd have 8 or 12 already but the powers that be want to remain the powers and that means disproportionate representation. It's a circular argument - the SEC is better because the SEC is often represented disproportionately. I have no problem saying that there are 2 SEC teams of 8 that deserve to be there or 3 SEC of 12, but building superconferences and TV empires is bad for the future of the sport.

Apr 7, 2006
I think OSU would've been a big underdog against either team, but so was A&M this year and so was OSU against OU in 2001. You have to create opportunities for teams to win their league and have a chance to win it all. That's how you drive fan engagement.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Sadly...but what does it look like vs pre covid championship games (2020 could hardly be considered a full season for many many teams, thus the down numbers)?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1481021231776374784?s=21
As I suspected it's the lowest rating in the last 8 besides covid last year. Makes a ton of sense, less intrested in two team that already palyed in a conference Championship game...AND I'm guess a ton of non-SEC America is sick of the SEC being rammed down our throats every Saturday by E SEC Spin.