CFB Playoff #5 CFP, #5 Coaches, #5 AP

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OranGE-KK

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 11, 2011
The key is how many SEC teams finish with 0 or 1 loss in any given year. Only one 1 loss SEC team has ever been left out and they didn’t participate in the SEC Championship game and that teams was not Bama, Georgia, and LSU, who often get the benefit of the doubt because of their recent success.

2014: 1 loss Bama - In
2015: 1 loss Bama - In
2016: 0 loss Bama - In
2017: 1 loss Georgia - In, 1 loss Bama - In
2018: 0 loss Bama - In
2019: 0 loss LSU - In
2020: 0 loss Bama - In, 1 loss A&M - Out (did not play in SEC title game and still finished 5th)

You can hope they drop Georgia out if they lose, but it ain’t happening. We need to root for Georgia to win today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One thing all those teams had in common (including '20 aTm)?
They didn't play the horrifically weak schedule Georgia did this year.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Yep, that’s it.

Reece Davis started Gameday by saying win or lose UGA is in. Really hope Iowa wins today, if that’s true. I’d like to Pokes play Cincy in CFP.
If UGA loses, this is what they have to offer:
- conference runner up
- 0 top 10 wins
- 0 top 15 wins
- 0 top 20 wins
- 2 top 25 wins
- worse resume than Bama, Mich, OSU and Cincy

UGA may get in over Cincy, but it’s close. We’ll jump UGA if they lose.

There is a difference between should and will. Their minds are already made up. Only way I see Georgia getting left out is if Bama beats them by 20+

I find it unlikely their minds are made up when one of the top criteria is unknown.

Also, do you think the committee members from the B1G, ACC, PAC and B12 will let UGA thru unchallenged giving the SEC 2 slots? NFW.

Yes, yes I do. We’ve seen it too many times before. History has proven that is what they will do.

Perception: SEC >>>>>>> Everybody Else
Reality: SEC > Everybody Else

The SEC is the best conference but the gap isn’t as big as they the committee and all the “experts” think.

Let’s test your claim.

What year did the SEC get a team in the CFP that was undeserved?

The key is how many SEC teams finish with 0 or 1 loss in any given year. Only one 1 loss SEC team has ever been left out and they didn’t participate in the SEC Championship game and that teams was not Bama, Georgia, and LSU, who often get the benefit of the doubt because of their recent success.

2020: 0 loss Bama - In, 1 loss A&M - Out (did not play in SEC title game and still finished 5th)

You can hope they drop Georgia out if they lose, but it ain’t happening. We need to root for Georgia to win today.

Yawn.

How many non-SEC 1-loss P5 champions been left out?

This is a new year. There has never been two 0 or 1 loss SEC teams the same year that there has been enough 0 or 1 loss power 5 conference champions to fill all of the spots. There is no historical precedence for this exact situation. To say you for sure know how it is going to go is just wrong.

I hate that this is the world we live in, but 1 loss Georgia isn’t getting left out.

I really just hope we don’t have to find out. If Georgia wins, then that specific situation will still have never happened.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Yep, that’s it.

Reece Davis started Gameday by saying win or lose UGA is in. Really hope Iowa wins today, if that’s true. I’d like to Pokes play Cincy in CFP.
- conference runner up
- 0 top 10 wins
- 0 top 15 wins
- 0 top 20 wins
- 2 top 25 wins

There is a difference between should and will. Their minds are already made up. Only way I see Georgia getting left out is if Bama beats them by 20+

I find it unlikely their minds are made up when one of the top criteria is unknown.

Also, do you think the committee members from the B1G, ACC, PAC and B12 will let UGA thru unchallenged giving the SEC 2 slots? NFW.

Yes, yes I do. We’ve seen it too many times before. History has proven that is what they will do.

The SEC is the best conference but the gap isn’t as big as they the committee and all the “experts” think.

Let’s test your claim.

Yawn.

This is a new year. There has never been two 0 or 1 loss SEC teams the same year that there has been enough 0 or 1 loss power 5 conference champions to fill all of the spots. There is no historical precedence for this exact situation. To say you for sure know how it is going to go is just wrong.

I hate that this is the world we live in, but 1 loss Georgia isn’t getting left out.

I really just hope we don’t have to find out. If Georgia wins, then that specific situation will still have never happened.

But you said history proves it?

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

One thing all those teams had in common (including '20 aTm)?
They didn't play the horrifically weak schedule Georgia did this year.
How do you know? Every year there are SEC teams that play a cakewalk of a schedule and it doesn’t matter.

Everyone that think 1 loss Georgia gets left out is thinking with their heart and not their head.

