CFN.com Preview: Oklahoma State vs. Texas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
The key's to the game.

Turnover Margin

Texas ranks #27 in the nation at +0.67. Two fumbles and three interceptions on the season.

Oklahoma State ranks #102 in the nation at -0.40. Three fumbles and five interceptions on the season.

3rd down conversion?

Texas ranks #10 in the nation at 0.552%
OSU ranks #43 in the nation at 0.442%

If OSU has fewer turnovers and wins the third down conversion rate against Texas, OSU wins the game.

We have to match Texas offensively in ball control and time of possession.

Season rank TOP: OSU ranks #43 at 31.10 and Texas ranks #64 at 29.51.
I agree with the first two, but this is a game where I think TOP will be meaningless. I think we can win TOP handily and still lose because if Texas is successful offensively, I think they'll score quickly on big plays. I just don't see them having long scoring drives against our D. Whereas we on the other hand, will most likely have to have long scoring drives because we just don't seem to have the big play ability this year.

May 26, 2012
OK. Someone snoozed my reply so I’ll give a more informative response. Gundy beat UT in 2018 when the Longhorns went 10-4 and beat #6 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. So, he didn’t just beat UT at their “all time low for several years.”

Better?
And how many different coaches did Texas go thru in that time frame? So they went 9-4 in the regular season and that is considered good for Texas? That is considered good for us. For a Texas, you get fired.

PokeIncognito

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 1, 2013
Usually I’m super optimistic and high on our chances. I also usually get super burned by it. This year, for multiple reasons, it’s been more casual for me, so a loss won’t be as hurtful.

That said, I don’t see how we can win this game. UT’s offense is actually good, ours is not. The advanced metrics paint a pretty clear picture. Our offense is pretty poor, our defense is quality. I am hoping for a win, but could very easily see us lose 44-27.

Nov 8, 2013
My Clemson alum/fan colleague asked me today if we are going to beat Texas this weekend. Here was my response/forecast:

I say yes. By 4-7 points.

Rationale –
Our D is playing lights out and I think they are up to the challenge. We really shut down Baylor, who has been strong offensively in other games. Texas is very good on offense and Bijan is a beast. So will be a good matchup.

We are rested after a much-needed bye week. Texas is hopefully tired and deflated. They lost a DL guy and their #2 WR in the OU game.

The key is our QB… will we get “Good Spencer” or “Bad Spencer”? (Spencer Sanders, not Spencer Rattler). When he is ON, he is very good. When he is not… the TO’s accumulate. We lost the TO battle with Baylor 3-0 but still beat them by 10 or so (an extremely rare statistical feat).

We beat Texas and we will be in a very good position for the Big 12 Championship game. Gotta get it done.

Jan 14, 2006
Can anyone tell me why some people think Sarkisian is such a good coach? He's never won more than 9 games in a season and his winning percentage is mediocre despite coaching at some good programs.

I see him as kind of a poor man's Dana Holgerson. What am I missing?

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Can anyone tell me why some people think Sarkisian is such a good coach? He's never won more than 9 games in a season and his winning percentage is mediocre despite coaching at some good programs.

Do I think he is good coach, maybe.
Why do so many people like him, he has had some success and he has went through the Nick Saban beauty program.

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
My Clemson alum/fan colleague asked me today if we are going to beat Texas this weekend. Here was my response/forecast:

I say yes. By 4-7 points.

Rationale –
Our D is playing lights out and I think they are up to the challenge. We really shut down Baylor, who has been strong offensively in other games. Texas is very good on offense and Bijan is a beast. So will be a good matchup.

We are rested after a much-needed bye week. Texas is hopefully tired and deflated. They lost a DL guy and their #2 WR in the OU game.

The key is our QB… will we get “Good Spencer” or “Bad Spencer”? (Spencer Sanders, not Spencer Rattler). When he is ON, he is very good. When he is not… the TO’s accumulate. We lost the TO battle with Baylor 3-0 but still beat them by 10 or so (an extremely rare statistical feat).

We beat Texas and we will be in a very good position for the Big 12 Championship game. Gotta get it done.
OU friend asked me the same question…..my answer is very similar to yours.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa

For the same reason people think HCMG is a good coach. Their records are very similar at this point in their respective careers. Working with Saban had to be an enlightening chapter in his career and I won't be surprised if he takes Texas back to or near the top in a relatively short time. We had better get him now.

