CFN.com Preview: Oklahoma State vs. Texas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
For the same reason people think HCMG is a good coach. Their records are very similar at this point in their respective careers. Working with Saban had to be an enlightening chapter in his career and I won't be surprised if he takes Texas back to or near the top in a relatively short time. We had better get him now.
huh?

Compare the 8 seasons that Sarkisian has been a college head coach to the same 8 seasons of Gundy's career...

Sarkisian

Bowl games 2-2 (4 bowl invites)
Win/Lose record 50-37 --57% winning record
Nationally ranked 20, 25, 25 (including this season)

Gundy

Bowl games 4-3 (7 bowl invites)
Win/Lose record 72-24 -- 75% winning record
Nationally ranked 3, 10, 12, 17, 19, 25
Yeah, I thought the original post was total BS from a hater. Now confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Nice job selecting the years you wanted to make a point. I'm saying they have similar (not exact) beginnings and there is no reason to think Sarkisian won't become a better coach along the way. Gundy has more experience and may be the better coach now. The original question was in regards to why people think Sarkisian is a good coach. No one said "Great." But why wouldn't you consider him a good coach?
Sark has proven himself as a great college offensive mind and a lousy head coach.

He was barely 500 at his time at UW. He jumped ship to go to USC for a whopping 18 games before he got canned for being a drunk.

Honestly, his resumé at UW would have put him on the hot seat or fired from most blue bloods.

I understand alcoholism way too well. It may have got the best of him while at USC. But I still can’t say a good head coach shows up to a game drunk, misses practice, and can barely talk at a booster event.

Maybe the demons are in his past and he’s free to be the coach he can be. Maybe he could turn into a good or even great coach. But there is nothing to say he’s been a good head coach up until now.

I think Texas is going to chew him up and spit him out. The last couple coaches had a much better resume going in and they were eaten alive.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
45-17
Texass
Really hope I eat crow, I just have zero faith in Dunn and SS.
Your name is pretty specific. So is your constant use of Texass. Were you spreading your good cheer over in the chat on 365 Sports YouTube yesterday? If that was you, it didn't look like you hope to eat crow. You (or this other person) posted multiple times that your prediction is a loss. Almost like you/they don't like Gundy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Your name is pretty specific. So is your constant use of Texass. Were you spreading your good cheer over in the chat on 365 Sports YouTube yesterday? If that was you, it didn't look like you hope to eat crow. You (or this other person) posted multiple times that your prediction is a loss. Almost like you/they don't like Gundy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yes, that was me. I love that channel. My prediction is my prediction, not what I’m hoping takes place. And I am hoping to eat crow. I’m not a big Gundy fan but appreciate what he’s done for the program. GO POKES!

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
At the beginning of the season, Texas was the one team that I most wanted us to beat--last year's game was brutal. I'm going into this game expecting a loss, as I don't have any confidence that the offense has been "fixed". Hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We all know a close game against a conference foe will be decided by the turnover margin. I mean we knew that until our last game, right?

This game may be crazy but it won't be another bizarro world game where turnover margin doesn't matter.

Jan 14, 2006
We finally have depth at receiver, Texas can't stop the run and we are the best defense Texas has played.

Texas will need to hit the deep ball to beat us and they only have one receiver who can do it. So far our corners have held up against pretty good competition.

I think we build a small lead for most of the game, wear them down and outlast them in the 4th quarter.

38-31 Pokes if both teams play normal.

Pokes win big if Sanders is on and we stop Worthy.

Texas can beat us if we give up deep balls or turnovers.

Nov 6, 2010
We finally have depth at receiver, Texas can't stop the run and we are the best defense Texas has played.

Texas will need to hit the deep ball to beat us and they only have one receiver who can do it. So far our corners have held up against pretty good competition.

I think we build a small lead for most of the game, wear them down and outlast them in the 4th quarter.

38-31 Pokes if both teams play normal.

Pokes win big if Sanders is on and we stop Worthy.

