CFN.com Preview: Oklahoma State vs. Texas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
This is a pretty simple analysis. It's Sanders vs. himself. He has less than 2 turnovers (interceptions or fumbles) we win. 2 or more, we lose. I know, I know he had 3 turnovers against Baylor and we won...but we're not playing Baylor at home. Playing the Austin Longhorns in Austin magnifies turnovers.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
In Knowles we trust. Stack the box to stop Bijan, put the DBs on an island and force Thompson to beat us with his arm. Our DBs have done really well against more accurate QBs. Texass will get a few big plays, and they will score a little. Hoping for Sanders to play like he did against them last year (without the turnovers) and against Miami.

31-24 Pokes.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
The key's to the game.

Turnover Margin

Texas ranks #27 in the nation at +0.67. Two fumbles and three interceptions on the season.

Oklahoma State ranks #102 in the nation at -0.40. Three fumbles and five interceptions on the season.

3rd down conversion?

Texas ranks #10 in the nation at 0.552%
OSU ranks #43 in the nation at 0.442%

If OSU has fewer turnovers and wins the third down conversion rate against Texas, OSU wins the game.

We have to match Texas offensively in ball control and time of possession.

Season rank TOP: OSU ranks #43 at 31.10 and Texas ranks #64 at 29.51.

May 26, 2012
Gundys days of beating Texas are over. The only reason he won the ones he did was because he caught them at their all time low for several years. I hope we win but don’t see it. We don’t have the qb or the offensive creativity to do the job. I predict, that whatever time Ou or Texas has left in the big 12 that we will never beat either again.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Gundys days of beating Texas are over. The only reason he won the ones he did was because he caught them at their all time low for several years. I hope we win but don’t see it. We don’t have the qb or the offensive creativity to do the job. I predict, that whatever time Ou or Texas has left in the big 12 that we will never beat either again.
Predict or bet?

Huge difference.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I guess this fits the narrative you want to tell yourself. What a sad story you write.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I'm calling it. Gundy is going to treat this like a bowl game.

Pokes 38
Horns 14
It's been five years since we've won/lost a bowl game by more than 9 points.

2016 - OSU 38-8
2017 - OSU 30-21
2018 - OSU 38-33
2019 - Texas A&M 24-21
2020 - OSU 37-34

And in that 2017 game we kicked a late field goal to go from a 6 point cushion to 9.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I guess this fits the narrative you want to tell yourself. What a sad story you write.
OK. Someone snoozed my reply so I’ll give a more informative response. Gundy beat UT in 2018 when the Longhorns went 10-4 and beat #6 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. So, he didn’t just beat UT at their “all time low for several years.”

Better?

Dec 12, 2020
OKC
OK. Someone snoozed my reply so I’ll give a more informative response. Gundy beat UT in 2018 when the Longhorns went 10-4 and beat #6 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. So, he didn’t just beat UT at their “all time low for several years.”

Better?
Also, calling it "a few several" years is pushing the boundary of the common usage of "a few several". OSU won 7 times out of 9 years, which is just short of an entire decade.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2008
SC
At the beginning of the season, imagine if someone had told you that one of the two starting Big 12 QBs would be benched for too many turnovers, how many would have believed that Spencer Sanders would be the one left standing, still quarterbacking an undefeated squad?
Also, calling it "a few" years is pushing the boundary of the common usage of "a few". OSU won 7 times out of 9 years, which is just short of an entire decade.
We have lost two straight in Austin if I’m remembering correctly.

Dec 12, 2020
OKC
Is Texas considered to be better this year than last? Because it took a staggering number of fortunate occurrences for them to beat us in OT last year. Granted, I can't say that that OSU is better either, since we were pretty good last year.

Dec 12, 2020
OKC
We have lost two straight in Austin if I’m remembering correctly.
That first bit I wrote was an accidental leftover from a post yesterday where I started to type in this thread but switched into another thread because it's more about OU. I guess the web browser never forgot it and it got attached to my reply, making it seem like a non-sequitur. I've edited it out of my above post.

On top of that, I quoted nuclear orange as saying "a few", when "several" was the actual word used. Granted, I think that's pushing the definition of "several" too, but not bad enough that it deserved a comment, so never mind. Sometimes I get in a hurry, I guess.

Anyway, yes, two straight losses, and before that, five in a row with Gundy as coach...and Les Miles never beat Texas.