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
For the same reason people think HCMG is a good coach. Their records are very similar at this point in their respective careers. Working with Saban had to be an enlightening chapter in his career and I won't be surprised if he takes Texas back to or near the top in a relatively short time. We had better get him now.
He better do it now than later….when they get into the SEC, he will never come close

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I agree with the first two, but this is a game where I think TOP will be meaningless. I think we can win TOP handily and still lose because if Texas is successful offensively, I think they'll score quickly on big plays. I just don't see them having long scoring drives against our D. Whereas we on the other hand, will most likely have to have long scoring drives because we just don't seem to have the big play ability this year.
I should have said match or better (meaning longer TOP). If we win TOP then we're converting third downs and our offense is moving the ball which keeps our defense rested and the Texas offense off the field.

Our defense ranks #14 nationally in 3rd down conversion percent. Texas? #86

If Texas scores quickly on big plays, we're in trouble......

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
huh?

Compare the 8 seasons that Sarkisian has been a college head coach to the same 8 seasons of Gundy's career...

Sarkisian

Bowl games 2-2 (4 bowl invites)
Win/Lose record 50-37 --57% winning record
Nationally ranked 20, 25, 25 (including this season)

Gundy

Bowl games 4-3 (7 bowl invites)
Win/Lose record 72-24 -- 75% winning record
Nationally ranked 3, 10, 12, 17, 19, 25

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
He better do it now than later….when they get into the SEC, he will never come close
Do you realize Texas A&M has a better record in the SEC then they did in the Big 12... Their schedule got easier, not tougher.

Jan 14, 2006
That's not even remotely true about their records.

You're not the only one that thinks that though, I've just yet to see a real reason why other than "worked for Saban". Saban has been coaching for a long time. The list of dudes who have coached under Saban is longer than my... well, it's pretty long. Not sure that means automatic success.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
With their inherent recruiting advantages and the right leadership, Texas can and will compete with anyone in the country. Top 5 class for '22 and likely the same for '23. A coach who knows what to do with this talent will succeed at the highest level. Those who think OU and Texas are going to fail in the SEC are delusional. OU is recruiting at an incredibly high level. Top 10 again in '22 and their '23 class is sick. I think we can still get Texas this year and maybe next if they are still around but it's probably a good thing both are kissing our ass goodbye.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We will win 34-28 good guys take it! We haven’t shown up yet…we will Saturday after two weeks to prepare. Hopefully the stripes won’t mess us over as they did last year.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
With their inherent recruiting advantages and the right leadership, Texas can and will compete with anyone in the country. Top 5 class for '22 and likely the same for '23. A coach who knows what to do with this talent will succeed at the highest level. Those who think OU and Texas are going to fail in the SEC are delusional. OU is recruiting at an incredibly high level. Top 10 again in '22 and their '23 class is sick. I think we can still get Texas this year and maybe next if they are still around but it's probably a good thing both are kissing our ass goodbye.
While I agree about UT they have found a way to consistently under achieve for quite some time.

Dec 17, 2011
While I agree about UT they have found a way to consistently under achieve for quite some time.
My theory is the same with schools like usc and ucla. Big name schools in big name cities. I am putting myself as a college kid living in Austin or LA. A recruit that goes to osu, Alabama, LSU, and so on will Excell because they are there for football and will put a lot more focus on that, rather than go out every weekend.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
huh?

Compare the 8 seasons that Sarkisian has been a college head coach to the same 8 seasons of Gundy's career...

Sarkisian

Bowl games 2-2 (4 bowl invites)
Win/Lose record 50-37 --57% winning record
Nationally ranked 20, 25, 25 (including this season)

Gundy

Bowl games 4-3 (7 bowl invites)
Win/Lose record 72-24 -- 75% winning record
Nationally ranked 3, 10, 12, 17, 19, 25
Nice job selecting the years you wanted to make a point. I'm saying they have similar (not exact) beginnings and there is no reason to think Sarkisian won't become a better coach along the way. Gundy has more experience and may be the better coach now. The original question was in regards to why people think Sarkisian is a good coach. No one said "Great." But why wouldn't you consider him a good coach?