Texas can beat us if we give up deep balls or turnovers.
Agree with everything but the bold part. Maybe they've only had one break out so far, but you know they've got some horses that can run. But I think this is going to be the key to the game. Do we leave our corners on their own like we have been, or do we provide extra help and be a little less aggressive on D? I think we should make them burn us once before we back off, because our D gets a lot less formidable if we're not aggressive. Then Robinson can start to churn out first downs and that's not good either.

I hope we don't fall too much in love with our run game against their perceived inability to stop it either. We have to let Spencer throw on first down IMO, much less pressure on him that way. I also expect Brock Martin to be back in the lineup, but I hope we don't fall back on him too much because that takes Oliver out of the game, and I think we'll need him chasing Thompson.

Dec 11, 2011
Just win baby.
D is fantastic
O leaves a lot to be desired, but God help em if we figure it out.
Some of y’all need forks again; caw caw nom nom.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Didn't uT win the TO battle vs 0U . . . and lost ?
As we all know, that series is weird in a number of ways, TO battle being one of them. We listened to it on the radio and they said during the game that UT had won the TO battle 6 of the last 8 years, but OU's won most of those games. Oddly, the TO battle hasn't determined who's won that game over most of the last decade.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
The key's to the game.

Turnover Margin

Texas ranks #27 in the nation at +0.67. Two fumbles and three interceptions on the season.

Oklahoma State ranks #102 in the nation at -0.40. Three fumbles and five interceptions on the season.

3rd down conversion?

Texas ranks #10 in the nation at 0.552%
OSU ranks #43 in the nation at 0.442%

If OSU has fewer turnovers and wins the third down conversion rate against Texas, OSU wins the game.

We have to match Texas offensively in ball control and time of possession.

Season rank TOP: OSU ranks #43 at 31.10 and Texas ranks #64 at 29.51.
Tale of of two halves..

OSU.UT.jpg

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
Since 2010 Alabama has lost 12 conference games.

South Carolina (19)
Auburn (2)
LSU (10)
LSU (1)
Texas A&M (15)
Auburn (4)
Ole Miss (11)
Ole Miss (15)
Auburn (6)
LSU (2)
Auburn (15)
Texas A&M (NR)

With OU and Texas joining the SEC West things are going to get a lot tougher for Alabama. Texas with their money and recruiting base will get competitive again. Just the same as Alabama did when they hired Saban.
I do not understand where you are coming at? Texas has always had the money and recruiting base to be competitive. And they fall short of expectation. Year after year. In the Big 12 recruiting class over the last decade…Texas is ranked 1st in recruiting. 61% of their recruiting are blue chippers but yet they are 6th in the Big 12 in wins %. Just how do you think they are going to do better in the SEC? They could surprise me and be very competitive But I doubt it. I still have Texas losing two more(Iowa St and Baylor).

This article is from Feb. 2020…closest I could find dating past 5 yrs.

http://sportstreatise.com/2020/02/the-last-decade-of-big-12-recruiting/

Dec 12, 2020
OKC
I do not understand where you are coming at? Texas has always had the money and recruiting base to be competitive. And they fall short of expectation. Year after year. In the Big 12 recruiting class over the last decade…Texas is ranked 1st in recruiting. 61% of their recruiting are blue chippers but yet they are 6th in the Big 12 in wins %. Just how do you think they are going to do better in the SEC? They could surprise me and be very competitive But I doubt it. I still have Texas losing two more(Iowa St and Baylor).

This article is from Feb. 2020…closest I could find dating past 5 yrs.

http://sportstreatise.com/2020/02/the-last-decade-of-big-12-recruiting/
I guess my question would be, if Texas is going to turn it around in the next couple of years, what have they been waiting for all along? The thing Texas gains from the SEC is money and recruiting advantage, but they've already had all the money, recruiting, and 'name value' advantage they should need to compete for conference championships, and yet...

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
I guess my question would be, if Texas is going to turn it around in the next couple of years, what have they been waiting for all along? The thing Texas gains from the SEC is money and recruiting advantage, but they've already had all the money, recruiting, and 'name value' advantage they should need to compete for conference championships, and yet...
exactly…I just don’t get it why others think it will open up for Texas to compete at a high level. When they struggle here in the Big 12 with the resources that they have.

I believe OU will win multiples SEC titles before Texas will ever play for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.