CFN.com Preview: Central Michigan vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
We dropped 37 on Notre Dame (and really only played well on offense for about 2 quarters) who has much better players than CMU at every position. They're back ups are better than CMU's starters. Our QB is older, the WR are older, the RB position will be fine. O line has to be better. If we don't score the same amount against CMU as we did Notre Dame there is something very, very wrong.

stonewallpoke

Durable Brigade
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Al Asad Airbase, Iraq
The entire playbook was open for ND. It won't be for CMU. Gundy plays em close to the visor in early season.
I think the philosophy is that we shouldn’t have to cook up and really spicy plays to get by CMU.

However, whether he ever admits it or not, that 2016 game has to be on his mind, and the team’s offensive style can’t have changed that much from last year, so why not look to put them away fully this time around? It’ll still likely be vanilla potato until we need separation, but who knows?

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
We dropped 37 on Notre Dame (and really only played well on offense for about 2 quarters) who has much better players than CMU at every position. They're back ups are better than CMU's starters. Our QB is older, the WR are older, the RB position will be fine. O line has to be better. If we don't score the same amount against CMU as we did Notre Dame there is something very, very wrong.
It's game one. The O underperforming shouldn't be too worrisome--depending on the extent. Now, if we're having problems by game three, then it might be time to worry.

Apr 14, 2009
It will be a dog fight! CMU is a good team year in year out! Some of y’all have been drinking to much orange koolaid!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2005
I don’t get all the hate for CMU. They did what they had to do to try and win the game and with some assistance from Gundy’s poor play calling and bad clock management and incompetent refs, were able to get a “v” for their won-loss record.
Clock management nor play calling was the final cause..

Incompetent officiating did however
Need to get off the Gundy hate.

Dec 9, 2013

I am a huge Gundy fan but I was so upset that day and for the rest of the week. I wish he would have sent his team to the lockers and taken whatever penalties came our way until they pulled out the rule book and figured it out.

But ifs and nuts…

Nov 18, 2010

Imagine a team gets stopped on fourth down on the 1 yard line. But the refs mistakenly give them a 5th down and they score on the last play of the game to 'win'...that's not the 'losing' team's fault. (I think that scenario may have happened in a Nebraska Colorado game in the 80's?)

It's one of the rare cases where they could change the score post-game, but I guess there is no precedent for that, so they didn't. But anyone who watched the game and is familiar with the rules that existed at the time, knows OSU won.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

If the call had been made correctly, then the game would have been over and we would have won....there is no question whatsoever about that fact. Having said that, I still cringe to this day that we came out for that last untimed snap in almost our base defense. For the love of Pete, rush 3, put 3 on the 20 and put 5 on the goal line and we still probably win even with the bad call.

OkState1974

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2007
Tulsa
Maybe the most important stat of the day, other than the blown call was this. 1-11 on 3rd downs. could not make the plays when we needed to. Extremely frustrating game to watch.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
And if I put on my orange glasses, we could have turned three field goals and two fumbles in the red zone into TDs and added another 26 points to that 37.
Totally agree. I can’t get behind the fans worried about this game. We’re either the team and program we think we are or we aren’t. There is no reason this team shouldn’t be back to up tempo and scoring a ton of points.

Struggle with CMU, hello Texas bowl and a 7-8 win season max.

OranGE-KK

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 11, 2011
Imagine a team gets stopped on fourth down on the 1 yard line. But the refs mistakenly give them a 5th down and they score on the last play of the game to 'win'...that's not the 'losing' team's fault. (I think that scenario may have happened in a Nebraska Colorado game in the 80's?)

It's one of the rare cases where they could change the score post-game, but I guess there is no precedent for that, so they didn't. But anyone who watched the game and is familiar with the rules that existed at the time, knows OSU won.
It was Colorado over Mizzou in '90.
Fifth Down Game (1990) - Wikipedia

Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
We were slow out of the gate last year against Missouri State, because a starting wide receiver (Langston Alexander) broke his foot in warm ups, our starting QB was out due to Covid protocols, Tay Martin injured his ankle during the game and was replaced by a true freshman, MSU had a transfer dual-threat QB that we had very little video on, and as a result, we had to cut back the playbook significantly.

If we come into the CMU game with a reasonably healthy team, we crush the Chips.