CFP moving to 12 teams?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
“No conference would qualify automatically and there would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference," the proposal states.

Sounds like the SEC will fill the bracket.

Jun 28, 2011
Auburndale, Florida
An approach that also satisfies the G5 since a P5 conference champion doesn't automatically get in either.
It looks like the AAC champion will also get in.

"The proposal calls for the bracket to include the six highest-ranked conference champions and the six remaining highest-ranked teams as determined by the CFP selection committee"

6 highest ranked conference champs.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
I am all for expanding the playoffs, but not for the purpose that i am sure they want to do it, which is more tv time which creates more money. I am more for how Division 2 does their playoff system.
"The 28 teams are organized into 4 super-regions of 7 teams each, the top-seeded team in each super-region gets a bye during the first round. The champions of the four super-regions meet in the semi-final round, and the winners of the two semi-final games meet in a neutral-site championship game."
This would help create more parody in the sport, maybe including 28 teams is a little much, but it seems like the same 4 teams or a slight variation are always in the playoffs, but again just my opinion.

Jul 31, 2008

"The proposal calls for the bracket to include the six highest-ranked conference champions and the six remaining highest-ranked teams as determined by the CFP selection committee"

So they'll rank the 6 champs 1-4 with the top 4 getting a bye.

then reseed the remaining 8 (including the 2 champs that were not top 4) on best to worst.

Nov 18, 2010
Currently, there are 80 something teams that are disqualified from the playoff before the season even starts. If you're not in a power 5 conference, you are automatically disqualified. Non P5 schools will never ever get to play for a championship in football with the current system. I'd be surprised if the powers that be didn't eventually get sued over it by a consortium of these auto-disqualified schools who are constantly getting left out of the money and publicity.

More teams is better, in every possible way, for everyone involved. If football wasn't a blue-bloods only, rich guys protecting rich guys system, it would have happened already.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
An approach that also satisfies the G5 since a P5 conference champion doesn't automatically get in either.

That automatic qualifiers for p5 champs and the highest ranked g5 team if what I read is correct.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007

Ok, so we have zero chance of ever getting in under this system. One Big12 probably gets in and that is the conf champ (OU). The 6 highest ranked conf champs could have teams ranked 20 -30 qualifying. then, the 6 remaining highest ranked is all SEC. We would have to be ranked in the top 8 after losing the conf champ and that will not happen, about the best we could do is maybe 12th.

still decided by the CFP committee so the 6 remaining will never include anyone other than SEC and Big10. This would lead to some incredible stupidity. Easily could have a 4-3 Ohio state team in ranked like 5th because of the eye test (fewer games as Big10 still believes diseases cannot spread Big10 to Big10 so no non-conf games). Also, easily could have a 6-6 LSU in ranked about 9th because all losses to SEC teams, so those are really awesome losses and obviously better than a 10-2 Oklahoma State with two losses to OU, thus ranked 23rd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Ok, so we have zero chance of ever getting in under this system. One Big12 probably gets in and that is the conf champ (OU). The 6 highest ranked conf champs could have teams ranked 20 -30 qualifying. then, the 6 remaining highest ranked is all SEC. We would have to be ranked in the top 8 after losing the conf champ and that will not happen, about the best we could do is maybe 12th.

still decided by the CFP committee so the 6 remaining will never include anyone other than SEC and Big10. This would lead to some incredible stupidity. Easily could have a 4-3 Ohio state team in ranked like 5th because of the eye test (fewer games as Big10 still believes diseases cannot spread Big10 to Big10 so no non-conf games). Also, easily could have a 6-6 LSU in ranked about 9th because all losses to SEC teams, so those are really awesome losses and obviously better than a 10-2 Oklahoma State with two losses to OU, thus ranked 23rd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It looks like at least two Big12 teams would have gotten in every year except 2019. In 2016, it looks like we would have been the last team taken. There have also been several years where the PAC12 would have placed multiple teams. Yes, it will likely be slanted toward the SEC and B1G, but we should be able to make this once every 5 to 10 years, which is more than we will ever make it currently.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
"plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the CFP's selection committee."

They always leave this jewel in there so that "preferred teams" can be jockeyed into the playoffs....

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
It looks like at least two Big12 teams would have gotten in every year except 2019. In 2016, it looks like we would have been the last team taken. There have also been several years where the PAC12 would have placed multiple teams. Yes, it will likely be slanted toward the SEC and B1G, but we should be able to make this once every 5 to 10 years, which is more than we will ever make it currently.
You’re assuming the voting would have been the same with the CFP 12 teams on the line

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
You’re assuming the voting would have been the same with the CFP 12 teams on the line
Mostly, but not entirely. My honest hunch is SEC will get 3 or 4 teams in every year, B1G gets 3, the AAC will get one, and then the PAC12, BIG12, and ACC will most often get two but someone is the odd one out every year with only getting one. I think it will happen some, but if the SEC always gets four, at least two P5 conferences will be pissed. That either means two P5s are only getting one team in or the B1G only gets two. Both scenarios would infuriate at least two P5 conferences if they happen regularly. We won't get in more than every 5 years, but the BIG 12 will most often get two.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I love this idea. As it currently stands, there are only a handful of schools that compete for a national title each year (Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and the Pac-12 champ - typically Washington or Oregon). For the remaining 116 teams, the CFP is nothing more than a pipedream, and the best they can hope for is a decent bowl. There is zero parody.

I've seen several people - fans online, sports radio hosts, TV pundits - mention that this "cheapens the season." I disagree completely. Aside from the 9 teams above, it increases the value of the regular season dramatically.

You don't think Tulsa would feel more motivated for each game knowing that if they win the AAC, they can compete for a national title? What about UCF? Cincinatti? Coastal Carolina and Louisiana?

Every G5 team has at least a real chance to win a national title, no matter how unlikely.

And for the rest of the P5 teams, fighting to get to that conference title game will be relentless. It's basically a playoff game! You don't think conference wins & losses will matter? They're huge!

Also, non-conference will still be massively important. Think how large those games could loom come seeding time. The differences between a bye in the opening round, hosting a playoff game, and playing on the road are enormous. Each game will effect seeding.

Lastly, a common complaint I've seen is "well, get ready... the blue bloods are gonna make it every year." They already do! At least this way, somebody else has a chance.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Apr 7, 2006
I wish it were 16 with no byes but this proposal is 100x better than what we have currently. The system as is is today is essentially widening the gap between the top 5-6 schools and the rest of the country.