CFP moving to 12 teams?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Stop worrying about all the reasons we might not be in. We had close to zero chance of getting in the 4 team playoff and we have a great chance of being a regular in the 12 team playoff. Are you afraid of bias or getting cheated by the eye test? Then just win and the rest takes care of itself. Without the wins why do even think we should be a participant?

Scheduling Bama last week was a step in the right direction. Play good teams in the non-conference, beat them, be the 1st or 2nd place team in the Big 12 and we're in!

Oct 30, 2007
I love it. I always thought that we would go from 4 to 8, but this is even better. The conference championship games for the larger conferences essentially become the first round of the playoffs, and the Cinderella teams get a shot to make the CFP. I really enjoyed watching the Peach Bowl last year with Georgia & Cincinnati. I would love to see a matchup like that in the CFP.

The only downside is that this would further reduce the importance of the non-CFP bowls, but that's happening already with the player opt-outs.

BTW, the Big 12 has had 2 teams in the top 12 of final CFP rankings for the past 2 years, so we'll definitely have a chance to get multiple teams in at times.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Why a 12 team playoff giving 4 teams a bye? I've always heard one of the reasons they didn't want to expand was for the health of the athletes playing too many games? It's OK now for some of them to play an extra game?

Why not make it a 16 team playoff, it's the same number of weeks. A 12 team playoff rewards the 4 conference champions which more likely than not comes from the Power 5.

16 team playoff and the first 8 seeds get a home game the first round.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
It looks like the AAC champion will also get in.

"The proposal calls for the bracket to include the six highest-ranked conference champions and the six remaining highest-ranked teams as determined by the CFP selection committee"

6 highest ranked conference champs.
How does this not contradict : “No conference would qualify automatically and there would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference," the proposal states.

I can appreciate if one G5 champ could possibly be ranked ahead of the lowest P5 champ, but even in this event, every P5 champ gets in. Only in a such event that two G5 champs are somehow both ranked ahead of the weakest P5 champ would this come to play

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Why a 12 team playoff giving 4 teams a bye? I've always heard one of the reasons they didn't want to expand was for the health of the athletes playing too many games? It's OK now for some of them to play an extra game?

Why not make it a 16 team playoff, it's the same number of weeks. A 12 team playoff rewards the 4 conference champions which more likely than not comes from the Power 5.

It always was okay for them to play an extra game. That was just a built in excuse that somehow ignored the fact that the FCS had been doing this for a while. I am not opposed to 16 but I also kind of like 12. We get a bye week for the top 4 teams, which is a nice reward and makes the regular season very important because that 1st round bye & a home game will be coveted by everyone. And with 12, we have a slightly higher product value on the field than we would with 16.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
It always was okay for them to play an extra game. That was just a built in excuse that somehow ignored the fact that the FCS had been doing this for a while. I am not opposed to 16 but I also kind of like 12. We get a bye week for the top 4 teams, which is a nice reward and makes the regular season very important because that 1st round bye & a home game will be coveted by everyone. And with 12, we have a slightly higher product value on the field than we would with 16.
Not exactly.

Under the proposal for a 12-team format, the four highest-ranked conference champions would be seeded 1-4 and receive a first-round bye.

Independents would never qualify for a first round bye regardless of their rank.

Lets go back to 2018 (a normal full season)

2018 Season

The four bye's would belong to based on CFP rankings....

1 Alabama
2 Clemson
4 Oklahoma
6 Ohio State

The next 8 that have to play an extra game.

3 Notre Dame
5 Georgia
7 Michigan
8 UCF
9 Washington
10 Florida
11 LSU
12 Penn State

Who got in?

SEC: 4 Teams
Big 10: 3 Teams
ACC: 2 Teams
Big 12: 1 Team

AAC: 1 Team
PAC 12: 1 Team

Only 1 team outside the Power 5 gets in....

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Not exactly.

Under the proposal for a 12-team format, the four highest-ranked conference champions would be seeded 1-4 and receive a first-round bye.

Independents would never qualify for a first round bye regardless of their rank.

2018 Season

1 Alabama
2 Clemson
4 Oklahoma
6 Ohio State

3 Notre Dame
5 Georgia
7 Michigan
8 UCF
9 Washington
10 Florida
11 LSU
12 Penn State

Who got in?

Well, to first address the independents not getting a bye- sucks for them. Join a conference.

In regard to only one G5 gets in in the 2018 playoff, yeah, that'll happen. In most years only a couple G5 teams are legit really good anyway. And it gives the iowa states and oklahoma states of the world a legit shot. That, to me, is the major factor.

I think this new model gives great opportunity for a 9-0 cincinnati and a 11-0 coastal carolina, or a 12-0 ucf a chance to be the cinderella. This of course would be dependent on the rankings. Even at 11--0 coastal carolina was 12th, two spots behind 6-3 iowa state. So they'd still be fighting the P5 bias, or i guess a better way to put it is the negative bias toward G5.

I have a solution to this problem though. Pit the top 4 G5 ranked teams in a small playoff, with the winner getting an at large spot.

What would that look like in 2020?

9-0 Cincinnati vs 7-0 San jose st
11-0 coastal carolina vs 9-1 Louisiana

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Well, to first address the independents not getting a bye- sucks for them. Join a conference.
I don't disagree, I was simply pointing out that it's not a given the top 4 ranked teams get a bye.

In regard to only one G5 gets in in the 2018 playoff, yeah, that'll happen. In most years only a couple G5 teams are legit really good anyway. And it gives the iowa states and oklahoma states of the world a legit shot. That, to me, is the major factor.

I think this new model gives great opportunity for a 9-0 cincinnati and a 11-0 coastal carolina, or a 12-0 ucf a chance to be the cinderella. This of course would be dependent on the rankings. Even at 11--0 coastal carolina was 12th, two spots behind 6-3 iowa state. So they'd still be fighting the P5 bias, or i guess a better way to put it is the negative bias toward G5.

I have a solution to this problem though. Pit the top 4 G5 ranked teams in a small playoff, with the winner getting an at large spot.

What would that look like in 2020?

9-0 Cincinnati vs 7-0 San jose st
11-0 coastal carolina vs 9-1 Louisiana
This favors heavily the Power 5 conferences and maintains the status quo in regards to recruiting, TV revenue, etc.

Should not all NCAA dues paying members have an equal shot?

On the NCAA webpage:

Active members have the right to compete in NCAA championships.

All association-wide governing bodies are charged with upholding and advancing the Association’s core values of fairness, safety and equal opportunity for all student-athletes.

https://www.ncaa.org/governance/membership

The proposed playoff doesn't seem to hold with the NCAA core values.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I don't disagree, I was simply pointing out that it's not a given the top 4 ranked teams get a bye.

This favors heavily the Power 5 conferences and maintains the status quo in regards to recruiting, TV revenue, etc.

Should not all NCAA dues paying members have an equal shot?

On the NCAA webpage:

Active members have the right to compete in NCAA championships.

All association-wide governing bodies are charged with upholding and advancing the Association’s core values of fairness, safety and equal opportunity for all student-athletes.

https://www.ncaa.org/governance/membership

The proposed playoff doesn't seem to hold with the NCAA core values.
Well, in this regard, it never has.

Nov 6, 2010

Agreed, the byes are too much of an advantage. Do 8 or 16 and drop a regular season game.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
I can picture it now. OSU finally makes the big 12 title game, loses, and the 3td place team in the conference, Texas, who didn't play an extra game against ou, jumps us in the rankings and slides into the cfp.
This would be a loophole in the selection process. Condition should be added that if you have a conference championship, either one or both of the participating teams have priority in the selection process before any other teams in that conference . If both teams are not selected by the committee then no other teams in that conference can be selected by the committee. It would take some the subjective selection process out of the corrupt selection committee’s hands. If this is not added then it would put into question even having championship games and add to the corrupt nature of the selection process.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Not exactly.

2018 Season

1 Alabama
2 Clemson
4 Oklahoma
6 Ohio State

3 Notre Dame
5 Georgia
7 Michigan
8 UCF
9 Washington
10 Florida
11 LSU
12 Penn State

Who got in?

I guess you're counting Notre Dame as ACC and not independent?

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK