Cancelling the National Anthem

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
If you cant see the difference between someone kneeling during the national anthem and someone showing up holding up a sign that says "God hates *homophobic slur*", than your judgement skills and moral compass are completely out of whack.
Your comprehension is extremely poor. Read my post again.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
A military funeral procession is not a time when people come together? They are public events —- have you never attended one. I did at the one in Owasso that had the Westboro losers attend and hold signs up.
I’ve been to many of them as a former civilian family support group leader and military spouse. They are not a time or a public ceremony where random people come together. They are private affairs where soldiers are laid to rest and family, friends, and colleagues mourn a loss. They are definitely in no way comparable to a public sporting event.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
You are undoubtedly arguing that they are similar.in more ways than they are dissimilar. You are definitely attempting to equate them.

Last edited:

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Gimme a break. You are the person thay brought them both up...get this...in a direct comparison.

You could have picked any number of things to compare kneeling during the national anthem to. Out of all those things you chose westboro baptist church. That says a lot.

Mar 11, 2006
Gimme a break. You are the person thay brought them both up...get this...in a direct comparison.

You could have picked any number of things to compare kneeling during the national anthem to. Out of all those things you chose westboro baptist church. That says a lot.
And that is where you and JD continue to misunderstand — or at least take the debate away from the core topic of disagreement..

You keep bringing up the reason behind kneeling. Great you support the reason - super. I doubt there are many people that don’t want equality. Yea, I could have picked a couple of other protests in solemn forums, but I utilized Westboro because I figured most everyone is against their protests (also because Westboro started taking a knee during the anthem as well). It worked. It showed you are against protests, during specific events, that you don’t agree.

Again, The reason is not the issue. I understand you want to cling and keep going back to the reason because that is a simpler argument that most agree. But the debate/argument is about the forum. It is the forum of the protest that is disrespectful.

A person could have valid reasons to be upset with the government. High taxes, incredible spending increasing the national debt, a President they don’t like, a Senator who votes against certifying the election. All are valid reasons as well, but the national anthem is neither the forum to protest nor would it be respectful.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
A person could have valid reasons to be upset with the government. High taxes, incredible spending increasing he debt, a President they don’t like, a Senator who votes against certifying the election. All are valid reasons as well, but the national anthem is neither the forum to protest nor would it be respectful.
So respecting a song adopted in 1931 is more important than the Reason behind the protest (equality)....which is a reason for the founding of this country that is Put to words in the Declaration of Independence that founded this country

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2010
So a song adopted in 1931 is more important than the Reason behind the protest (equality)....which is a reason for the founding of this country that is Put to words in the Declaration of Independence that founded this country

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Has anything positive come from the protests? We have a ton of problems in this country and systematic racism isn’t even on the first page. The statistics just simply don’t support the narrative. I guess I would be more inclined to support their cause if they would address something that is actually a problem ie. black on black crime, the fractured family unit, illiteracy, the alarming rate of abortion in the black community,etc. Until then the liberal platform will continue to support this victim hood and keep racking up those votes. It’s worked for the last 80 years and continues to work today. The worst enemy the black community has is the Democratic Party and it’s been that way for decades. We never learn.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Has anything positive come from the protests? We have a ton of problems in this country and systematic racism isn’t even on the first page. The statistics just simply don’t support the narrative. I guess I would be more inclined to support their cause if they would address something that is actually a problem ie. black on black crime, the fractured family unit, illiteracy, the alarming rate of abortion in the black community,etc. Until then the liberal platform will continue to support this victim hood and keep racking up those votes. It’s worked for the last 80 years and continues to work today. The worst enemy the black community has is the Democratic Party and it’s been that way for decades. We never learn.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Whitesplaining

Mar 11, 2006
So respecting a song adopted in 1931 is more important than the Reason behind the protest (equality)....which is a reason for the founding of this country that is Put to words in the Declaration of Independence that founded this country

It is not the "song", it is the choice of the forum for protesting that many view as disrespectful. You don't get respect by showing disrespect.

Here is a great article from Jason Hill, a professor from DePaul. I love that he includes one of my favorite intellectuals, Thomas Sowell, towards the end of the article.
Kneeling players betray the moral meaning of America | TheHill

Sep 3, 2010
What you call an assumption I call a secure prediction based on tons of given evidence.
That post was pure bluff or I would have gotten the same bet offer you made JD.
You are actually correct, I’m as white as the driven snow. I just think it’s hilarious that you would assume that. I’ve actually heard MANY black people make the same points. Is that “blacksplainning” ?Perhaps you have an argument that would contradict the points made? So far your only rebuttal is that I can’t have an opinion on this subject because I’m white? That’s ridiculous and you know it.

Sep 3, 2010
It is not the "song", it is the choice of the forum for protesting that many view as disrespectful. You don't get respect by showing disrespect.

Here is a great article from Jason Hill, a professor from DePaul. I love that he includes one of my favorite intellectuals, Thomas Sowell, towards the end of the article.
Kneeling players betray the moral meaning of America | TheHill
Thomas Sowell is a stud! By the way Steross....he’s black.;)

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
You are actually correct, I’m as white as the driven snow. I just think it’s hilarious that you would assume that. I’ve actually heard MANY black people make the same points. Is that “blacksplainning” ?Perhaps you have an argument that would contradict the points made? So far your only rebuttal is that I can’t have an opinion on this subject because I’m white? That’s ridiculous and you know it.
LOL. Look at your post. It is plain as day you are not black.

Nobody is saying you can't have an opinion. But, just like when an OU fan says "OSU sucks" I don't go, "Oh, wow, I love my school. I can't believe I am now finding out that it sucks from someone. I must accept their opinion even though they didn't go to the school, only know the school from the outside, and read biased reports about the school as their information. But, I have to simply accept their opinion or I will be taking their opinion away from them." Seriously, that is so very :derp:.

Sep 3, 2010
LOL. Look at your post. It is plain as day you are not black.

Nobody is saying you can't have an opinion. But, just like when an OU fan says "OSU sucks" I don't go, "Oh, wow, I love my school. I can't believe I am now finding out that it sucks from someone. I must accept their opinion even though they didn't go to the school, only know the school from the outside, and read biased reports about the school as their information. But, I have to simply accept their opinion or I will be taking their opinion away from them." Seriously, that is so very :derp:.
Nobody is saying I can’t have an opinion? Lol...that’s exactly what your whitesplaining link infers. It’s weak and ridiculous and everyone knows it. Again, do you have any rebuttal to my points other than I can’t legitimately have a fact based opinion because I’m not black? I’m not just saying “OSU sucks” I’m saying OSU sucks and then telling you why it sucks.

Last edited:

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Nobody is saying I can’t have an opinion? Lol...that’s exactly what your whitesplaining link infers. It’s weak and ridiculous and everyone knows it. Again, do you have any rebuttal to my points other than I can’t legitimately have a fact based opinion because I’m not black? I’m not just saying “OSU sucks” I’m saying OSU sucks and then telling you why it sucks.
You are going to have to explain to me how providing a link with MY OPINION of YOUR OPINION somehow takes your opinion away. And, OU fans point to the series record, and the school rankings, and the number of fans, and the revenue blah blah blah. Adding your biased and inexperienced reasons does not make it true.

But, actually, don't bother. I know it cannot be true and you are just further proving what JD has shown. You are a snowflake. You can't even handle even considering what other people think of your opinion so you make an absurd claim that it somehow removes your opinion. Showing the true privilege you have in that, unlike them (and the stats prove it), you have had absolutely nothing taken from you. Yet, your bias so strong that you can't even realize it and are whining for sympathy.

And, if for even a second I thought your mind was even a little bit open and could handle it I would explain the errors in your "facts." But, you have posted enough in the past few weeks to make it pretty clear that would be an exercise in futility.

Sep 3, 2010
You are going to have to explain to me how providing a link with MY OPINION of YOUR OPINION somehow takes your opinion away. And, OU fans point to the series record, and the school rankings, and the number of fans, and the revenue blah blah blah. Adding your biased and inexperienced reasons does not make it true.

But, actually, don't bother. I know it cannot be true and you are just further proving what JD has shown. You are a snowflake. You can't even handle even considering what other people think of your opinion so you make an absurd claim that it somehow removes your opinion. Showing the true privilege you have in that, unlike them (and the stats prove it), you have had absolutely nothing taken from you. Yet, your bias so strong that you can't even realize it and are whining for sympathy.

And, if for even a second I thought your mind was even a little bit open and could handle it I would explain the errors in your "facts." But, you have posted enough in the past few weeks to make it pretty clear that would be an exercise in futility.[/QUOhttps://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883
I admittedly don’t know if the author or the sources of any of the facts stated are black so they may or may not be legitimate https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883

Last edited:

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I admittedly don’t know if the author or the sources of any of the facts stated are black so they may or may not be legitimate https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883
That's the great thing about the internet, if you want to believe something, generally you can find some important sounding person saying it, whether true or not and as long as you don't bother to look into them, it all sounds good.
https://studybreaks.com/thoughts/heather-mac-donald/

drbwh

Federal Marshal
Sep 20, 2006
So a song adopted in 1931 is more important than the Reason behind the protest (equality)....which is a reason for the founding of this country that is Put to words in the Declaration of Independence that founded this country

The Portland riots, antifa, BLM. Those are all important and have benefited society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drbwh

Federal Marshal
Sep 20, 2006
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Whitesplaining
You scoff at my sources and you keep using urban dictionary. What a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk