CFP moving to 12 teams?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Yea, but in the other 4 years there were at least 2 teams. 2014 had 3 Big 12 teams in the playoff scenario.
uh, yeah...when I said in 3 of the 7 years there was only one Big 12 team, that would mean in the other 4 there was at least two...the main thing about my post was that "not much will change with us unless we win or are in the Big 12 championship game"...of the last four years projections, two made it, both were in the B12 championship game and were close games...

Jul 31, 2008
Why a 12 team playoff giving 4 teams a bye? I've always heard one of the reasons they didn't want to expand was for the health of the athletes playing too many games? It's OK now for some of them to play an extra game?

Why not make it a 16 team playoff, it's the same number of weeks. A 12 team playoff rewards the 4 conference champions which more likely than not comes from the Power 5.

16 team playoff and the first 8 seeds get a home game the first round.
The conference Champ by definition has already played an extra game.
If the runner up makes the top 12, then he's the one that gets screwed in playing one more game vs the bye guys.

But like in another post, the sweet route is to finish high but not play in your Champ game.
This is why Notre Dame is ok with not being in the bye-pool. They have to play an extra game to be on same # of games as the top 4 teams.

Jul 31, 2008
uh, yeah...when I said in 3 of the 7 years there was only one Big 12 team, that would mean in the other 4 there was at least two...the main thing about my post was that "not much will change with us unless we win or are in the Big 12 championship game"...of the last four years projections, two made it, both were in the B12 championship game and were close games...
Don't forget we are battling 10 teams vs conferences with 14 teams. So just by the math, we'll get less teams in. That and the fact we play everyone in the conference and then the top 2 meet again . . . stupid now.

Jul 31, 2008
This would be a loophole in the selection process. Condition should be added that if you have a conference championship, either one or both of the participating teams have priority in the selection process before any other teams in that conference . If both teams are not selected by the committee then no other teams in that conference can be selected by the committee. It would take some the subjective selection process out of the corrupt selection committee’s hands. If this is not added then it would put into question even having championship games and add to the corrupt nature of the selection process.
Why ? If you have a 3 way tie and use tie breakers, what's wrong with the guy that didn't get to the Champ game jumping the the guy that did but lost ?

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I don't disagree, I was simply pointing out that it's not a given the top 4 ranked teams get a bye.

This favors heavily the Power 5 conferences and maintains the status quo in regards to recruiting, TV revenue, etc.

Should not all NCAA dues paying members have an equal shot?

On the NCAA webpage:

Active members have the right to compete in NCAA championships.

All association-wide governing bodies are charged with upholding and advancing the Association’s core values of fairness, safety and equal opportunity for all student-athletes.

https://www.ncaa.org/governance/membership

The proposed playoff doesn't seem to hold with the NCAA core values.
Well, in this regard, it never has.
Exactly the NCAA does not run the championships for football.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2017
Enid
Why ? If you have a 3 way tie and use tie breakers, what's wrong with the guy that didn't get to the Champ game jumping the the guy that did but lost ?
That would be a no-win scenario for OSU especially if the other 2 teams are OU and Texas no matter if we were the one that got to play in the championship game or the one that had to sit out.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
Tie breakers are there for a reason. If the teams earn the right to play in the Conference championship game due to tie breakers, then those 2 teams should have priority in the selection process based upon their body of work for the entire conference season. If the committee feels that the 3rd team in the tie breaker scenario is worthy on one of 12 teams, then take three. That’s a better approach than letting the selection committee decide how to rank the 3 teams that tied. OSU NEVER comes out well in those situations...or any other non-blue blood team. Branded “eye test” blue bloods always get the edge.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Exactly the NCAA does not run the championships for football.

No, but they are all members of the NCAA, and what’s it say their core values are?
It doesn't matter. That section deals with how championships are run. NCAA has no jurisdiction in this matter unless they start their own football championships.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
The CFP chooses the teams. If 2 teams tie for the conference championship and ou or ut is one game back in third, don't be shocked when the champ game winner and 3rd place team get in the playoffs.

Also, arguments over teams 7-15 in football will be like basketball teams 60-70. Legitimate arguments, but likely superfluous.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
2019 cfp rank.jpg

What's the odds that in 2019 either Alabama, Notre Dame or both would have found their way into the top 12?

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I like the move; no Power 5 Conference gets screwed out; NonConference matters even more; I also like the idea of top seeds getting to host one their home field.

I'd like to guarantee at least one-two mid majors get in.