1 loss Georgia should be out but they 100% will not be. It’s the unfair system that has been created. All it takes is for them to break out the eye test argument again and they can do whatever the hell they want, irregardless of resumes.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Yep, that’s it.

- conference runner up
- 0 top 10 wins
- 0 top 15 wins
- 0 top 20 wins
- 2 top 25 wins

Let’s test your claim.

Yawn.

But you said history proves it?

It has. Show me a 1 loss SEC team that participated in the SEC title game that has been left out. It doesn’t exist.

1 loss conference champions that have been left out. That has happened.

2014: TCU / Baylor
2018: Ohio State

Also there has never been a group of 5 team ranked as high as Cincinnati.

Try more than a one sentence snarky reply and let’s see the data for your argument.

OranGE-KK

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 11, 2011
Bama is in
Cincy is in
From there, I think a lot hinges on Michigan. They win, they’re in & the last spot comes down to Notre Dame or Georgia.
Michigan loses, and ND & GA take the other 2 spots.
Just my opinion

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Bama is in
Cincy is in
From there, I think a lot hinges on Michigan. They win, they’re in & the last spot comes down to Notre Dame or Georgia.
Michigan loses, and ND & GA take the other 2 spots.
Just my opinion
The way all the others shook out it just wasn’t meant to be. Even with a comeback vs Baylor wouldn’t save us. We had to blow them out.

Jun 11, 2010
I'm not confident blowing Baylor out would have even got us in.

This. Going forward we need to be aware that a 1 loss Big 12 conference champ is not a lock for the playoffs. Seeing that the conference title wasn't enough to move Baylor above ND or Ohio state is indicative of a lack of overall respect for the conference and it won't get better once Texas and OU leave.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
It dulls the sting of losing somewhat knowing that we likely would have been left out of the CFP anyway, but still, getting that conference championship WAS important for building on the future. FYI, Baylor now has 3 of them since our 1 in 2011 and looks like they are going to have a good QB going forward.

Jun 11, 2010
It dulls the sting of losing somewhat knowing that we likely would have been left out of the CFP anyway, but still, getting that conference championship WAS important for building on the future. FYI, Baylor now has 3 of them since our 1 in 2011 and looks like they are going to have a good QB going forward.
And the bad news is we will likely be in their Division once expansion occurs. The road to the Big 12 title now goes thru Waco and Cincinnati.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Here's the deal, let's take Boise for example...while they lost to us and UCF they won vs BYU #12 on the road and beat an undefeated at the time Fresno State team...they are a weird up and down team but I count our win as a good win on the road...Not top 25 win, but maybe equal to one...KSU was #25 when we beat them, Texas was #25 when we beat them, OU was 10, Baylor at the time was unranked but are now #9. I actually think it's more important what someone is ranked WHEN you beat them because that shows your ability to rise above a ranking and play within yourself and still win..,I'd also say that the ISU game was taken out of the hands of the players by the stripes or we wouldn't have a loss at all...we were going to be the better team in Iowa that day just didn't get a chance to finish.
When you played them early their ranking is more of an opinion of how good they are rather than the reality of how good they are. The reality is more accurate.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
If you are going to take ranking at the time of beating a team into account, then you probably need to ignore the first 6-8 weeks of the season while the rankings settle out.

Or else we should schedule a Top 10 team for the opener every year. Many of them aren’t good and don’t finish the season ranked.

I do agree that how well a team is playing and who is available at the time should count, but I’m not sure that works to our advantage. Texas in the middle of a long losing streak, KSU without their starting QB, we played backups with TCU and Texas Tech (granted both coming off of hot games), Lincoln Riley had 2 feet out the door for Bedlam (although I would have rather faced Rattler earlier in the season), and we’ll get a hobbled or backup QB in the Championship game.

We’ve received a ton of good breaks this year with the schedule. Not saying we wouldn’t have won anyway, but everything has setup nicely for us.

I'm not sure how you schedule a top 10 team 5-10 years before the ranking comes out?

Five of the preseason top 10 are in the final CFP top 10: Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Cincinnati, and Notre Dame. Three are in the top 25: Oklahoma, Clemson, and Texas A&M. Two dropped out of the rankings: Iowa State and North Carolina.

Beating ranked teams early in the season does help you move up in early rankings. Losing to unranked teams early moves you down the rankings, even if later that team proves to be better than anticipated.

Early rankings should be ignored or not published, but it sells newspapers and internet clicks.

This is the reason the CFP doesn't start their rankings until later in the season.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I figured I would put it here while I've got a chance rather than trying to start a new thread. Robert Allen just said breaking news. Notre Dame has two players so far opting out of the bowl game. One is their premiere running back and the other is a safety.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk